PDA

View Full Version : Linux is illegal!

snakeman21
December 10th, 2009, 03:47 PM
My god, how I hate uninformed people. But what's worse is uninformed people that will not accept anything other than what they know. This is what happened to me last week:

I was dog-sitting for one of my mother-in-laws friends. She was going to be gone for three days, so I was sleeping in her guest room. I brought my laptop with me (I run Ubuntu 9.10). She had given me permission to use her wireless connection while I was there.

I was installing ffmpeg from the Terminal when she came home, and she invited me to stay for dinner. I gratefully accepted. A few minutes later (the Terminal was still going through its gobbledygook) she looked over my shoulder for a minute and said started this conversation (as much of it as I can remember):

Her: What system are you running?
Me: Ubuntu.
Her: Huh? No, I don't mean the program, I mean your operating system.
Me: Ubuntu is the operating system.
Her: I think you're mistaken... I don't know of a system called "Ubuntu"
Me: It's a derivative of Linux.
Her: You're joking, right?
Me: Umm... no.
Her: But... Linux is illegal!
Me: Huh? Who told you that?
Her: My son. He works for tech support at Staples.
Me: There's nothing illegal about it, a lot of people use it.
Her: No, it's illegal! It's all hacker tools to crack passwords and break into servers! You didn't use my internet with that, did you?
Me: Yeah, but I'm telling you, it's not illegal.
Her: Oh no, what if the police find out? I'll be in so much trouble! They'll think I'm a hacker! I need to call my son!

At this point, she dials her son from her cellphone. But, he doesn't answer. She is becoming increasingly distraught, and I'm worried she's going to panic.

Me: If you'll calm down, I can prove to you that there's nothing illegal on my computer.
Her: Listen to me. How much did you pay for your Linux system?
Me: Nothing. It's free and open source.
Her: Exactly! Do you honestly believe that any legitimate system would be available for free?
Me: Have you ever heard of the open source community, or open source software?
Her: Yeah, my son mentioned it... He said it's like a cyber-community of hackers all over the world. They share virus programs and illegal software.
Me: Your son is seriously misinformed. They write, fix, and improve on software and redistribute it to make it better and help others.
Her: That's ridiculous! How would they make money?
Me: Same as you and I--Go to work.
Her: Not to mention, giving away software is illegal!
Me: No, giving away proprietary software is illegal. Free and open source software is software that people have written and decided to give away, and allow people to change and improve on.
Her: Don't lie to me. Do you really believe that?
Me: Well, it's true.
Her: Are you dumb? You think people just have the time to write programs without any monetary gain?
Me: Well, yeah.
Her: I want you to leave. I need to figure out what to do about this. I don't want to report you to the authorities, but I will not take the fall for this. If I'm going to be arrested, I'm telling them the truth.

We exchanged a few more words, but I was getting so pissed at that point that I don't really remember what was said. It was not friendly. But I left, and I haven't heard anything since.

I understand not knowing about Linux and maybe thinking that it's illegal. But refusing to accept any other possibility... Calling be a liar... Calling me dumb... It really grinds my gears!

NoaHall
December 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Idiot. Call the police on her - she's spreading malicious rumours about you. ;)

RiceMonster
December 10th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I question the legitimacy of stories like this.

CJ Master
December 10th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Me as well, but it never fails to be entertaining, so I don't really care.

Simian Man
December 10th, 2009, 06:28 PM

Yeah the dialogue doesn't ring true at all does it.

perce
December 10th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Her: Are you dumb? You think people just have the time to write programs without any monetary gain?

This is a common misconception. In fact many people - probably most, but I don't know for sure - get paid for the free software they write.

wojox
December 10th, 2009, 06:30 PM
So I guess you won't be dog-sitting for her in the near future ?

fatality_uk
December 10th, 2009, 06:33 PM

She knows Linux is illegal, but doens't know the most popular Linux distro?

NoaHall
December 10th, 2009, 06:36 PM

Knows? Thinks.

Kimm
December 10th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Yeah the dialogue doesn't ring true at all does it.

I'm sure the dialogue has been cut down and simplified quite a bit. It was written down after it took place, after all.

pwnst*r
December 10th, 2009, 06:40 PM

same.

over. the. top.

pozican
December 10th, 2009, 06:44 PM

I don't think he mentioned redhat....

Swagman
December 10th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I don't think he mentioned redhat....

Oh NoeZ.. that's commie aint it ?

Damng those Reds

fatality_uk
Knows? Thinks.

Wow, being picky over my response to a story like that!!!

emigrant
its sad u missed the dinner :(

Chame_Wizard
December 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Seems like M$ PR/FUD/lies have been brainwashed people a little bit too deep.:P

Swagman
December 10th, 2009, 06:47 PM
S'ok..

apparently he only like Stroganoff !!

Chame_Wizard
December 10th, 2009, 06:52 PM
The OP should say the the NYSE/Google etc are using Linux.:lolflag:

Tristam Green
December 10th, 2009, 06:53 PM

lol, me too. "No legitimate system would be *FREE*".

Hilarious anecdote, OP.

Seems like M$ PR/FUD/lies have been brainwashed people a little bit too deep.:P

Seems like you accidentally typed a dollar-sign somewhere in there. Unless, of course, you're attempting to be clever. If that's the case, I've never heard the joke before, please explain it to me?

Simon17
December 10th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Her: Yeah, my son mentioned it... He said it's like a cyber-community of hackers all over the world. They share virus programs and illegal software.

Wow. The only thing I can say is wow.

If you're going to make up stories, please don't insult our intelligence. With crap like that, you could get a job writing for NUMB3RS.

weavertech89
December 10th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Dude her son must be the stupiest guy on the planet, Linux is an open source OS that has be built by thousands of people all over the world. Hell linux is even in mac operating systems and microsoft operating system. Linux designed the kernals and every operating system uses kernals. ubuntu is legal, now using aircrack-ng or other software without permission of the person in charge of the hardware you are hacking is illigel. But you ask permission to use to internet and that is all you needed.

Tristam Green
December 10th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hell linux is even in mac operating systems and microsoft operating system.

Mac OS is based on BSD. BSD != Linux.
Also, where is Linux in the Windows operating system? lol

Dougie187
December 10th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I don't get why everyone is questioning the legitimacy of this story. I mean, what does the OP have to gain or lose by posting this? Nothing. It's obviously going to be paraphrased. Either way, there are really people in the world who think this way, so I don't think it's far from something that could actually happen.

pwnst*r
December 10th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Dude her son must be the stupiest guy on the planet,

lol?

alphaniner
December 10th, 2009, 07:01 PM
lol?

No lol for you!

pozican
December 10th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Mac OS is based on BSD. BSD != Linux.
Also, where is Linux in the Windows operating system? lol

^ What he said

RiceMonster
December 10th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Linux designed the kernals and every operating system uses kernals.

lol are you serious?

Simian Man
It's not even so much that the actual dialogue sounds completely made up (which it does). It's more that the arguments this woman has are all of the classic clichéd misconceptions about Linux: It's for hackers, how can it be free, how do programmers make money etc.

There's no way this happened in at all the way the OP said.

emigrant
why question about the legitimacy? had a nice bedtime reading... :)

Skripka
lol are you serious?

I like popcorn.

oldos2er
December 10th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Hell linux is even in mac operating systems....

Where can I find out more about this "Hell Linux"? ;)

Tristam Green
December 10th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Obviously it was code for BSD, since their logo is a devil. He just mistook it for Linux.

pricetech
December 10th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Just guessing here, but I suspect the story is a dramatization of a real, though not nearly as exciting, event.

As far as the son who does tech support for staples; have you talked to any of those guys lately ?? I grew up on a farm and I've known mud fences that were more intelligent.

LinuxFanBoi
December 10th, 2009, 07:14 PM
As far as the son who does tech support for staples; have you talked to any of those guys lately ?? I grew up on a farm and I've known mud fences that were more intelligent.

Funny you say that because I hear you can install Xubuntu on a mud fence. I over heard in a best buy someone was asking the geek squad to help him install a copy of a Redhat that the customer bought at the very same store. The manager told him that Linux was only legal on PC's that people build themselves, because installing it on a brand name PC violates the License agreement that the PC brands have with Microsoft. I loled at that guy, then continued about my day.

RiceMonster
December 10th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Funny you say that because I hear you can install Xubuntu on a mud fence.

No that architecture is unsupported by Ubuntu, but of course NetBSD supports it.

cariboo
December 10th, 2009, 07:20 PM
It would probably run Debian, as Debian supports almost everything. :)

Tristam Green
December 10th, 2009, 07:22 PM
It would probably run Debian, as Debian supports almost everything. :)

But would it dress up like a polar bear for a Klondike bar?

Chame_Wizard
December 10th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Seems like you accidentally typed a dollar-sign somewhere in there. Unless, of course, you're attempting to be clever. If that's the case, I've never heard the joke before, please explain it to me?

It's known and acknowledge by the FLOSS community(Linux Foundation,FSF,IFOSSF,developers,end users),that Mikey****+ their"friends" and Linux 'traitors'(like Xandros,Novell,Turbolinux,Linspire and everyone who paid them to prevent being sued for "patent infringement")keep spreading the same lies/FUD/false myths/misinforming multiple times.So much it becomes eventually "true" itself.

According to Net Applications,Linux/BSD has only 1% DESKTOP market share.........in the USA only.So I wonder how big Linux/BSD really are WORLDWIDE,since some analytic companies are geting paid by M$(indirectly).

:popcorn:

RiceMonster
December 10th, 2009, 07:25 PM
It's known and acknowledge by the FLOSS community(Linux Foundation,FSF,IFOSSF,developers,end users),that Mikey****+ their"friends" and Linux 'traitors'(like Xandros,Novell,Turbolinux,Linspire and everyone who paid them to prevent being sued for "patent infringement")keep spreading the same lies/FUD/false myths/misinforming multiple times.So much it becomes eventually "true" itself.

According to Net Applications,Linux/BSD has only 1% DESKTOP market share.........in the USA only.So I wonder how big Linux/BSD really are WORLDWIDE,since some analytic companies are geting paid by M$(indirectly).

:popcorn:

cool story bro

scottuss
December 10th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Although I often have doubts about such stories, I think there are people out there that would have similar views.

However, this doesn't read very realistically. She knew too much about stuff when she didn't know basic things.

And come on, her son told her about this community of cyber hackers that make viruses? If she's stupid enough to believe that, how come she was clever enough to realize that it wasn't Windows running on the laptop and that the Terminal etc was just some programs running on it?

Sounds like someone's been watching too much TV....

DoctorMO
December 10th, 2009, 07:29 PM
What I find amusing is the idea that he actually lost the argument. There are ways of dealing with a panic stricken person and there are ways to teach what FOSS is all about.

Perhaps we should start training.

As for the legitimacy of this kind of argument, I've heard it myself. But it doesn't take me too long to change the person's misconception. Normally the person is either spouting some garbage to garbage meme or is so unsure about technology that they think it has to be blessed by some higher power in order to be safe. (that power being Microsoft or AOL)

Now personally, panic is the problem. Getting people to calm down is a skill all and in it's self. Although I do remember when my old nan thought plugging my old laptop into the electrical socket would cause her phone bill some trouble.

scristopher
December 10th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Hilarious sounds like t reginald gibbons LMAO
ever read this one? {for his linux bashing its in question 8 where he hails BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system and amd processors are made in third world country sweat shops} you might ROFL you might get pissed i was a little of both- warning its pure ignorance- i wish ppl would quit slandering us :(
from t reginal gibbons on
http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html
there are a few other hysterical ignorant articals by this douche such as:
My Children Will Not Be Attending College
America's Death Machines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IS YOUR SON A COMPUTER HACKER??? {ROFL!!}

As an enlightened, modern parent, I try to be as involved as possible in the lives of my six children. I encourage them to join team sports. I attend their teen parties with them to ensure no drinking or alcohol is on the premises. I keep a fatherly eye on the CDs they listen to and the shows they watch, the company they keep and the books they read. You could say I'm a model parent. My children have never failed to make me proud, and I can say without the slightest embellishment that I have the finest family in the USA.

Two years ago, my wife Carol and I decided that our children's education would not be complete without some grounding in modern computers. To this end, we bought our children a brand new Compaq to learn with. The kids had a lot of fun using the handful of application programs we'd bought, such as Adobe's Photoshop and Microsoft's Word, and my wife and I were pleased that our gift was received so well. Our son Peter was most entranced by the device, and became quite a pro at surfing the net. When Peter began to spend whole days on the machine, I became concerned, but Carol advised me to calm down, and that it was only a passing phase. I was content to bow to her experience as a mother, until our youngest daughter, Cindy, charged into the living room one night to blurt out: "Peter is a computer hacker!"

As you can imagine, I was amazed. A computer hacker in my own house! I began to monitor my son's habits, to make certain that Cindy wasn't just telling stories, as she is prone to doing at times.

After a few days of investigation, and some research into computer hacking, I confronted Peter with the evidence. I'm afraid to say, this was the only time I have ever been truly disappointed in one of my children. We raised them to be honest and to have integrity, and Peter betrayed the principles we tried to encourage in him, when he refused point blank to admit to his activities. His denials continued for hours, and in the end, I was left with no choice but to ban him from using the computer until he is old enough to be responsible for his actions.

After going through this ordeal with my own family, I was left pondering how I could best help others in similar situations. I'd gained a lot of knowledge over those few days regarding hackers. It's only right that I provide that information to other parents, in the hope that they will be able to tell if their children are being drawn into the world of hacking. Perhaps other parents will be able to steer their sons back onto the straight and narrow before extreme measures need to be employed.

To this end, I have decided to publish the top ten signs that your son is a hacker. I advise any parents to read this list carefully and if their son matches the profile, they should take action. A smart parent will first try to reason with their son, before resorting to groundings, or even spanking. I pride myself that I have never had to spank a child, and I hope this guide will help other parents to put a halt to their son's misbehaviour before a spanking becomes necessary.

1. Has your son asked you to change ISPs?

Most American families use trusted and responsible Internet Service Providers, such as AOL. These providers have a strict "No Hacking" policy, and take careful measures to ensure that your internet experience is enjoyable, educational and above all legal. If your child is becoming a hacker, one of his first steps will be to request a change to a more hacker friendly provider.

I would advise all parents to refuse this request. One of the reasons your son is interested in switching providers is to get away from AOL's child safety filter. This filter is vital to any parent who wants his son to enjoy the internet without the endangering him through exposure to "adult" content. It is best to stick with the protection AOL provides, rather than using a home-based solution. If your son is becoming a hacker, he will be able to circumvent any home-based measures with surprising ease, using information gleaned from various hacker sites.

2. Are you finding programs on your computer that you don't remember installing?

Your son will probably try to install some hacker software. He may attempt to conceal the presence of the software in some way, but you can usually find any new programs by reading through the programs listed under "Install/Remove Programs" in your control panel. Popular hacker software includes "Comet Cursor", "Bonzi Buddy" and "Flash".

The best option is to confront your son with the evidence, and force him to remove the offending programs. He will probably try to install the software again, but you will be able to tell that this is happening, if your machine offers to "download" one of the hacker applications. If this happens, it is time to give your son a stern talking to, and possibly consider punishing him with a grounding.

3. Has your child asked for new hardware?

Computer hackers are often limited by conventional computer hardware. They may request "faster" video cards, and larger hard drives, or even more memory. If your son starts requesting these devices, it is possible that he has a legitimate need. You can best ensure that you are buying legal, trustworthy hardware by only buying replacement parts from your computer's manufacturer.

If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm. AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips. They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they deliberately disable the security features that American processor makers, such as Intel, use to prevent hacking. AMD chips are never sold in stores, and you will most likely be told that you have to order them from internet sites. Do not buy this chip! This is one request that you must refuse your son, if you are to have any hope of raising him well.

4. Does your child read hacking manuals?

If you pay close attention to your son's reading habits, as I do, you will be able to determine a great deal about his opinions and hobbies. Children are at their most impressionable in the teenage years. Any father who has had a seventeen year old daughter attempt to sneak out on a date wearing make up and perfume is well aware of the effect that improper influences can have on inexperienced minds.

There are, unfortunately, many hacking manuals available in bookshops today. A few titles to be on the lookout for are: "Snow Crash" and "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson; "Neuromancer" by William Gibson; "Programming with Perl" by Timothy O'Reilly; "Geeks" by Jon Katz; "The Hacker Crackdown" by Bruce Sterling; "Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland; "Hackers" by Steven Levy; and "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" by Eric S. Raymond.

If you find any of these hacking manuals in your child's possession, confiscate them immediately. You should also petition local booksellers to remove these titles from their shelves. You may meet with some resistance at first, but even booksellers have to bow to community pressure.

5. How much time does your child spend using the computer each day?

If your son spends more than thirty minutes each day on the computer, he may be using it to DOS other peoples sites. DOSing involves gaining access to the "command prompt" on other people's machines, and using it to tie up vital internet services. This can take up to eight hours. If your son is doing this, he is breaking the law, and you should stop him immediately. The safest policy is to limit your children's access to the computer to a maximum of forty-five minutes each day.

6. Does your son use Quake?

Quake is an online virtual reality used by hackers. It is a popular meeting place and training ground, where they discuss hacking and train in the use of various firearms. Many hackers develop anti-social tendencies due to the use of this virtual world, and it may cause erratic behaviour at home and at school.

If your son is using Quake, you should make hime understand that this is not acceptable to you. You should ensure all the firearms in your house are carefully locked away, and have trigger locks installed. You should also bring your concerns to the attention of his school.

7. Is your son becoming argumentative and surly in his social behaviour?

As a child enters the electronic world of hacking, he may become disaffected with the real world. He may lose the ability to control his actions, or judge the rightness or wrongness of a course of behaviour. This will manifest itself soonest in the way he treats others. Those whom he disagrees with will be met with scorn, bitterness, and even foul language. He may utter threats of violence of a real or electronic nature.

Even when confronted, your son will probably find it difficult to talk about this problem to you. He will probably claim that there is no problem, and that you are imagining things. He may tell you that it is you who has the problem, and you should "back off" and "stop smothering him." Do not allow yourself to be deceived. You are the only chance your son has, even if he doesn't understand the situation he is in. Keep trying to get through to him, no matter how much he retreats into himself.

8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.

Your son may try to install "lunix" on your hard drive. If he is careful, you may not notice its presence, however, lunix is a capricious beast, and if handled incorrectly, your son may damage your computer, and even break it completely by deleting Windows, at which point you will have to have your computer repaired by a professional.

If you see the word "LILO" during your windows startup (just after you turn the machine on), your son has installed lunix. In order to get rid of it, you will have to send your computer back to the manufacturer, and have them fit a new hard drive. Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface.

9. Has your son radically changed his appearance?

If your son has undergone a sudden change in his style of dress, you may have a hacker on your hands. Hackers tend to dress in bright, day-glo colors. They may wear baggy pants, bright colored shirts and spiky hair dyed in bright colors to match their clothes. They may take to carrying "glow-sticks" and some wear pacifiers around their necks. (I have no idea why they do this) There are many such hackers in schools today, and your son may have started to associate with them. If you notice that your son's group of friends includes people dressed like this, it is time to think about a severe curfew, to protect him from dangerous influences.

10. Is your son struggling academically?

If your son is failing courses in school, or performing poorly on sports teams, he may be involved in a hacking group, such as the infamous "Otaku" hacker association. Excessive time spent on the computer, communicating with his fellow hackers may cause temporary damage to the eyes and brain, from the electromagnetic radiation. This will cause his marks to slip dramatically, particularly in difficult subjects such as Math, and Chemistry. In extreme cases, over-exposure to computer radiation can cause schizophrenia, meningitis and other psychological diseases. Also, the reduction in exercise may cause him to lose muscle mass, and even to start gaining weight. For the sake of your child's mental and physical health, you must put a stop to his hacking, and limit his computer time drastically.

I encourage all parents to read through this guide carefully. Your child's future may depend upon it. Hacking is an illegal and dangerous activity, that may land your child in prison, and tear your family apart. It cannot be taken too seriously.

Simian Man
December 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Old Story.

You know it's fake right??

dmn_clown
December 10th, 2009, 07:35 PM
My god, how I hate uninformed people.

They probably feel the same way about you. Judging solely from your dialog, you could have handled this situation a lot better.

You were basically arguing with a mother over her son, seriously, you'd have better luck wrestling a wolf pack away from a deer carcass single-handedly in Yellowstone National Park during February than convincing a mother that her son has misled her.

You treated her with disdain. You failed to remain calm. You got between her and her son. You failed to mention the free licenses and explain how they allow re-distribution and you failed to explain the majority of open source code is written in large corporations.

Then you stormed out, lending credence to her son's mis-information.

If you really cared about ending her mis-information you would apologize to her for storming out, calmly explain open source licenses to her, and then demonstrate the various desktop software in a way that she and perhaps even her son could understand.;)

Tristam Green
stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire

Chame_Wizard
cool story bro

Don't blame me,blame the Closed Source/Proprietary Software vendor for it.People think that they are "safe hands" by them.

:lolflag:

Tristam Green
December 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Don't blame me,blame the Closed Source/Proprietary Software vendor for it.People think that they are "safe hands" by them.

You still failed to explain why there's a dollar sign in front of that M. It's a new concept to me; I'm just trying to understand the joke.

scristopher
December 10th, 2009, 07:37 PM
You know it's fake right??

totally not fake, look for dox on t reg youll find his crusade to visit the third world countries producing amds and how he claims they knew he was coming so the closed the sweat shops down. that guy is real

Chame_Wizard
December 10th, 2009, 07:38 PM
You still failed to explain why there's a dollar sign in front of that M. It's a new concept to me; I'm just trying to understand the joke.

People being doing it for years and now your are trying to understand?

Noob!!!!:P

Tristam Green
December 10th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I think you and snakeman21 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=567347) need to get together for lunch.

Simian Man
December 10th, 2009, 07:39 PM
totally not fake, look for dox on t reg youll find his crusade to visit the third world countries producing amds and how he claims they knew he was coming so the closed the sweat shops down. that guy is real

No, this is an old story. It is total satire which should be fairly obvious to any Linux user. It's a hilarious parody, but what's even funnier are all the people who take it seriously - including you.

Ylon
December 10th, 2009, 07:42 PM
My god, how I hate uninformed people. But what's worse is uninformed people that will not accept anything other than what they know. This is what happened to me last week:

I was dog-sitting for one of my mother-in-laws friends. She was going to be gone for three days, so I was sleeping in her guest room. I brought my laptop with me (I run Ubuntu 9.10). She had given me permission to use her wireless connection while I was there.

I was installing ffmpeg from the Terminal when she came home, and she invited me to stay for dinner. I gratefully accepted. A few minutes later (the Terminal was still going through its gobbledygook) she looked over my shoulder for a minute and said started this conversation (as much of it as I can remember):

Her: No, it's illegal! It's all hacker tools to crack passwords and break into servers! You didn't use my internet with that, did you?
Her: Oh no, what if the police find out? I'll be in so much trouble! They'll think I'm a hacker! I need to call my son!

At this point, she dials her son from her cellphone. But, he doesn't answer. She is becoming increasingly distraught, and I'm worried she's going to panic.

Me: If you'll calm down, I can prove to you that there's nothing illegal on my computer.
Her: Exactly! Do you honestly believe that any legitimate system would be available for free?
mmmmh, I don't think that you were exactly posting word by words... anyway, just more simple: tell her about the most great know human encyclopedia project Wikipedia?

scottuss
December 10th, 2009, 07:48 PM
That super long story post made me laugh so much it hurts.

The thing is, I can see real overly obsessive parents actually taking that seriously.

Brilliant!

Tristam Green
December 10th, 2009, 07:48 PM
All jokes aside, it is pretty funny when one *does* meet someone who is dead-set convinced that Linux is "the hacker manifesto" in OS form.

I do not deal with such people lightly, myself. Misinformation is one thing, but handling hostility with kid gloves is weak.

scristopher
December 10th, 2009, 07:54 PM
No, this is an old story. It is total satire which should be fairly obvious to any Linux user. It's a hilarious parody, but what's even funnier are all the people who take it seriously - including you.

its real the guys name is not really t reginald gibbons
did you even google or dig at all?
dude even apologises
http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.5.152712.125.html

Had I done a simple web search, I would have found that there is a Reginald Gibbons teaching at Stanford, who is quite accomplished and well known. Ordinarily, I wouldn't be concerned about this. It isn't all that uncommon for two people to have the same name, after all.

I have, however, become worried that the real Reginald Gibbons may be suffering some inconvenience due to my recent article. It has come to my attention that there may be a small number of individuals who might have assumed that he and I were one and the same. They may even have gone to the extent of emailing him some of the gruesome threats that I received in response to my article, from people who, with the same breath, told me I was infringing on people's freedoms no less!

I would like to offer a sincere apology to the real Reginald Gibbons, and I hope that my thoughtless use of his name has not caused him to be subject to vicious email attacks from marauding nerds.

I would also like to announce that I am now changing my pseudonym to Robert Reginald Rodriguez. There is a Reginald Rodriguez at large on the internet, but I assume that those people who were unable to see the letter T at the beginnning of my pseudonym will not fail to notice the entire word "Robert".

(P.S. Thanks also, to adequacy and elby in particular for keeping the site running over the last few days.)

ps u didnt have to be so mean about it either...

weavertech89
December 10th, 2009, 08:05 PM
kernals were based on linux, windows does use kernal. But yes to all comment linux is not and never will be microsoft. thank god for that. Microsoft is a problem in a half. But linux is a major OS there for it is used by many operating systems. mac is BSD... Other than that linux is bigger, better, and will give other operating systems a run for it money.

Grifulkin
December 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM
kernals were based on linux, windows do use kernal. But yes to all comment linux is not and never will be microsoft. thank god for that. Microsoft is a problem in a half. But linux is a major OS there for it is used by many operating systems. mac is BSD... Other than that linux is bigger, better, and will give other operating systems a run for it money.

For the love of god it is kernel.

RiceMonster
December 10th, 2009, 08:08 PM
kernals were based on linux, windows do use kernal.

You're too good to be true. I want to respond, but I can't help but think you're messing with us.

m4tic
December 10th, 2009, 08:11 PM
To the 'kernal' issue. I'm starting to think bean counts are connected to intelligence.

scristopher
December 10th, 2009, 08:15 PM
To the 'kernal' issue. I'm starting to think bean counts are connected to intelligence.

ive got 2 beans, because i never have a need to post or ask anything..... kernal tho... thats hilarious

XubuRoxMySox
December 10th, 2009, 08:15 PM

Geez... he gets called a liar by a misinformed idiot... and then gets called a liar again when he writes about it?

There's no reason to assume the worst about people like that.

-Robin

Tristam Green
December 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM

Possibly. Although my IQ is higher than my bean count.

m4tic
December 10th, 2009, 08:18 PM
ive got 2 beans, because i never have a need to post or ask anything..... kernal tho... thats hilarious

It's a funny thought though. Lol

RiceMonster
December 10th, 2009, 08:20 PM

My IQ is hidden.

Geez... he gets called a liar by a misinformed idiot... and then gets called a liar again when he writes about it?

-Robin

Yet there are more reasons to believe this is made up than not.

scottuss
December 10th, 2009, 08:23 PM

-Robin

I don't recall reading anyone explicitly accusing the OP of lying, most people were simply saying don't believe everything you read word for word.

DeadSuperHero
It's okay, I totally believe him.

After all, everything you read on the Internet is true.

In fact, I even removed all my Mono-based apps, for great justice. I don't want M$ technologies affecting my kernals.

Simian Man
its real the guys name is not really t reginald gibbons
did you even google or dig at all?
dude even apologises
ps u didnt have to be so mean about it either...

Sorry if I came across as mean, but the author only apologized for using an alias which was someone's real name. The article is still a parody and not a real opinion. Some of the comments on the article by people who believed the article was real are as funny as the article itself :).

scottuss
it's okay, i totally believe him.

After all, everything you read on the internet is true.

In fact, i even removed all my mono-based apps, for great justice. I don't want m$ technologies affecting my kernals.

lol :d

Tristam Green
December 10th, 2009, 08:24 PM
In fact, I even removed all my Mono-based apps, for great justice. I don't want M$ technologies affecting my kernals.

Great justice, comrade Psychopath. The Man With Much Hair will be pleased!

Don't forget to never switch ISPs.

XubuRoxMySox
December 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I'd hate to be a Colonel with a name like "Panic." When I was using Windows, Microsoft had one of their Generals spying on me once... I got an error message that said:

General failure reading hard drive...

I called Microsoft and demanded: Who the hell is General Failure and why is he reading my hard drive?!?

Grins,
Robin

Chris Edgell
December 10th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I've enjoyed this from start to finish--at least this far...I liked the bit about IQ and "My IQ is hidden", quick, creative response.

OP shouldn't go on the Oprah show if he enhanced his tale with rights of creative license...THERE he'd be in trouble, but I myself feel no snide cynicism about the story. Although I detected a lot more cynic than snide...I tend to agree with the people who have seen enough ignorance to find the story believeable (though a tad embellished, perhaps).

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

He fell off his ego and landed on his IQ.

phrostbyte
December 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Maybe she reads ShellyTheRepublican?

http://shelleytherepublican.com/2007/02/28/linux-the-official-os-of-the-axis-of-evil.aspx

lukeiamyourfather
December 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM
You should have gone to town with it. Told her "Well duh, why do you think I'm using your internet connection with it? I don't want to get caught!"

Twitch6000
December 10th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Dude her son must be the stupiest guy on the planet, Linux is an open source OS that has be built by thousands of people all over the world. Hell linux is even in mac operating systems and microsoft operating system. Linux designed the kernals and every operating system uses kernals. ubuntu is legal, now using aircrack-ng or other software without permission of the person in charge of the hardware you are hacking is illigel. But you ask permission to use to internet and that is all you needed.

You have mucn to learn..

Mac OS X is based on BSD and its kernal.

Windows has never used Linux. They have whats called the NT kernal.

jpmelos
December 10th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Thank you, guys! I laughed hard! xD Those two cases of the dog-sitter and the "modern parent" are great! Although I tend not to believe they are really true. Seriously, any light research on the Internet would reveal AMD as a legitimate company, for instance.

LinuxFanBoi
December 10th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I'd hate to be a Colonel with a name like "Panic."

When I was in basic training there was a cat who's last name was Sergeant. You can imagine how well that went over.

pricetech
December 10th, 2009, 08:59 PM
When I was in basic training there was a cat who's last name was Sergeant. You can imagine how well that went over.

Poor *******. We had a guy who's first name was Lucky. TIs had a field day with that one too.

Bölvaður
December 10th, 2009, 09:04 PM

yeah. who cares. Even if this is a troll attempt it is sad that the OP didnt have the camera out.

It's magic how swiftly people's views change after you claim you've never seen such stupidity and want to get it on camera. Well... or if they do continue, hitting the record button at least shuts them up.

pricetech
December 10th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I over heard in a best buy someone was asking the geek squad to help him install a copy of a Redhat that the customer bought at the very same store. The manager told him that Linux was only legal on PC's that people build themselves, because installing it on a brand name PC violates the License agreement that the PC brands have with Microsoft.

As ridiculous as that sounds (and while I suspect it had much more to do with the lack of ability on the part of geek squad to install Linux) there might be a bit of truth in his story. I've never read any ms / vendor agreements but there has to be something there that forces them to install an OS as universally loathed as vista on all their computers.

pirog
December 10th, 2009, 09:06 PM
dude, whilst reading this piece i thought you were not gonna get out of there alive! my stomach still hurts from so much laughing.
what are the chances that she'd have called the police and they did not know Linux was legal either??? Panicking woman, panicking policemen (with guns) and you, trying to hold off from laughing and pooping at the same time. Not the situation you wanna be in :) haha
legitimacy??? what does it matter - it is still funny ;)

julianb
December 10th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Some of the comments on the article by people who believed the article was real are as funny as the article itself

Post # 1 and all the posts that follow are a bizarre combination of parody, and posts that are NOT intended to be ironic.

I don't doubt that many of the amusing responses to this thread are jokes and parody. Telling the difference between a joke and a sincere post is hard though, especially when the post is brief.

LinuxFanBoi
December 10th, 2009, 09:11 PM
As ridiculous as that sounds (and while I suspect it had much more to do with the lack of ability on the part of geek squad to install Linux) there might be a bit of truth in his story. I've never read any ms / vendor agreements but there has to be something there that forces them to install an OS as universally loathed as vista on all their computers.

Well for one, they guy probably had no idea how to install it in the first place, and rather than appear an idiot to a customer, they invent something that's sounds believable. And there probably are people who believe that PC owners are legally bound to only use what came with their PC when they bought it. This is not an unfounded misconception because of the legal issues with Apple Inc.

pricetech
December 10th, 2009, 09:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IS YOUR SON A COMPUTER HACKER??? {ROFL!!}

I'm not worried about my son. It's me that I'm worried about.

While I don't wear the funny clothes, my thinning hair does tend to stick out in every direction.

I'm pretty anti social, preferring to keep to myself and mind my own business as it were, only emerging from my office here at work when someone has a computer problem I need to fix.

My wife thinks I spend too much time on the computer, though I only do it when she is either asleep or watching Hallmark Channel.

My grandkids think I can do "anything", especially if it involves a computer.

But most importantly; At age 51, what would be an appropriate time for a curfew ?????

lisati
December 10th, 2009, 09:23 PM

Ah, the germ of an idea for a study into the correlation between a bean count and intelligence. Things to investigate include the circumstances in which there's an inverse correlation and when there isn't.

I'd hate to be a Colonel with a name like "Panic."

I think he's somehow connected to one who lives in my nose. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Bogey_March)

I'm curious: where on the map is the State of Konfuzion?

BuffaloX
December 10th, 2009, 09:28 PM

The BuffaloX official explanation to the meaning of M$

M$ is derived from MS which is an abbreviation of Microsoft.

In this context the dollar sign is meant to signify the Pillars of Hercules.
Which in ancient time stood near the Straits of Gibraltar.
They bore a band with the warning "Nec plus ultra" which means "nothing further beyond" or "the edge/end of the world".

When the dollar sign is used to replace the S in conjunction with the Microsoft or MS as Micro$oft or M$, it signifies either that using Microsoft is the end of the world, or using Microsoft you will fall over the edge, into a bottomless black void, being trapped forever with no way out.

suitedaces
December 10th, 2009, 09:30 PM

If you're going to make up stories, please don't insult our intelligence. With crap like that, you could get a job writing for NUMB3RS.
Don't make me go Don Epps on you...

Tristam Green
December 10th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Ah, the germ of an idea for a study into the correlation between a bean count and intelligence. Things to investigate include the circumstances in which there's an inverse correlation and when there isn't.

I wear my Community Café lurk status with pride.

suitedaces
December 10th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Maybe she reads ShellyTheRepublican?

http://shelleytherepublican.com/2007/02/28/linux-the-official-os-of-the-axis-of-evil.aspx

Wait, that's fake right? Right?:shock:

Kdar
December 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I just googled "Linux is illegal (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=com.ubuntu%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=lFq&q=linux+is+illegal&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=)" and found out few other stories similar to this one.

It is hard to believe so many people think like this!!

And I think I was reading a news few month ago about some teacher than almost called cops on a student who was using Linux in her class. I forgot what distribution it was.

This is pretty funny too. I hope its not real..
http://www.adequacy.org/public/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html

MooPi
December 10th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I believe this FUD originated when Steve Ballmer called Linux "Marxist/Communist" software. I could be wrong cuzz I heard this guy down the street in the pub argue that Al Gore the creator of the internet , also used Linux and he was a Communist. We all know communism is illegal right? So they both must be illegal.

I'm usually not silly, because I'm a serious Linux geek.

blur xc
December 10th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Googled - "Is Linux Illegal" and found this- it's awesome.... http://www.adequacy.org/public/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html

BM

LinuxFanBoi
December 10th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I look forward to the day that someone comes at me with "OMG, You have Linux, you're a criminal!" I will dial the police for them myself. I'll even let them use my phone.

snakeman21
December 10th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Wow. Just wow. I've never seen so much ridicule on these forums. Honestly, what would I have to gain by making up stories?

I've run into people like this before, but I've always been able to explain to them that Linux is just another operating system. I posted this one just because she simply would not believe me. And no, of course it isn't word for word, this happened days ago. Can you remember what was said in a long conversation, ver batim? I think not.

Oh yeah, and I didn't "storm out." I was told to leave, and then the term "trespassing" was thrown around, and I wasn't about to stick around at that point.

Wow. If this is the attitude I'm gonna get, maybe I'll just stop posting and delete ubuntu forums from my speed dial.

Ji Ruo
December 10th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I used to play Nethack on someone's computer a few years ago and they were constantly asking me if I was hacking into other computers... unfortunate choice of name.

ZankerH
December 10th, 2009, 10:43 PM
This is why you should only respond with "If you would kindly respect my privacy, thank you." when asked anything about your personal life. Dealing with idiots like that isn't worth it.

Ji Ruo
December 10th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I called Microsoft and demanded: Who the hell is General Failure and why is he reading my hard drive?!?

Another minion of Professor Chaos?

http://soiliewatch.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/chaos-and-disarray.jpg

sigurnjak
December 10th, 2009, 10:50 PM

Here ! http://www.gentoo.org/ .... make your own private hell , make sure u use p3 with 64 mb ram and on board video on a 4 gig hd while using Portage !;)

speedwell68
December 10th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I have been told, by an employee of a major computer store in the UK, that Linux is a virus. He didn't have an answer to my response of "If that is the case then why are you selling, Linux Manuals, pre-boxed Linux distros and netbooks with Linux pre-installed."

murderslastcrow
December 10th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Yeah, apparently there's a virus running on the majority of servers worldwide and on an increasing number of cellphones- preinstalled! OH NOES!!!

This story doesn't sound unrealistic to me, I've talked to people who are equally confused and skeptical, to the point of outright fear.

Hyper Tails
December 10th, 2009, 11:34 PM

Agree, Some Computer tech he is

I told my friends and parents about Linux (even My Teachers!!)they didn't freak out about it

If Linus Torvalds decides to make it open source,it not illegal,
If not, You're Pirating software which is illegal

Besides, hacking and threats is not the purpose of Linux

You have a good point my friend
He needs to go back to school and get his head fixed :lolflag:

ticopelp
December 10th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Wow. Just wow. I've never seen so much ridicule on these forums. Honestly, what would I have to gain by making up stories?

Some people just get off on feeling superior and mocking others for no good reason -- don't take it too personally.

I've experienced stuff like this working tech support, so it doesn't seem like a stretch to me. Regardless, your story was amusing. Cheers and don't let the haters grind you down. :KS

snakeman21
December 10th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Some people just get off on feeling superior and mocking others for no good reason -- don't take it too personally.

I've experienced stuff like this working tech support, so it doesn't seem like a stretch to me. Regardless, your story was amusing. Cheers and don't let the haters grind you down. :KS

Yeah, I know. I was just kinda upset to come home and find that the thread was ten pages of people saying I made it up. Grrr.

Simon17
December 10th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Yeah, I know. I was just kinda upset to come home and find that the thread was ten pages of people saying I made it up. Grrr.

Well maybe if you hadn't made it up, people wouldn't be saying that.

Grifulkin
December 10th, 2009, 11:57 PM

Seriously, very nice for the lolz.

snakeman21
December 11th, 2009, 12:28 AM

You've hardly made any posts here, yet you're already insulting members. Wow. I wish i could be that much of a jerk and not feel bad about it. But unfortunately, I possess morals.

pwnst*r
December 11th, 2009, 12:30 AM

i had to lol

Old Marcus
December 11th, 2009, 12:47 AM
The OP story deverses a place on Computer Stupities (http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/).

Whether it is authentic or not, I don't know, but it was amusing.

Although the most amusing thing so far is the guy that thinks all OSes are based on Linux 'kernals'. :D

SLEEPER_V
December 11th, 2009, 12:54 AM
lol, me too. "No legitimate system would be *FREE*".

Hilarious anecdote, OP.

funniest thing I have seen on this forum 3v4r.

Groucho Marxist
December 11th, 2009, 01:05 AM

Fictional or not, the best part involves the presumed superiority of tech support at Staples. Seriously, these are the same people who can't bind documents in a straight line, let alone patrol the Internets (http://images.slashdot.org/articles/08/08/14/149224-1.png) in search of "Hackers."

AICollector
December 11th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Snakeman: Don't worry, your not the only one who has fallen into the deep, dark hole of these forums...

Honestly, I think the mods need to install a filter just to take out posts like that :/

Anyway, the story was fascinating, but word for word it does not make sense; I'll admit you said you were running from memory and I too have made similar errors.

Please, do us all a favour and take a cluebat to that woman's head...*sigh*

pozican
December 11th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Wow. If this is the attitude I'm gonna get, maybe I'll just stop posting and delete ubuntu forums from my speed dial.

That'll show us!

lisati
December 11th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I'm done with this thread. I'm sorry I even brought anything up. I have no intention of getting into and e-******* contest.

Good for you. But isn't the word "retarded" a trifle dated?

Frak
December 11th, 2009, 02:22 AM
lol joke is funneh

timsdeepsky
December 11th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I can not believe i wasted 10 minutes of my life reading this....

Frak
December 11th, 2009, 02:29 AM
But it reads like an episode of NUMB3RS...

TheNessus
December 11th, 2009, 02:35 AM
the OP-er should have said:

"Do you play music on your computer? do you use WinAmp? well, WinAmp is free, just like LInux is. Now F-off."

Sporkman
December 11th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I'd hate to be a Colonel with a name like "Panic." When I was using Windows, Microsoft had one of their Generals spying on me once... I got an error message that said:

:lol:

HappyFeet
December 11th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I don't get why everyone is questioning the legitimacy of this story. I mean, what does the OP have to gain or lose by posting this? Nothing. It's obviously going to be paraphrased. Either way, there are really people in the world who think this way, so I don't think it's far from something that could actually happen.

Don't you realize that some people on here don't believe anything that has not happened to them? It's sad really. I personally don't care if it's true or not, but I am not going to call someone a liar. That's why I have a lot of people on my ignore list, because I am sick and tired of seeing the same old responses from the same old individuals. I now spend most of my time trying to help people instead of worrying about individuals who are negative in every post, and do their best to discredit everything.

Hey snakeman, you seem like a good person, but don't let the negative people here get you down. Yes, you need to be careful about what to post if you do not want to get attacked, which seems to be the norm lately. Just post in the more benign threads, that's all.

CJ Master
December 11th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Don't you realize that some people on here don't believe anything that has not happened to them? It's sad really. I personally don't care if it's true or not, but I am not going to call someone a liar. That's why I have a lot of people on my ignore list, because I am sick and tired of seeing the same old responses from the same old individuals. I now spend most of my time trying to help people instead of worrying about individuals who are negative in every post, and do their best to discredit everything.

Hey snakeman, you seem like a good person, but don't let the negative people here get you down. Yes, you need to be careful about what to post if you do not want to get attacked, which seems to be the norm lately. Just post in the more benign threads, that's all.

I'm always curious who everyone has on their ignore list. :P

sisco311
December 11th, 2009, 04:12 AM
never mind

JBAlaska
December 11th, 2009, 04:46 AM
"Windows Vista is the most technically advanced operating system ever built" ..oops I just pooped a little.

True story, I went shopping with my dad on black friday, he was looking for a plasma TV...We went to several big stores and heard every BS rumor about plasma's..and I had heard them all before, until this one old guy at wal-mart said to us, and I quote "After about a year the gas will leak out of a plasma and you will have to get it recharged"..I kid you not!

HappyFeet
December 11th, 2009, 05:33 AM
"Windows Vista is the most technically advanced operating system ever built" ..oops I just pooped a little.

True story, I went shopping with my dad on black friday, he was looking for a plasma TV...We went to several big stores and heard every BS rumor about plasma's..and I had heard them all before, until this one old guy at wal-mart said to us, and I quote "After about a year the gas will leak out of a plasma and you will have to get it recharged"..I kid you not!

Wait a minute. I have not experienced this, therefore, it can not be true.

I'm just following several people's mantras in the forum. ;)

HappyFeet
December 11th, 2009, 05:37 AM

I've wasted my whole life dealing with,.....humans. Go figure.

earthpigg
December 11th, 2009, 06:39 AM
sounds like libel to me.

did you place her under citizens arrest and call the police?

LinuxFanBoi
December 11th, 2009, 06:53 AM

So when will the liquid crystals leak from my TV and monitors? or perhaps they will dry out before then. I would get an LED TV,but LED is a dangerous heavy metal, after all thats why LED paint and LEDDED gasoline was outlawed!

Common sense must be expensive because no one is buying it.

scottuss
December 11th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I have been told, by an employee of a major computer store in the UK, that Linux is a virus. He didn't have an answer to my response of "If that is the case then why are you selling, Linux Manuals, pre-boxed Linux distros and netbooks with Linux pre-installed."

The name of the store begins with PC and ends in World... right? ;p

scottuss
December 11th, 2009, 11:46 AM
sounds like libel to me.

did you place her under citizens arrest and call the police?

Um, wouldn't it be slander, since it was spoken?

speedwell68
December 11th, 2009, 01:17 PM
The name of the store begins with PC and ends in World... right? ;p

How did you guess?:D

I have also had an argument with two different sales people in Comet about Linux and the use of Norton. Once when I was buying my current desktop. they asked me if I would like to buy Norton and I said no as I intend to use Linux. He told me in a matter of fact voice that I would still need Norton to protect the PC, he just couldn't get it through his thick skull that even though Linux does not suffer from viruses, Norton for Windows wouldn't run on a Linux computer. He just kept bleating on about it still being 'PC Compatible'. The next time I fell fowl of Comet's idiocy was when I was collecting a Toshiba Netbook pre-installed with Hardy. Again they tried the hard sell on Norton and I said 'Sorry mate that won't work on an Ubuntu machine.' Again they argued it would, so I asked for a demo, he gave up as the netbook had no DVD drive. He then tried to sell me an external DVD drive.:lol:

nerdy_kid
December 11th, 2009, 02:10 PM

I have also had an argument with two different sales people in Comet about Linux and the use of Norton. Once when I was buying my current desktop. they asked me if I would like to buy Norton and I said no as I intend to use Linux. He told me in a matter of fact voice that I would still need Norton to protect the PC, he just couldn't get it through his thick skull that even though Linux does not suffer from viruses, Norton for Windows wouldn't run on a Linux computer. He just kept bleating on about it still being 'PC Compatible'. The next time I fell fowl of Comet's idiocy was when I was collecting a Toshiba Netbook pre-installed with Hardy. Again they tried the hard sell on Norton and I said 'Sorry mate that won't work on an Ubuntu machine.' Again they argued it would, so I asked for a demo, he gave up as the netbook had no DVD drive. He then tried to sell me an external DVD drive.:lol:

lol i hope i never meet somebody like that i might have a temporary lack of self control

Tristam Green
December 11th, 2009, 02:36 PM
funniest thing I have seen on this forum 3v4r.

I'm glad at least one person picked up on subtle humor :)

I'm always curious who everyone has on their ignore list. :P

Chances are, if he doesn't reply directly to you...

do the math :popcorn:

brydonhunter
December 11th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Her cell phone probably runs linux :D

trans.jedi
December 11th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Here we say: "Never argue with a Fool"

People might not know the difference (as one of Murphy's laws)

speedwell68
December 11th, 2009, 04:01 PM
lol i hope i never meet somebody like that i might have a temporary lack of self control

I was once banned from PC World at Marsh Mills in Plymouth and the staff of the one in Truro are scared of me.:D I go in there wearing my Ubuntu hoody or my Linux for Human Beings T shirt and they steer well clear, which is great when I go in there on my lunch break and I just want to look at the stuff un-hindered, but not so good when I went in there with my Dad to haggle for a deal on a new PC for him.

MaxIBoy
December 11th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I'm sure the dialogue has been cut down and simplified quite a bit. It was written down after it took place, after all.
This. You can't expect him to remember every "um," "err," and "uh." Even so, I doubt that's exactly how it went down, and it might not have happened at all. Still an entertaining read.

But if it did, don't worry. If she calls the police on you, they'll give her a fine, the EFF will write a blog post about how stupid everyone is, you will never get her business again, and that's the worst that could happen.

nrs
December 11th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I don't get why everyone is questioning the legitimacy of this story. I mean, what does the OP have to gain or lose by posting this? Nothing.
Entertainment? When I was younger I was known to spin quite the yarn. I don't think he's lying anymore than Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did when writing of the exploits of a famous detective. It's a story.

AICollector
December 11th, 2009, 06:47 PM

I'm going to have to point out one simple fact;

I hate sales. To those of you in the profession please do not consider this an insult, but should I ever encounter someone trying to sell me something who is a complete and utter idiot, or is just...trying to take advantage of a user's idiocy...I swear, I'll have a cluebat to your skull so fast your ears would pop...

Anyway, in my local PC world, they know of Linux, quite a few of the staff run it themselves (and I was recommended a few machines that went superbly with it), went with Staples instead; they also knew a bit about it but beat PC world with their price.

I've never faced someone who didn't know of Linux, and wasnt either a fan or neutral; I met this one lad; he had tried it for all of ten minutes, couldnt get it to read his Windows game disks...gave up and called it crap...the worst part? He's got a diploma in ICT from a College with Microsoft and Cisco funding...*sigh*

NoaHall
December 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM
In my local PC world, they sold my mother Microsoft office 2007 claiming 2003 would not work with Vista. It works fine. I told her this, and went along with her to get a refund, threating the sales person in question with legal action if they did not refund us.

These people need to be taught - they clearly know nothing about anything, even Microsoft related.

pricetech
December 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM
It's sad when you witness the level of imcompetence that most people who are supposed to be "experts" display. Even sadder is the fact that the rest of us are actually starting to get used to it.

speedwell68
December 11th, 2009, 09:25 PM
In my local PC world, they sold my mother Microsoft office 2007 claiming 2003 would not work with Vista. It works fine. I told her this, and went along with her to get a refund, threating the sales person in question with legal action if they did not refund us.

These people need to be taught - they clearly know nothing about anything, even Microsoft related.

I would have sought the advice of trading standards on that one. That is deception, pure and simple. Office 2000 will work on Vista and W7.

LinuxFanBoi
December 11th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I wish every sales rep in those big box stores had a hand held PC of some kind with just enough internet access to google every question their customers ask.

I remember seeing a customer at fry's about a year ago who said, "I have had a bad experience with windows ever since Windows 95, isn't there something else I can use without buying a mac?" The sales rep actually said "Microsoft has developed PC's to specifically run windows and they wont let anyone develop anything else." At this point I simply waited for the customer to be by himself, then politely informed him that he was being misled by an ignorant sales rep. I told him if he didn't mind a bit of a learning curve, there where many variation of the Linux Operating system that he may find something he likes.

My advice is this, If you need advice, you're probably more likely to get knowledgeable assistance from another customer than you are from a sales rep. At best sales reps in big box stores are trying to pay their way through school. At worst, they're just trying to earn their share of the rent they share with 3 other people and a dime bag.

pwnst*r
December 11th, 2009, 09:49 PM
lol @ that avatar.^^

LinuxFanBoi
December 11th, 2009, 09:51 PM
lol @ that avatar.^^
:d

LinuxFanBoi
December 11th, 2009, 09:52 PM
duplicate..

LookTJ
December 11th, 2009, 10:09 PM

That's disrespect to the customer. It's like a car mechanic talking about running out of regular oil and charging the customer with premium oil change.

tretle
December 12th, 2009, 06:29 AM
The dialog is so outrageously funny it would make a great advert for ubuntu :D
Could be a great series.

Khakilang
December 12th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Its one rotten apple spoil the whole bunch. Just because of some cracker or hacker who use Linux they assume that all who use Linux is the same. I think by just simply point them to some Distro website should work.

MaxIBoy
December 12th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Its one rotten apple spoil the whole bunch. Just because of some cracker or hacker who use Linux they assume that all who use Linux is the same. I think by just simply point them to some Distro website should work.
We owe a great deal to the crackers. Without them, Linux would not be as secure as it currently is. Have a look at this site:
http://insecure.org/

scottuss
December 12th, 2009, 12:26 PM
It's sad when you witness the level of imcompetence that most people who are supposed to be "experts" display. Even sadder is the fact that the rest of us are actually starting to get used to it.

Who said these sales people are experts? The general public may be under that false illusion, but I think it's blatantly obvious that they aren't

Disclaimer: One of my best friend's sister worked there, and she openly admitted knowing NOTHING about computers. She (and most of the other staff there) just read the display blurb (can't anyone do that?)

scouser73
December 14th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Me: Your son is seriously misinformed. They write, fix, and improve on software and redistribute it to make it better and help others.
Her: That's ridiculous! How would they make money?
Me: Same as you and I--Go to work.
Her: Not to mention, giving away software is illegal!
Me: No, giving away proprietary software is illegal. Free and open source software is software that people have written and decided to give away, and allow people to change and improve on.
Her: Don't lie to me. Do you really believe that?
Me: Well, it's true.
Me: Well, yeah.
Her: I want you to leave. I need to figure out what to do about this. I don't want to report you to the authorities, but I will not take the fall for this. If I'm going to be arrested, I'm telling them the truth.

We exchanged a few more words, but I was getting so pissed at that point that I don't really remember what was said. It was not friendly. But I left, and I haven't heard anything since.

I understand not knowing about Linux and maybe thinking that it's illegal. But refusing to accept any other possibility... Calling be a liar... Calling me dumb... It really grinds my gears!

Whether this is true or not, it's bloody funny.

User3k
December 14th, 2009, 10:06 AM
whether this is true or not, it's bloody funny.

+1

pricetech
December 14th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Who said these sales people are experts? The general public may be under that false illusion, but I think it's blatantly obvious that they aren't

That's why I said "supposed to be experts" and I was referring to the in store technicians, not ordinary sales people.

LinuxFanBoi
December 14th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I find the most big box store tech support guys have a sledge hammer approach to problem solving. Rather than investigate the problem and find an acute solution, they find it easier to pop in the OS disk and just format and re-install. This is not problem solving or tech support.

If that doesn't work they send your machine in for warranty service. Depending on who's backing the warranty, You machine may be obsolete before you get it back if they even choose to cover the warranty claim.

scottuss
December 14th, 2009, 07:15 PM
That's why I said "supposed to be experts" and I was referring to the in store technicians, not ordinary sales people.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound critical, I was agreeing with you! And with the utmost respect, I'd probably group the in-store technicians with the sales lot, except they have a little more know-how.

moonsoup
December 15th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Although I often have doubts about such stories, I think there are people out there that would have similar views.

However, this doesn't read very realistically. She knew too much about stuff when she didn't know basic things.

And come on, her son told her about this community of cyber hackers that make viruses? If she's stupid enough to believe that, how come she was clever enough to realize that it wasn't Windows running on the laptop and that the Terminal etc was just some programs running on it?

Sounds like someone's been watching too much TV....

... HERE! Let us take one persons memory of an event in which emotional states are running high, squeeze the results through a perception filter to be mixed with that persons own viewpoints for about a half an hour.. while they drive home to accumulate some road rage, then let the person try to remember the words back as they (with anger) hack the words at they're keyboard muttering at themselves.

Is it an accurate representation of what happened? unlikely.
much will be lost and misremembered. Do "I" think this person made this story up? Not likely. If you read and do not believe that this or something like this happened to this person, you must be living a life among people who think just like you...

Get out and see the REAL world! People are all mixed up and no shock there.

Besides, there are some persons who would like to make Linux illegal. (Penguin hunters all) and we may actually be seeing some social psychology side effect of they're rumor mongering. Mmmmmm... just think about that. :idea:

Kai Wei
December 15th, 2009, 06:01 PM
OMG. That is hilarious man. How can Linux be illegal. Why did her son says that? Wonder if her son is like a person who don't like Linux or Open-Source. Therefore he is saying that Linux is illegal. :x

sydbat
December 15th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I find the most big box store tech support guys have a sledge hammer approach to problem solving. Rather than investigate the problem and find an acute solution, they find it easier to pop in the OS disk and just format and re-install. This is not problem solving or tech support.This EXACT thing happened to a friend of mine at...you guessed it...Best Buy. All her data was lost. I did chide her about not backing up, and she knew she should have, but they promised her that they would back everything up. I told her to bring her laptop to me next time she has problems...

plurworldinc
December 15th, 2009, 07:14 PM

I would also question this story, but there have been a few stories out there in the past couple of years about people getting in trouble for using non Windows or Mac systems. What it mainly comes down to is far of the unknown.

Just last year there was two stories in the paper that made headline news about Linux and hacker(cracker). One was about a young boy in high school that brought his laptop to school for his computer class to show his friends what he can do with Linux and all the fun bells and whistles of Compiz. His teacher confiscated the LiveCD he was using and the sent him yelled at him in front of the class before sending him to the principle office.She also said Linux was illegal because it's free and he should just learn Microsoft which is legal.

The other major story was out of Boston, when a college student was working on a laptop in a public space at school and dual booted his laptop. He was eating his lunch and a security guard came over and demanded he had over his laptop and come with him. At the time he was on the Linux side of his computer in the Terminal.

My point is simple, if it's not Windows, or at least Mac, people freak out.

VastOne
December 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM
The dialog is so outrageously funny it would make a great advert for ubuntu :D
Could be a great series.

agreed, I suggest Family Guy style

speedwell68
December 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I wish every sales rep in those big box stores had a hand held PC of some kind with just enough internet access to google every question their customers ask.

I remember seeing a customer at fry's about a year ago who said, "I have had a bad experience with windows ever since Windows 95, isn't there something else I can use without buying a mac?" The sales rep actually said "Microsoft has developed PC's to specifically run windows and they wont let anyone develop anything else." At this point I simply waited for the customer to be by himself, then politely informed him that he was being misled by an ignorant sales rep. I told him if he didn't mind a bit of a learning curve, there where many variation of the Linux Operating system that he may find something he likes.

My advice is this, If you need advice, you're probably more likely to get knowledgeable assistance from another customer than you are from a sales rep. At best sales reps in big box stores are trying to pay their way through school. At worst, they're just trying to earn their share of the rent they share with 3 other people and a dime bag.

See my problem is that I can't keep my gob shut when I overhear sales staff spout rot like that. I would have stepped in and argued the toss. It is probably why I got banned.:D

markbuntu
December 15th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I know people who think that linux is illegal malware. When I tell them that most of the internet runs on linux they say "See what I mean!"

These are the sort of people who reinstall windows once a week due to viruses etc so they are "computer experts". When they find out I run linux they won't even give me their email address or let me near their machine. They think I must be a malicious hacker who will highjack their computer and install malware on it.

I really have to give up at that point and agree with them.

Yes, they are insane, but they are my friends so I love them anyway.

togo59
December 15th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Windows is illegal. (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/15/microsoft_to_apologize_to_plurk/)

supermelon928
December 15th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Knows? Thinks.

Thinks? Knows.

speedwell68
December 15th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Windows is illegal. (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/15/microsoft_to_apologize_to_plurk/)

That is hardly Windows being illegal.

ScrewdriverClock
December 15th, 2009, 10:53 PM

Not only is it not related to the OS as a whole, but also committed by a sub branch of the company in china, where if I recall their IP protection isn't so strict.. after all where else would i get my sciPhone?

ibuclaw
December 15th, 2009, 11:15 PM

In hindsight of news like this (http://www.overclock.net/windows/569458-microsoft-attack-linux-retail-level-probably.html). I'm not surprised "retailer-level" support staff think that way...

Higher up the chain - we know differently.

You can tell her (within pragmatic reason) that Linux is a professional Operating System, endorsed by HP, Intel, Dell, IBM, Novell, RedHat, and many other companies. It is free because computing is a science - and in the world of science, all knowledge is open and free to question and improve upon - and if it isn't, then it is bad science.

Some real life examples of what you can't deny.

Linux runs on 446 of the world's top 500 Super Computers: http://www.top500.org/stats/list/34/osfam

Linux is what powers the Large Hadron Super Collider: http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/09/large-hadron-collider---powere.html

The Department of Defense bought 2,200 PS3s (to add onto their already existing 336) to install Linux on, and use as an amp farm: http://gizmodo.com/5414938/department-of-defense-buys-2200-ps3s-to-upgrade-supercomputer

Ji Ruo
December 16th, 2009, 12:15 AM
In hindsight of news like this (http://www.overclock.net/windows/569458-microsoft-attack-linux-retail-level-probably.html). I'm not surprised "retailer-level" support staff think that way...

Great link. It was good for a chuckle.

Microsoft wants to teach us all! I can imagine all of the 'techsperts' warning anyone who asks them about Linux that it doesn't come with support... from Microsoft.

User3k
December 16th, 2009, 12:19 AM

Microsoft wants to teach us all! I can imagine all of the 'techsperts' warning anyone who asks them about Linux that it doesn't come with support... from Microsoft.

I am just waiting for the day when I walk into a store and they tell me what Microsoft has brainwashed them to say. I will be polite of course, no need to act like an animal. However I won't be quiet :)

LinuxFanBoi
December 16th, 2009, 12:23 AM

The three most common things I hear from the uneducated are; "Linux could permanently damage your computers hardware," "Using Linux may void your warranty," and "Microsoft could sue you for removing windows from your computer. (less common, but I've heard it)."

Chame_Wizard
December 16th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Paranoia.............no words to say:lolflag:

Ji Ruo
December 16th, 2009, 01:01 AM
"I'm a Microsoft Executive, and force-feeding anti-Linux propaganda to retailers was MY idea."

LinuxFanBoi
December 16th, 2009, 01:04 AM
"I'm a Microsoft Executive, and force-feeding anti-Linux propoganda to retailers was MY idea."

supermelon928
December 16th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Whether this is true or not, it's bloody funny.

Did you really just quote that entire thing.

Rape.

Ralphie
December 16th, 2009, 01:46 AM
lool regardless if that story was word for word, I've definitely had people tell me they thought Linux was strictly for hackers before.

hahaha

Shibblet
December 16th, 2009, 01:51 AM
People fear what they don't understand and hate what they can't conquer.

I used to work at a Mail Boxes Etc. We had stamps from the Postal Service available for resale... This is when the stamp was $0.32. A book of 20 stamps was $6.40. We sold them for $7.00.

Reason being, is that we had to buy them at the same price as any other person, and could only buy them from the post office. So, we were providing a convenience service. Kind of like why a Pepsi is $1.59 at the quick-store, but only $1.29 at the grocery store.

Anyway, my point is that when you told people a book of stamps was $7.00, they either chose to buy it, or not, we didn't really care. But some people would look you back in the face and say "That's illegal. You can't sell those for more than face value."

That's obviously not true, but where do they get their facts? How did they come to that conclusion? Are they an expert on the matter? It doesn't matter.

Never argue with an ignoramus, they bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

the8thstar
December 16th, 2009, 02:00 AM

That's hilarious. You're lucky she didn't say Linux was anti-American!

aspiredfang
December 16th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Communism = linux = internet = communism wins

now if only i could divide 42 by 0 also *moment of sweat followed by the big bang*

3rdalbum
December 16th, 2009, 02:46 AM
I used to work at a Mail Boxes Etc. We had stamps from the Postal Service available for resale... This is when the stamp was $0.32. A book of 20 stamps was $6.40. We sold them for $7.00.

Reason being, is that we had to buy them at the same price as any other person, and could only buy them from the post office. So, we were providing a convenience service. Kind of like why a Pepsi is $1.59 at the quick-store, but only $1.29 at the grocery store.

Anyway, my point is that when you told people a book of stamps was $7.00, they either chose to buy it, or not, we didn't really care. But some people would look you back in the face and say "That's illegal. You can't sell those for more than face value."

That's obviously not true, but where do they get their facts? How did they come to that conclusion? Are they an expert on the matter? It doesn't matter.

As soon as they get a driver's license, that makes them an expert on retail law. At my workplace (a furniture shop), the customers put a deposit on an item, then go home and find that it won't fit into the space they have; and then demand their money back. When we offer a store credit instead, they try to tell us that they're legally entitled to a full refund (they're not) and they call Consumer Affairs.

And then Consumer Affairs tells them the exact same thing that we've told them. Sometimes they call back and claim that Consumer Affairs has backed them up, at which point we get the customer to call one of our managers at the Head Office, who also works for Consumer Affairs. I don't know exactly what he says to the customer, but I like to think that he looks up their case in the Consumer Affairs computer and quotes it verbatim to the customer to prove them a liar :-)

The stores that offer refunds at the drop of a hat just make life more difficult for everyone else.

jollyjollyroger
December 16th, 2009, 02:49 AM
"I'm a Microsoft Executive, and force-feeding anti-Linux propoganda to retailers was MY idea."

lolz, rofls, and lmaos :)
far out. well said :)

jollyjollyroger
December 16th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Do you know what I think would be helpful?
A site dedicated to 'dealing' with MS rubbish.
Anyone know of one?

collinp
December 16th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Anyone know of one?

I would think that the Free Software Foundation would have a website like that buried somewhere.

Shibblet
December 16th, 2009, 03:10 AM
The stores that offer refunds at the drop of a hat just make life more difficult for everyone else.

Wal-Mart has done this in the USA. And they've gone to the next level. You can buy something, keep it for a month, and return it to Wal-Mart for a full refund.

Now American shoppers expectations on purchases have started to change. I ask only this...

"At what point does your purchase become your responsibility?"

It's obviously rhetorical. But sometimes you have to say it.

Follow this creed.

If you're...

Uncertain if it will work
Don't know if you will use it
Aren't sure how to operate it
May or may not need it
Thinking of returning it

...THEN DON'T BUY IT!

chillyomi
December 16th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I laughed a bit that son of hers is apparently VERY stupid what sites does he hang out at that he has never seen an open source program the nerve of some people just because she would charge doesn't mean everyone has the same mentality :popcorn:

Shibblet
December 16th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I laughed a bit that son of hers is apparently VERY stupid what sites does he hang out at that he has never seen an open source program the nerve of some people just because she would charge doesn't mean everyone has the same mentality :popcorn:

Kids make that crap up. Heck, I have a friend who is in his 30's and still makes that crap up.

I remember when I told my mom that we can't have a modem, because then people can hack our computer. That was in 1988. Chalk that up to 13 year old creativity.

~sHyLoCk~
December 16th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Linux is illegal, everyone knows that. If you can't find it much in torrents or rapidshare, it's not legal.
If there is no piracy, it's not legitimate in the first place!

steveneddy
December 16th, 2009, 04:54 AM

I'm in trouble then.......

Raiju
December 16th, 2009, 04:54 AM
linux is illegal, everyone knows that. If you can't find it much in torrents or rapidshare, it's not legal.
If there is no piracy, it's not legitimate in the first place!

wat?

;D

hunterkasy
December 16th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Some good reading here, and I do believe the 1st story, I think most of you who think the 1st story is made up, just don't realize how stupid the human race really is. I know to many people that think anything that is not made from Microsoft is illegal, and Linux, well, he all know it is for hacking and hacking only lol

but I do know people who think that seriously

~sHyLoCk~
December 16th, 2009, 05:04 AM
wat?

;D

Never download a Linux distro from such torrent sites. Most of them are fake and later people come to the forums and complain there ISOs don't work, md5 don't match,etc.
Btw, check out the seed-leech ratios. Linux isn't a popular download material in torrent world. Everyone knows why. ;)
EDIT: Btw, I suggest you use ABP to block those stupid adverts in the left side.

Regards

Shibblet
December 16th, 2009, 05:07 AM
wat?

;D

Trying to get ripped? I love that you browse torrents "incognito."

sydbat
December 16th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Wal-Mart has done this in the USA. And they've gone to the next level. You can buy something, keep it for a month, and return it to Wal-Mart for a full refund.

Now American shoppers expectations on purchases have started to change. I ask only this...

"At what point does your purchase become your responsibility?"Happens here in Canada too. In fact, you can buy something at another store (or maybe get a crappy gift) and "return" it to WalMart, even if they do not carry that product! I was told this and did not believe it, so I tried it out...sure enough, they found a similar product and gave me a "refund".

While there is a certain douchbaggery about this (and yet another reason why I do not shop at WallyWorld), their belief is that keeping people happy will make them shop there...and it works.

Raiju
December 16th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Trying to get ripped? I love that you browse torrents "incognito."

just installed chrome. still poking around

>=]

Kyugetsuki
December 17th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I might end up blogging on this

beloved88
December 17th, 2009, 08:03 AM
sorry, i didn't really care to read all 20 pages, just the OP, so sorry if this was said before.
If it was me, i would have gotten all dramatic and said
"Oh no! You're kidding me! Gosh, i better turn myself in right now before i get caught, give me the phone!"
*calls the police
"Yes, i need to turn myself in for using linux"
Officer: "Excuse me?"
"Yes, for using Linux, you know the Operating system?"
Officer: "Um, we use Linux here, there's nothing illegal with that"
"Ok, thankyou officer"
*Grins and sends wink to friend

but check out these links:
http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2006/07/03/216740/Linux-cuts-Kent-Police-system-costs-by-90.htm
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/66843.html
After reading the second link, this story becomes highly believable, since rumor could have gotten around to this woman's son about linux being illegal, and the story is simply passed on with no real thought whatsoever

User3k
December 17th, 2009, 08:58 AM
sorry, i didn't really care to read all 20 pages, just the OP, so sorry if this was said before.
If it was me, i would have gotten all dramatic and said
"Oh no! You're kidding me! Gosh, i better turn myself in right now before i get caught, give me the phone!"
*calls the police
"Yes, i need to turn myself in for using linux"
Officer: "Excuse me?"
"Yes, for using Linux, you know the Operating system?"
Officer: "Um, we use Linux here, there's nothing illegal with that"
"Ok, thankyou officer"
*Grins and sends wink to friend

but check out these links:
http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2006/07/03/216740/Linux-cuts-Kent-Police-system-costs-by-90.htm
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/66843.html
After reading the second link, this story becomes highly believable, since rumor could have gotten around to this woman's son about linux being illegal, and the story is simply passed on with no real thought whatsoever

I love that second link story: http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/66843.html

"From time to time and definitely since 9/11, folks in charge of public places panic or show paranoia for anything they do not understand," blogger Robert Pogson told LinuxInsider. "Fifteen years ago everyone using DOS had occasion to use typed commands, but with the advent of the GUI (graphical user interface) on PCs, this is less common. All many know about typed commands is what they see on TV/movies/news, suggesting that evil 'hackers' use it."

thumpszilla
December 17th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I too was ill informed about linux for a long time. I have since learned better and all the computers in my house are running linux. I am even teaching my 4 year old son linux now.

Johnsie
December 17th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Some people would say that Linux is illegal because it uses some patented technologies without permission. However I don't think this has been proved in court yet.

speedwell68
December 17th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I too was ill informed about linux for a long time. I have since learned better and all the computers in my house are running linux. I am even teaching my 4 year old son linux now.

I've got no Windows in my house either.:D

User3k
December 17th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I've got no Windows in my house either.:D

How do you see anything outside then? ;) Oh wait, the internet. lol

Glucklich
December 17th, 2009, 01:05 PM

Abso-*******-lutely! Gotta love a good paranoia story.

3rdalbum
December 17th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Some people would say that Linux is illegal because it uses some patented technologies without permission. However I don't think this has been proved in court yet.

Every software company steps on another's patents, because there are just so many meaningless, obvious and simplistic patents out there.

Every piece of software is illegal, except in countries that don't allow software patents.

samh785
December 17th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I don't get why everyone is questioning the legitimacy of this story. I mean, what does the OP have to gain or lose by posting this?
attention

LinuxFanBoi
December 17th, 2009, 02:28 PM
"Attention is the currency of internet forums"
--Ticopelp

Alex Libman
December 17th, 2009, 02:42 PM
As ignorant as the hysterical lady in the story might have been, from the Anarcho-Capitalist point of view she technically was right - her house, her rules. Maybe the homeowner's association or some other contractual obligations she has forbids her from running Linux in her house - who knows. When you're on someone else's property and the owner insists that you do something, either you do it or exercise your "right to free exit" and leave. Then it becomes her problem of having to find a dog-sitter who is as ignorant as she is. :rolleyes:

supermelon928
December 17th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I love that second link story: "From time to time and definitely since 9/11, folks in charge of public places panic or show paranoia for anything they do not understand,"

What's 9/11 have to do with it?

supermelon928
December 17th, 2009, 10:46 PM
"attention is the currency of internet forums"
--ticopelp

+1

sydbat
December 17th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Every software company steps on another's patents, because there are just so many meaningless, obvious and simplistic patents out there.

Every piece of software is illegal, except in countries that don't allow software patents.That would be most countries...

Viinasu
December 17th, 2009, 11:06 PM
lol, it's probably a conspiracy by bill gates and the windows guys. try to make stupid old ladies think linux is illegal and TAKE OVER THE WORLD!:lolflag:

apmcd47
December 17th, 2009, 11:38 PM
lol, it's probably a conspiracy by bill gates and the windows guys. try to make stupid old ladies think linux is illegal and TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

How will stupid old ladies take over the world?

:P

User3k
December 18th, 2009, 12:22 AM
What's 9/11 have to do with it?

You didn't read the comment above that post or read the links in it, did you.

xuCGC002
December 18th, 2009, 01:15 AM
The majority of these types of stories are easy to make up.

1: Create Me: and Person: standpoints.
2: Make up some stupid question or assumption about Linux, put it as the Person: standpoint.
3: Put witty(?) replies to that question/assumption in the Me: standpoint (Reference Bill Gates as teh sux0rz even though he doesn't work for Microsoft)
4: Receive positive replies of "omg what a noob" and "their only understand winders!!!1"
5: ???
6: Profit!

In this case, I've created an example:

Person: What's a Lie-nucks?
Me: Are you stupid? Your mind is in control by M$, you sell yourself out to the DEVIL! Micro$haft Winders? You get the f**k out of my face noob!
Person: wut

Ji Ruo
December 18th, 2009, 01:37 PM

2: Make up some stupid question or assumption about Linux, put it as the Person: standpoint.
3: Put witty(?) replies to that question/assumption in the Me: standpoint (Reference Bill Gates as teh sux0rz even though he doesn't work for Microsoft)
4: Receive positive replies of "omg what a noob" and "their only understand winders!!!1"

Me: Are you stupid? Your mind is in control by M$, you sell yourself out to the DEVIL! Micro$haft Winders? You get the f**k out of my face noob!

Could we have that in a flowchart

CanadianBac0n77
December 18th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Stories like these always makes me smile :)

hoppipolla
December 18th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I've come across people and situations like that before, and I usually just end up dumbfounded and unable to argue my (factually correct) point-of-view in the face of the sheer amount of BS... lol :)

Way of the world I'm afraid, people form opinions and can become completely opinionated around utter mistruths or misunderstandings.

Oh well :) Can't be helped eh?

User3k
December 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Whether this specific story is true or not it bring up a common and all to often true point. A lot of people can be idiots our of ignorance and fear. This holds true with many things and in the modern age I don't see why technology in general would be left out.

If you don't understand something then fear it or listen to someone who might sound smart but is clueless and faking it. Of course you also have the crazy people that see this pattern and exploit it for their own gain and/or purposes.

houseworkshy
December 18th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Whether the initial story is true or not it I think it was intended as a bit of benevolent fun and has certainly started an entertaining thread, love the guide to hackers post. I don't find people who think that linux is illegal and synonomous with hacking but I do meet a lot of people who believe that it is so complex it requires a hacking type mentality to deal with intricate command line inputs. People usually know about the thing being stable and legally free what they are often unaware of it that there are several very easy to use grapic user interphases which can run it and that many very high standard applications and games have been written to run on it. What few, who don't actually use linux, realise, is that something like debian or a derivative of it like ubuntu with a gui such as gnome on it is acually a better choice for a technophobes "granny machine" than any version of windows ever was.

lisati
December 18th, 2009, 03:54 PM
As soon as they get a driver's license, that makes them an expert on retail law. At my workplace (a furniture shop), the customers put a deposit on an item, then go home and find that it won't fit into the space they have; and then demand their money back. When we offer a store credit instead, they try to tell us that they're legally entitled to a full refund (they're not) and they call Consumer Affairs.

Some of the legislation I'm aware of here across the ditch does provide for full refunds, but only in certain circumstances. Changing your mind isn't covered.

jayze
December 18th, 2009, 04:27 PM
:lolflag: I like this story! bit like when i asked for real cream with my cream tea in wales and got told sorry..".but we don't have a cow you see"... also reminds me of microsoft deciding I had an illegal copy of windows after four years of use (staples bought hahaha!)...i turned myself and my laptop in at the nearest police station Quote "I'm coming clean here so i hope you won't feel the need to put my head down the loo or anything nasty"...anyway to cut a long story short...europeans run linux more (french policeforce use it eg)..here in the UK i find it helps if you tell people...well its a COOPERATIVE you see..you know;like the coop where you get your shopping. I gave up trying to explain it to my wealthier and more enlightened friends in the land of the free as you cannot prise them from their posh macs. Another ruse that worked when trying to explain it to my offspring..."well its like the LETS scheme" or a poor mans freemasons...anyway all I can say is its their loss and wild horses and pots of gold ain't getting me back on windows ( and only been using ubuntu for 24 hours lol)....:P

supermelon928
December 18th, 2009, 05:40 PM
You didn't read the comment above that post or read the links in it, did you.

No sir, I did not. :P

the8thstar
December 20th, 2009, 12:54 AM
in this case, i've created an example:

Person: What's a lie-nucks?
Me: Are you stupid? Your mind is in control by m$, you sell yourself out to the devil! Micro$haft winders? You get the f**k out of my face noob!
Person: Wut

hahahaha, awesome!!! :):):)

afroman10496
December 20th, 2009, 12:56 AM
on xbox live its an illegal word :P

chrisw92
December 20th, 2009, 02:37 AM
man there are some crazy people out there... I say if they don't know what it does, then they shouldn't think they do.

Kyugetsuki
December 20th, 2009, 11:47 AM
THIS story is a damn barrel of laughs...

cant blame the woman but I can sure blame media hype...

I use linux 80% of the time since 2007, they should put me in jail and lock me in a max sec.

clanky
December 20th, 2009, 01:31 PM
The reason people make up stories like this (and many others on here and other forums) is to fit in, I think the whole community needs to ask itself what people posting this sort of thing think they are trying to fit into.

There is a tendency on here for an "us against the world" attitude, I am convinced that this is what makes people feel the need to post stuff which proves how much on the side of Linux they are in the great battle. Is this really the image that Linux in general and UF in particular want to portray?

mickie.kext
December 21st, 2009, 02:00 AM
I can't imagine why people are not believing to the OP's story. I had found myself in similar situation number of times. Lots of people are brainwashed. Some say that that nobody should use anything that is not owned by Micro$oft(:shock:). Some even think that all non-Micro$oft software is illegal. And some claim that non-Microsoft software do not even exist and that Micro$oft owns everything... and that everybody who even think to write software must first pay toll to M$. In my country, lots of people did not heard of Apple, not to mention Linux.

Anyone know of one?

http://www.groklaw.net/
http://boycottnovell.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Those two come to mind first.

Frak
December 21st, 2009, 02:16 AM
I can't imagine why people are not believing to the OP's story. I had found myself in similar situation number of times. Lots of people are brainwashed. Some say that that nobody should use anything that is not owned by Micro$oft(:shock:). Some even think that all non-Micro$oft software is illegal. And some claim that non-Microsoft software do not even exist and that Micro$oft owns everything... and that everybody who even think to write software must first pay toll to M$. In my country, lots of people did not heard of Apple, not to mention Linux.

http://www.groklaw.net/
http://boycottnovell.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Those two come to mind first.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2q0353q.jpg

Maybe people just formed their own conclusion, like what happens with normal people? Remember that computers are a dark hole of ambiguity and confusion for most people.

RiceMonster
December 21st, 2009, 02:29 AM
I can't imagine why people are not believing to the OP's story.

If it's on the internet it must be real!

Exodist
December 21st, 2009, 03:07 AM
In deed the internet would never lie! :lolflag:

mickie.kext
December 21st, 2009, 03:15 AM
Maybe people just formed their own conclusion, like what happens with normal people? Remember that computers are a dark hole of ambiguity and confusion for most people.
That is true, so that is one more reason not to doubt in OP's story. That woman knows nothing about computers, and she believed everything someone told her (son in this case, could be M$ commercial in other case).

So you say I am not normal person because I experienced similar situations with similar morons just like OP did? And you are normal because you did not?

I did not say that, I said that there is no reason to doubt. And yes, it is funny. If I never been in OP's shoes, I would probably be laughing right now. But because I have been, it is just sad to me.

Btw, "kernals" guy is funny:P.

Hyporeal
December 21st, 2009, 03:24 AM
There is a tendency on here for an "us against the world" attitude, I am convinced that this is what makes people feel the need to post stuff which proves how much on the side of Linux they are in the great battle. Is this really the image that Linux in general and UF in particular want to portray?

I can't speak for others, but I have never felt the need to be a PR spokesman for Linux or Ubuntu. If people feel they can fit in better by telling stories, then I won't gainsay them. After all, there is some justification for their attitude -- our economies are structured in a way that doesn't suit free software. Those who wish to fight against falsehood would be better served correcting the myriad misconceptions that pop up on these forums than challenging a harmless story.

Frak
December 21st, 2009, 07:53 AM
And you are normal because you did not?

I don't qualify as normal anywhere, anytime.

scouser73
December 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM
Did you really just quote that entire thing.

Rape.

Yes

Tristam Green
December 21st, 2009, 03:43 PM

Pure awesome.

Also, just because nobody seems to get enough of it:

KERNAL

tad1073
December 21st, 2009, 03:50 PM
Pure awesome.

Also, just because nobody seems to get enough of it:

KERNAL

You spelled KERNEL wrong...

RiceMonster
December 21st, 2009, 03:53 PM
You spelled KERNEL wrong...

What do you mean? We're talking about the Linux KERNAL here.

Ps. Read the thread

tad1073
December 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM
What do you mean? We're talking about the Linux KERNAL here.

Ps. Read the thread

It is spelled KERNEL

Tristam Green
December 21st, 2009, 03:58 PM
It is spelled KERNEL

COLONEL Sanders would disagree.

tad1073
December 21st, 2009, 03:59 PM
COLONEL Sanders would disagree.

Why yes, yes he would...:lolflag:

Frak
December 21st, 2009, 07:11 PM
It is spelled KERNEL
I really do think it is spelled KERNAL.

Dullstar
December 21st, 2009, 07:12 PM
on xbox live its an illegal word :P
I would like to know if that's serious.

tad1073
December 21st, 2009, 07:21 PM
I really do think it is spelled KERNAL.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CA4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kernel.org%2F&ei=oLwvS9eIB8eWtgetq7D7CA&usg=AFQjCNFPaa5XvQVvUcRBRRoUKOTIkQOvdQ&sig2=y-f8tnONwbGfjXIywxKWKw

RiceMonster
December 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CA4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kernel.org%2F&ei=oLwvS9eIB8eWtgetq7D7CA&usg=AFQjCNFPaa5XvQVvUcRBRRoUKOTIkQOvdQ&sig2=y-f8tnONwbGfjXIywxKWKw

There's a spelling mistake in that website's name.

It should be KERNAL.ORG

benj1
December 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM

It should be KERNAL.ORG
but then where woud the www.kernal.org guys go ?
it seems to be some sort of christian site

"If YOU have ANY concern about your future on earth + eternity, it is critical you read this page. "

is it divine providence that i found this site, or is this some kind of threat ?

Tristam Green
December 21st, 2009, 07:54 PM
Man, I'm glad I didn't break out the IMPACT font. It would have simply blown your %&*@ing minds.

Ji Ruo
December 22nd, 2009, 12:18 AM
Man, I'm glad I didn't break out the IMPACT font. It would have simply blown your %&*@ing minds.

You just did n00b.

<head explodes, just like in Scanners>

lisati
December 22nd, 2009, 12:27 AM
Kernal? Kernel? Colonel?

Kernel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KERNEL The article does not exist, this might be better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(computing)

Kernal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KERNAL
Colonel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_sanders

I'm feeling hungry.

Shibblet
December 22nd, 2009, 12:28 AM

It should be KERNAL.ORG

www.kernal.org is a Bible Study site.

www.kernel.org is for Linux.

Frak
December 22nd, 2009, 02:16 AM
www.kernal.org is a Bible Study site.

www.kernel.org is for Linux.
I still think it's Kernal

supermelon928
December 22nd, 2009, 02:25 AM
Holy ****, enough, who gives a **** how its spelled, shut the **** up

Frak
December 22nd, 2009, 02:39 AM
Holy ****, enough, who gives a **** how its spelled, shut the **** up
...I still think it's Kernal

Sef
December 22nd, 2009, 03:36 AM
This thread seems to have run its course, so locked.