PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu will not install!

mixmantj
December 10th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Hello everyone

I am new to linux, but very familiar with the bios, and installing other OSs. I have recently been trying to install Xubuntu, but it won't work. I boot the computer with the disc and select "Install Xubuntu." I walkthrough the setup questions, and tell the partitioner to wipe Windows XP off completely, and install Xubuntu. Then it goes all the way to 90%. All that happens then, is the screen goes black, and brings me back to the live cd desktop. the computer will not boot off of the hard drive. the computer is a pentium 4, with 256 MB of RAM, and a 20 GB hard drive. I burnt my cd with my mac, using Disk Utility

Thanks

audiomick
December 10th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Does it run from the live CD with the option to try Ubuntu without changing the computer?

phillw
December 10th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Hello everyone

I am new to linux, but very familiar with the bios, and installing other OSs. I have recently been trying to install Xubuntu, but it won't work. I boot the computer with the disc and select "Install Xubuntu." I walkthrough the setup questions, and tell the partitioner to wipe Windows XP off completely, and install Xubuntu. Then it goes all the way to 90%. All that happens then, is the screen goes black, and brings me back to the live cd desktop. the computer will not boot off of the hard drive. the computer is a pentium 4, with 256 MB of RAM, and a 20 GB hard drive. I burnt my cd with my mac, using Disk Utility

Thanks

Hi, you may have already done this, but the 1st thing to do is to get the cd to check itself (I think it's the last option) - that will make it do an md5 checksum. It may take a little while !!!

If the xubuntu LiveCD doesnt't have the option, then you can do it this way --> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Regards,

Phill.

Phill.