PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Qs. on upgrading my ver. of Ubuntu

flywelder
December 10th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I am currently using version 7.4 Feisty, and I want to upgrade to latest version or better yet to the latest good working version......i will be downloading the newer version to my CD burner, to install later when , i have copied and saved everything that i want to..

Where do I go to get the upgraded version for my home computer?

This computer I use, is 6 years old. was made for me and is not a DEll or Gateway or any name brand. The computer has 503 MB of Ram (the board can only use 512MB maximum)
An AMD Athlon processor
My hard drive is 250Gig and partitioned.

Which version of Ubuntu should I choose?

Where do i go, to get the new version from?

will I need to download anything along with the newer version of Ubuntu?
Thanks!!

MelDJ
December 10th, 2009, 05:06 AM
karmic should be able to run on that. get it from here:http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

flywelder
December 10th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Thanks! I'll soon try out the link.;)

ajgreeny
December 10th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Watch out for possible graphics card problems with karmic(9.10), which does not do quite so well as the previous version with ati graphics. If karmic is not good try jaunty, v9.04, which in my case with an old ati 9200se graphic card, is excellent.

phillw
December 10th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I am currently using version 7.4 Feisty, and I want to upgrade to latest version or better yet to the latest good working version......i will be downloading the newer version to my CD burner, to install later when , i have copied and saved everything that i want to..

Where do I go to get the upgraded version for my home computer?

This computer I use, is 6 years old. was made for me and is not a DEll or Gateway or any name brand. The computer has 503 MB of Ram (the board can only use 512MB maximum)
An AMD Athlon processor
My hard drive is 250Gig and partitioned.

Which version of Ubuntu should I choose?

Where do i go, to get the new version from?

will I need to download anything along with the newer version of Ubuntu?
Thanks!!

And just to confuse matters further ... you may want to look at xubuntu, it's designed for lower RAM'd machines - it is just a flavour of the fully fledged ubuntu that gives you the option of 2 different desktops - Gnome and a lower RAM intensive one.

It's available from here --> http://www.xubuntu.org/get

You can either go with the LTS (8.04) or 9.10 -- pop 9.10 into a cd & see if it happy, if you have graphic driver issues, check out the sticky at the top of page 1.

Regards,

Phill.