PDA

View Full Version : How's my nihongo (writing, hiragana)

dragos240
December 10th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I wrote a few sentences, and a few simple phrases. Along with a name (zach).

I was bored in Directed study (study hall), had nothing to do, so I printed out a sheet of hiragana and wrote a few things down that I know. I used my name, which would be closest to haari amensen. Tell me what I need to work on.

orlox
December 10th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Many years ago I learned hiragana, katakana and over 150 kanji. I also learned simple grammar...though, I never had a chance to get better studies or to practice what I had, so I eventually forgot most of it :(

I was at leas able to recognize a hajimemashite in there :P

dragos240
December 10th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Many years ago I learned hiragana, katakana and over 150 kanji. I also learned simple grammar...though, I never had a chance to get better studies or to practice what I had, so I eventually forgot most of it :(

I was at leas able to recognize a hajimemashite in there :P

Yep.

JDShu
December 10th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Strange sentence aside, you can work on your handwriting a bit. Some of your characters are taking the space of two.

Also, unless I'm reading wrong, you use the hiragana for "ha" in the "wa" in "watashi wa"

Enjoy learning Japanese :)

jwbrase
December 10th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Strange sentence aside, you can work on your handwriting a bit. Some of your characters are taking the space of two.

Also, unless I'm reading wrong, you use the hiragana for "ha" in the "wa" in "watashi wa"

That's correct. The particle "wa" is written as "ha". All other "wa"s and "ha"s are spelled as you would expect, though, AFAIR.

dragos240
December 10th, 2009, 02:02 AM
That's correct. The particle "wa" is written as "ha". All other "wa"s and "ha"s are spelled as you would expect, though, AFAIR.

I see. Thanks! I didn't know that. Particles are confusing.........

dragos240
December 10th, 2009, 02:43 AM

First time writing in hiragana :), also, what are other flaws you see. I need to perfect my grammar and structure. English is my native language, and Japanese is quite foreign.

jwbrase
December 10th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I see. Thanks! I didn't know that. Particles are confusing.........

Just think of the poor Japanese learning English. We have to learn one particle with a weird spelling. Inglish haz a lot uv wrds that ar speld varee straynjlee.

Plus, we happily pile consonants together into train wrecks like "strings", "squirrels", glimpsed, and sixths. Depending how you count vowels, and on whether you're British or American, "squirrels" potentially qualifies as a string of six consonants without a single vowel "skwrlz" (none of the traditional vowels in this case is pronounced, except u, which is doing its obligatory "after q" duty and functions as a w). A good case *can* be made that r (and possibly l, depending how many syllables you pronounce "squirrels" with) is a vowel even in American English in this case.

dragos240
December 10th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Yes, and how is my grammar, and sentence structure? I would like to know how to perfect it.

Hwæt
December 10th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Plus, we happily pile consonants together into train wrecks like "strings", "squirrels", glimpsed, and sixths. Depending how you count vowels, and on whether you're British or American, "squirrels" potentially qualifies as a string of six consonants without a single vowel "skwrlz" (none of the traditional vowels in this case is pronounced, except u, which is doing its obligatory "after q" duty and functions as a w). A good case *can* be made that r (and possibly l, depending how many syllables you pronounce "squirrels" with) is a vowel even in American English in this case.

That's nothing. At least English doesn't mix up totally different writing systems all at once. That's just plain ridiculous. Pick one and move on.

PS: I'm referring to Romaji, Kanji, Katakana, and Hiragana.

Kdar
December 10th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Looks good, besides those mistakes. How long do you study it? I used to study Japanese for about 1 year before. But it got a bit rusty.

dragos240
December 10th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Looks good, besides those mistakes. How long do you study it? I used to study Japanese for about 1 year before. But it got a bit rusty.

Sometimes when I get home I log-on to japanese online. I can write in hiragana with SCIM and with uim, depending on the system I'm on. But I cannot read it, this was my absolute first try at writing in hiragana.

alphaniner
December 10th, 2009, 03:20 PM

Romaji is for the benefit of non-native speakers; it has no place in the language proper. And Katakana and Hiragana serve different, discrete purposes.

dragos240
December 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hi, What's wrong with my writing. Where are my mistakes?

miggols99
December 10th, 2009, 08:45 PM
That's great for your first try! It took me a few months to learn hiragana, now I'm onto katakana (which I think is a bit easier to learn). First of all, some of it looks a bit squished. Make sure each character fills up the same space.

Also, I think that when you say ”はじめまして” (hajimemashite) you normally say that first. Foreign names are also meant to be in katakana..but that's not too important at the moment.

Also, your "chi" looks too similar to the "wa". In the word konnichiwa, you use the symbol for "ha" at the end instead of "wa" because it used to be a particle. It's not now but it has stuck.

One more thing I can point out is that there is a stroke missing from your o's.

Northsider
December 11th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I need to start learning again, Japanese really isn't that hard.

LinuxFanBoi
December 11th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I wrote a few sentences, and a few simple phrases. Along with a name (zach).

I was bored in Directed study (study hall), had nothing to do, so I printed out a sheet of hiragana and wrote a few things down that I know. I used my name, which would be closest to haari amensen. Tell me what I need to work on.

When I lived in Japan (Okinawa) I was told by some that with respect to Hiragana and Katakana that precision is a bit less important than it is with kanji. That being said, your hand writing looks better than some I've seen of the Japanese. I forgot what little bit I learned, while I was there, But I do know that once you have mastered the "50 sound chart" and know the words the rest is grammar and syntax.

Good luck with your endeavors, my friend.

Metallion
December 11th, 2009, 05:59 PM
That's nothing. At least English doesn't mix up totally different writing systems all at once. That's just plain ridiculous. Pick one and move on.

Actually we do have two writing styles. Printed letters and written letters look quite different just like Hiragana and Katakana do. You're right that we don't use em both together though.

Marvin666
December 11th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I made a sign for my room a while back, but used english grammar for it...
Can anybody tell me how to arrange it for japanese grammar?
-Rally race in progress. Watch out for flying cars.