PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I revert to 9.04 from 9.10?

Janeleaper
December 10th, 2009, 08:21 PM
OK, I've had it with 9.10. My BBC iplayer does not work for "listen again" programmes. Firefox loads really slowly, as if I had a dial up connection instead of broadband. But the killer is that I can't upload to flickr. I've tried several uploaders, but none work.

I've seen posts from several people saying they have reverted back to 9.04, but I don't know how to do it. Can anyone explain the steps please?

kellemes
December 10th, 2009, 08:26 PM
You have to reinstall the hole thing..
There is no downgrade procedure.

I'd try to fix the issues instead of revert back to an old os.

avtolle
December 10th, 2009, 08:27 PM
This will require a fresh install of 9.04. You will need to back up your /home folder so you do not lose anything, unless you created a separate /home partition (still, backing up your data, etc. files is suggested). If you have a separate /home partition, then I would select manual partitioning at step 4 of the install, and install 9.04 to the partition where 9.10 currently is located.

Janeleaper
December 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Oh heck! Sounds like a day's work. I'd have to install 8.04 because I have the cd for that, not 9.04.

Trying to fix the problems:

BBC iplayer is insoluble. I've already investigated this thoroughly. It seems it is a problem with the version of Linux Kernel being used by 9.10.

I'll do separate threads for the other two problems and see if there are any solutions.

slumbergod
December 10th, 2009, 08:45 PM
It *is* a day's work!! Well, it is if you customise your install by adding your favourite software, removing the junk you don't want, and tweaking the interface.

My main reason for not reverting to Jaunty is that I opted for the home encryption. It's a good idea and it works flawlessly.

The fixes for the issues-that-should-not-have-existed are slowly filtering through. The last one I care about is the hopeless wireless in Karmic. Why oh why does a popular and very widespread wireless chipset like Intel's PRO 3945 seem so unstable in Karmic? (and yes, I will mention that in every post *until* it is fixed).

trallallero
December 13th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I hope that the bugs will be fixed because actually I cannot work with this release (9.10) :(

EastKY_DO
December 13th, 2009, 02:15 PM
A days work is worth it to me. Karmic is slooooowwww! I'm backing up my home directory now onto a portable hard drive. I'll have jaunty back by the end of the morning and home restored. Minor tweaking will be needed here and there to get back to the settings I did have, but it is less of a hassle than putting up with crap that doesn't work daily.

Janeleaper
December 14th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I'm still torn on this. Although I've solved the Flickr issue, I still have a problem with Firefox loading slowly and not being able to play "listen again" radio programmes on the BBC iplayer. I've filed a bug report on the iplayer and hopefully this will be solved eventually.

On the other hand, a webcam was easier to install with 9.10. I bought 2 webcams, the Logitech C200 and the Logitech Pro 9000. I now know that the C200 won't work on 9.04, but it does work on 9.10. The Pro 9000 worked out of the box on 9.10, and I dont' want to find out it won't work on 9.04.

I've decided to keep 9.10 installed on this desktop. I want to install Skype and a webcam on our other desktop which is running Hardy Heron. I think I'll search for a compatible webcam, rather than upgrading to 9.10.

audiomick
December 14th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Here is a thread for tweaking firefox:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567

I am also agonizing about going back to 9.04 because my phone sync stopped working, but I don't have a cd for 9.04, and I really can't be bothered going back...:(

Janeleaper
December 14th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I've already tried the Firefox tweaks, but they made no improvement. It is annoying, because I like to boast to my Windows using friends about how fast Ubuntu is.

Janeleaper
December 14th, 2009, 01:06 AM
As a point of information, the Epiphany web browser is working fine on 9.10, and much quicker than Firefox, although there is the same problem with the BBC iplayer, so I'm switching to Epiphany for 9.10.

cagey5
February 10th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I went back to Jaunty for similar reasons - BBCi player, slower and slower internet connection, inability to network with Windows, v. slow boot etc.
I dare say most of these have been resolved by now but I don't think I'm cut out to be an early adopter. I'll now probably wait for the April release and skip Karmic altogether.
And yes. It was a full re-install for me too, but took hardly any time at all as far as I remember.