PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 64 bit installs but doesn't boot

freezerburnt
December 10th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Ok, I've seen various versions of this problem around, but all involved dual boot. I just tried to install ubuntu 9.10 64-bit on a brand new computer (Asus P7P55D Pro mobo; i7 chip; Nvidia 9800; Seagate 1T hd) and as soon as I exit livecd and reboot, it's asking me for bootable media.
Has anyone else had this problem?? I've never encountered this before with Ubuntu, but this is the first time that I've tried switching to the 64-bit vers. . It's all VERY frusterating

Please help!!

freezerburnt

mikewhatever
December 10th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Have you changed the default bootloder settings during the installation? Can you post the output of <sudo fdisk -l> from the live cd.

darkod
December 10th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Check the boot order in BIOS and make sure the hdd is there. Does the hdd have MBR or GPT partition table? Some larger ones have GPT and I think I've seen issues with it for grub2.

presence1960
December 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Have you changed the default bootloder settings during the installation? Can you post the output of <sudo fdisl -l> from the live cd.

I believe mike means
sudo fdisk -l that is a lowercase L in -l

Must be a typo mike is usually on point!

presence1960
December 10th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Have you changed the default bootloder settings during the installation? Can you post the output of <sudo fdisl -l> from the live cd.

I believe mike means

I would go a step further and do this: Let's get a better look at your setup & boot process. Boot the Ubuntu Live CD/USB. Choose "try ubuntu without any changes", when the desktop loads come back here and use the link in my signature to download the Boot Info Script to the desktop. Once on desktop open a terminal and run this command
sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

fdisk output will be included in that script output. No need to run both.

mikewhatever
December 10th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I believe mike means

Thanks, fixed above.:oops:

freezerburnt
December 12th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks all for the replies.
I'm first going to re-dl 9.10 64 just to make sure that I don't have a corrupted dl on my hands, since I scrapped everything and started from scratch...... and ubuntu wasn't even detected on a clean disc.
I'll post whether or not this works by tonight.

cheers
freezerburnt

**another thing was also brought to my attention.... this is all brand-new hardware, so I'm hoping that there's drivers in place for all of it**
that being said..... Onward and upward....plaid-speed engaged

freezerburnt
December 16th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Thanks all for the help. It turns out that it was a faulty disc. Once I re-dl'd and installed there was no problem.... :oops: ](*,)

recluce
December 16th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Please, everybody, use the "check CD for defects" function before installing.

This option is in the boot menu of the Live CD. Use it before installing, it saves a lot of aggravation! I know it is tempting to just plunge ahead - and waiting for the CD check to complete is frustrating - but in the end, it saves everybody time and nerves! And it would probably reduce threads in the "Installation" forum by at least 20%.

OK, enough sermonizing for today! :mrgreen: