PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Switching between desktops?

Shamess707
December 10th, 2009, 03:39 AM
I just recently changed over to kubuntu instead of ubuntu to give KDE a try. I am noticing little things that I took for granted in gnome. one thing I miss is quickly changing desktops with Ctrl + Alt + [direction] from the key board. How would I go about setting that up in KDE?

x33a
December 10th, 2009, 03:54 AM
maybe this could help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=342415

3Miro
December 10th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I just recently changed over to kubuntu instead of ubuntu to give KDE a try. I am noticing little things that I took for granted in gnome. one thing I miss is quickly changing desktops with Ctrl + Alt + [direction] from the key board. How would I go about setting that up in KDE?

Go to System Settings -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Standard Shortcuts. Then you can set hundreds of shortcuts from there. The desktop switch one is in kwin section.

(btw the ctr + alt + arrow thing is Compiz, not Gnome thing)

RyanVanDiemen
December 10th, 2009, 04:23 PM
That`s actually the only thing I think is worse in gnome than KDE. You can switch between desktops quickly by Ctrl+Fn (where n is the number of the desktop - Ctrl+F1 for 1st desktops etc...). You can switch the desktops same way in xfce. They should do the same for gnome.

Shamess707
December 10th, 2009, 11:19 PM
maybe this could help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=342415

That did the trick, thank you very much. I don't know how I could of missed that option before

akashiraffee
December 10th, 2009, 11:36 PM
That`s actually the only thing I think is worse in gnome than KDE. You can switch between desktops quickly by Ctrl+Fn (where n is the number of the desktop - Ctrl+F1 for 1st desktops etc...). You can switch the desktops same way in xfce. They should do the same for gnome.

You can do it in gnome too, you just have to set a "Keyboard Shortcut" for it in System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts".

Eg, I have 6 workspaces in 2 rows of three so I use ctrl-alt a-s-d/z-x-c, in Gnome.