PDA

View Full Version : Newest Ubuntu laptop Vostro V13

Vostrocity
December 10th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Vostro V13 (http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/vostro-v13/pd.aspx?refid=vostro-v13&s=bsd&cs=04)
http://i.dell.com/images/global/products/vostronb/vostronb_highlights/vostro-v13-overview1.jpg
Released yesterday and shipping in January, this CULV (the type of laptop in between netbooks and traditional notebooks) is $450 for the cheapest package which happens to be preinstalled with Ubuntu 9.04. It's got a 13.3" LED-backlit screen, 1.3Ghz 1MB L2 ULV Celeron (even though it's a Celeron it's still better than all Atoms), 2GB DDR3 RAM, 250GB HDD, Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics, 1.3MP webcam, WiFi b/g, standard Bluetooth, memory card reader, and a 6-cell battery. Unfortunately the specs aren't configurable so if you want a ULV Core (Solo or 2 Duo) processor you'll have spend at least $600 for the Windows 7 package. So there's the specs, but what's exceptional about this laptop is the design, which is based off of Dell's $1500 luxury Adamo laptop. It's 0.65" thin (16.5mm, maybe thinnest Ubuntu-preloaded laptop?) and weighs 3.5 pounds (1.6kg) due to its aluminum body. Overall, it seems like a well-specced and nice-looking machine for anyone who doesn't need to do work that is processor-intensive or a big screen. And also buying Ubuntu-preloaded eliminates compatibility issues (as long as you don't mind sticking with Jaunty). :D

gashcr
December 10th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Gave a look yesterday, and it's all I need. It's pretty as hell. I definitively want one of those. My only hope is Dell Costa Rica will bring it.

Warpnow
December 10th, 2009, 12:46 PM
It looks very nice. Now all I need is one of those 40% off coupons dell mails out twice a year.

Psumi
December 10th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Having Ubuntu pre-loaded can be a bad thing at times:

The company can add hacks you do not know about, and when it comes time to update, and you'd rather fresh install (due to obvious reasons I shall not list here) you won't have those hacks anymore.

I have a Pentium M Centrino processor laptop, about the same speed, and Xubuntu takes a huge hit to performance, everything's pretty slow, one time Xubuntu wouldn't even install because it was so slow.

Vostrocity
December 11th, 2009, 12:19 AM
The company can add hacks you do not know about, and when it comes time to update, and you'd rather fresh install (due to obvious reasons I shall not list here) you won't have those hacks anymore.

I haven't heard of those "hacks", unless you're referring to the good ones that make your hardware compatible. But yeah basically if you stick with the preinstalled image you'll have to wait for Dell to push out new releases, which usually means late by one.

Psumi
December 11th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I haven't heard of those "hacks", unless you're referring to the good ones that make your hardware compatible. But yeah basically if you stick with the preinstalled image you'll have to wait for Dell to push out new releases, which usually means late by one.

That's why I always install fresh, and deal with problems as they come.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 11th, 2009, 01:05 AM
I noticed that the only version of the Vostro V13 that comes with Ubuntu is the one with the lowest specs. Some of us actually use a Linux based computer for something other than a netbook. I use virtualization, and do video editing, for example. Why can't Dell offer the other computers with Ubuntu?

gashcr
December 11th, 2009, 01:26 AM
I noticed that the only version of the Vostro V13 that comes with Ubuntu is the one with the lowest specs. Some of us actually use a Linux based computer for something other than a netbook. I use virtualization, and do video editing, for example. Why can't Dell offer the other computers with Ubuntu?

Very good question. Even more... Why don't they allow for some custom parts (harddrive anyone? More RAM?)

Warpnow
December 11th, 2009, 03:27 AM
They offer the XPS with ubuntu. Its a very nice laptop if you can afford it.

yoshiki2
December 11th, 2009, 01:42 PM
The v12 uses a ulv processor....... is just a litle faster than via processors. You need a real processor for virtualuzation..

noibs
December 12th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Hope someone buys the ******* version with ULV core-2-duo processors and intalls Ubuntu and then reports back here.

I have been really close to buying a Dell Inspiron 11z and installing Ubuntu; however, the new Vostro V13 looks more attractive for use as a light, think notebook that can do a lot of things well. They both have the same display resolution, but the V13 looks *SO* nice.

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I have been really close to buying a Dell Inspiron 11z and installing Ubuntu; however, the new Vostro V13 looks more attractive for use as a light, think notebook that can do a lot of things well. They both have the same display resolution, but the V13 looks *SO* nice.

DVD Drive not built in though, a shame.

Changturkey
December 12th, 2009, 08:51 PM

I wouldn't expect a DVD drive to be built in to something so thin.

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't expect a DVD drive to be built in to something so thin.

Same with this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+AspireRevo+Nettop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Atom%26% 23153%3B+Processor/9535434.p?id=1218120545008&skuId=9535434

toupeiro
December 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Very good question. Even more... Why don't they allow for some custom parts (harddrive anyone? More RAM?)

I've always hated this from vendors. The computers I support at work that are linux machines are 10 times the machines are that windows runs on. Dual i7's 48GB of ram, running linux. the machine I run at home is a single i7, and I use it for much more than web surfing.. Linux users are power users too. :P

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I've always hated this from vendors. The computers I support at work that are linux machines are 10 times the machines are that windows runs on. Dual i7's 48GB of ram, running linux.

Who would ever want that much--oh wait, gamers >.>

toupeiro
December 12th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Who would ever want that much--oh wait, gamers >.>

yes, we all game while we work. :P

Lots of live 3d rendering with lots and lots of data.

koleoptero
December 12th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Dual i7's 48GB of ram

I'm in shock right now. Truly.

toupeiro
December 12th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I'm in shock right now. Truly.

Don't get me wrong, these are extreme systems with specific use cases, but the point is that they are linux based, and I know the hardware vendors know they are linux based because I've met with some of the designers of this hardware before. It's just sometimes amazing to me though that some of that knowledge doesn't trickle down into the consumer end products they carry. I'd love to see an i7 system with linux and a hot nvidia card with 6-12GB of ram pre-loaded. or a really powerful laptop with a linux distro available as an option to the buyer. Even if I wiped the distro and put on the one I wanted, I would be more inclined to buy that hardware because I would know that all the components were tested against linux before I bought it.

I have some users I support who have told me that they buy high-end macs and some have put linux on them purely because of the level of scale in compute power they have versus ones that come pre-built with linux. Their use cases have shown that linux runs fine on that hardware, and for people who don't know how, or have an interest in building systems, but need the horsepower to do their tasks, that means something. People like me can build their own and save the money, but not everyone can, or wants to.

szymon_g
December 12th, 2009, 11:11 PM
And also buying Ubuntu-preloaded eliminates compatibility issues (as long as you don't mind sticking with Jaunty). :D

not necessary true. i've seen some laptops sold with linux where part of hardware didn't worked under it

and apart from that: it's ugly :~
black piano case and glossy display- there is no worse combination than that :/

pwnst*r
December 13th, 2009, 01:05 AM
lol no gamer uses that amount of RAM for strictly gaming. the dude's obviously got task specific machines for work. big difference.

Psumi
December 13th, 2009, 01:19 AM
lol no gamer uses that amount of RAM for strictly gaming. the dude's obviously got task specific machines for work. big difference.

*cough cough* Crysis

pwnst*r
December 13th, 2009, 01:28 AM
no...

earthpigg
December 13th, 2009, 01:29 AM

optical media is obsolete.

one external optical drive per household is reasonable, though.

my $0.02 -- so, im glad OEMs are starting to release more computers without them.

optical drive included without an opt-out option == optical drive tax.

pwnst*r
December 13th, 2009, 02:13 AM
optical media is obsolete.

one external optical drive per household is reasonable, though.

my $0.02 -- so, im glad OEMs are starting to release more computers without them.

optical drive included without an opt-out option == optical drive tax.

it's only obsolete to nerds.

earthpigg
December 13th, 2009, 02:16 AM
it's only obsolete to nerds.

fair enough.

koleoptero
December 13th, 2009, 02:20 AM
*cough cough* Crysis

no...

3 monitors with 3 different games at the same time perhaps? :lolflag:

pwnst*r
December 13th, 2009, 03:19 AM
3 monitors with 3 different games at the same time perhaps? :lolflag:

then that boils down to your card, not your machine's RAM.

pwnst*r
December 13th, 2009, 03:20 AM
fair enough.

i only say this because WE know it, but the gen public does not. although, 1080p streaming is probably a bit off. i like my BR's, DVD's, and legally bought music on physical media.

odyssey41
January 1st, 2010, 08:32 PM
Cannot find the Ubuntu-loaded V13 anymore. Looks they are not selling it anymore.

earthpigg
January 3rd, 2010, 11:54 AM

about a year ago, Dell pushed an update to their dell mini 9 customers with preloaded ubuntu 8.04....

...it bricked every single one that the updates where accepted on that day. including mine.

OEM repos have been blacklisted universally since then, for me.

Canonical spends a lot of time and money putting these updates together, why do i want some dirty third party to get their incompetent hands in the middle?

if you aren't happy with ubuntu's standard updates, time to switch distros.

if you aren't happy with Dell's standard hardware, time to switch OEM's.

both OEM's and distros have their uses, no need to use an OEM as a distro or a distro as an OEM.

i get my software from my software (distro) vendor, and my hardware from my hardware vendor.

period.

expecting Dell to be proficient at software is like expecting Microsoft to be good at manufacturing cars...

...enjoy your red ring of death. except this time, it is literal. because your left rear wheel just exploded in a huge fireball due to you having the audacity to use the breaks while driving downhill.