PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Karmic crashes after login with 2.6.31-16 kernel

EricPope
December 9th, 2009, 11:42 PM
After upgrading from Jaunty to Karmic my computer keeps crashing right after the login screen. Switching to the old 2.6.28-17 kernal in grub loader prevents the crash, but the gui updates slowly. The crash isn't random, it always happens soon after the login screen. The display freezes and the pc goes unresponsive. ](*,)

When this happens the only way to restart is with the restart switch on the case, the soft shutdown switch has no effect. Is anyone else having a similar problem? I'd like to start using the current kernel.

Thanks,
Eric

audiomick
December 10th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Hi Eric.
I am afraid I can't help, but I would suggest posting a few details about your computer. Anyone who can help is likely to ask that first thing.

EricPope
December 10th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the tip michael. I don't know what sort of info would help. If you have a question about my equipment please just ask. I was just hoping there would be other folks who had the same problem who would recognize and know how to fix it.

Yvan300
December 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I had a similar problem when i updated the kernel, but my pc always fell to a cli. I solved it by selecting the old kernel from the grub menu. Just my 2 cents.

suniyo
December 10th, 2009, 08:38 PM
selecting the older kernel works in most of the cases but it is not the ideal solution of the problem. it is may be some hardware related problem.

EricPope
December 11th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I posted my workaround solution here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8475773&postcount=22) because that thread was started earlier and had more replies from people looking for an answer to this problem.

Eric