PDA

View Full Version : KDE is looking rather psychedelic today!

hoppipolla
December 9th, 2009, 10:22 PM
What do you think? :)

I just worked out I could change the theme elements separately (I know I go on about KDE a lot, but I spend most of my time using it not tinkering! xD)

http://i47.tinypic.com/rr4aj5.jpg

Cool isn't it? :)

Hoppi!

valkro
Glassy?

AllRadioisDead
Not really, it hurts my eyes.

nerdy_kid
December 9th, 2009, 10:23 PM
love the launchers scattered everywhere! really cool effect!

Skripka
December 9th, 2009, 10:44 PM
love the launchers scattered everywhere! really cool effect!

Kluttered Desktop Environment Software Collection 4.3.4

hoppipolla
December 10th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Kluttered Desktop Environment Software Collection 4.3.4

lol I like it like that :)

I basically just kept adding things and adding things as they were useful, and I remove things if I don't find them useful!

I don't find it distracting though, I'm not sure why but it's fine! :)

dragos240
December 10th, 2009, 12:26 AM
How did you rotate the icons?

hoppipolla
December 10th, 2009, 01:21 AM
How did you rotate the icons?

you can rotate any "plasmoid", simply by unlocking them and clicking and dragging the little circular arrow button that you can see when you hover over it :)

Xbehave
December 10th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Remember kids, just because you can do something in kde doesn't mean you should :P

chillicampari
December 10th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Needs more unicorns.

dragos240
December 10th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Remember kids, just because you can do something in kde doesn't mean you should :P

Just because you can colour text, doesn't mean you should.....

MaxIBoy
December 10th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Needs more unicorns.
+1

But seriously though, that is a gorgeous desktop... One question I have, does KDE have the ability to add a panel to multiple sides of the screen at once?

hoppipolla
December 10th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Needs more unicorns.

haha damn I forgot them! :)

But seriously though, that is a gorgeous desktop... One question I have, does KDE have the ability to add a panel to multiple sides of the screen at once?

Thanks man! :)

and yes I believe this is all working fine now we're on 4.3.x and 4.4 beta. I'm not sure if it's quite as good as in 3 yet but as far as I'm aware you can add panels to your heart's content! :)

mkendall
December 10th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I think the meaning of "psychedelic" has changed in the last 40 years.

GeneralZod
December 10th, 2009, 06:20 PM

If I understand the question correctly, then yes :) In fact, you can have more than one panel on any side of the screen, so you can surround your desktop with more than 4 panels, if the mood took you (some people have their "main" panel at the top or bottom and several small, auto-hiding panels attached to the sides of the screen containing less-frequently-used Plasmoids).

Giant Speck
December 10th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Damn. I thought we had enough "KDE IS KOOL!!!1!" threads.

I guess I was mistaken.

SuperSonic4
December 10th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Looks cluttered to me but otherwise cool. What theme do you use?

RiceMonster
December 10th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I don't think you have enough plasmoids.

CJ Master
December 10th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Needs more Cowbell.

hoppipolla
December 11th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I think the meaning of "psychedelic" has changed in the last 40 years.

hehe I guess it was a little tongue in cheek, I really just meant "trippy and colourful"! :)

Looks cluttered to me but otherwise cool. What theme do you use?

Yeah people do say it looks busy, but I dunno I like it like that, it's all a personal thing! I actually use a combination of themes to make it look like that, mostly Arezzo, Glassified and Air, but sometimes Oxygen as well :)

I don't think you have enough plasmoids.

haha if I could fit more I'm SURE I would have! :D

I decided not to use that thing about placing plasmoids on different desktops when you "zoom out", as I actually find it a bit buggy and tricky to use at the moment. It's ok but I hope they find a way to smooth it out a little in future!

Chronon
December 11th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Needs more Cowbell.

In fact, that is the only cure for my fever.

nerdy_kid
December 11th, 2009, 04:42 AM
how bout this?
loved the 'Kluttered Desktop Environment Software Collection 4.3.4' so much i decided to implimant it lol -- besides, i need some practice being messy

HappyFeet
December 11th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Until it achieves the stability of gnome, looks don't mean much. I don't spend all my time gawking over how good my computer looks while I'm using it.

But, if it's any consolation, kde4 looks great, seriously.

sledge73
December 11th, 2009, 08:27 AM
if my desktop looked like that I'd freakout!!!
but then again I use gnome with no icons.

hoppipolla
December 11th, 2009, 08:58 AM
how bout this?
loved the 'Kluttered Desktop Environment Software Collection 4.3.4' so much i decided to implimant it lol -- besides, i need some practice being messy

hehe that's cool!

I mean that's the thing about KDE, it can be very neat and tidy and refined, or it can be messy and semi-out of control! It's just down to the way you want to interact with your pc and what you like :)

I quite like having everything right there in front of me even if it does look a bit crazy!

Sand & Mercury
December 11th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Screenshot thread is that way ==>

AllRadioisDead
December 11th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Screenshot thread is that way ==>
It's actually ^
That only works on 4chan where the boards are grouped horizontally, nice try though.

phrostbyte
December 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I love it. Go KDE! :KS

Sand & Mercury
December 11th, 2009, 10:49 AM
It's actually ^
That only works on 4chan where the boards are grouped horizontally, nice try though.
It works if you're not being anal about it as well.

Chame_Wizard
December 11th, 2009, 11:46 AM
What do you think? :)

I just worked out I could change the theme elements separately (I know I go on about KDE a lot, but I spend most of my time using it not tinkering! xD)

http://i47.tinypic.com/rr4aj5.jpg

Cool isn't it? :)

Hoppi!

You should use http://digitizor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/lancelot7.png(http://lancelot.fomentgroup.org/main) instead of Kicker.:P

nerdy_kid
December 11th, 2009, 01:53 PM
You should use http://digitizor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/lancelot7.png(http://lancelot.fomentgroup.org/main) instead of Kicker.:P

yeah, but the white flash when you open it ruins the nice polished desktop....if you notice in my desktop i dont even have a menu. i use Krunner and an 'applications' link.

SuperSonic4
December 11th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Until it achieves the stability of gnome, looks don't mean much. I don't spend all my time gawking over how good my computer looks while I'm using it.

But, if it's any consolation, kde4 looks great, seriously.

Yeah progression sucks. Seriously, how old is gnome now? KDE 4.4 is very stable especially considering it's a beta

RiceMonster
December 11th, 2009, 02:30 PM
You should use [IMG](http://lancelot.fomentgroup.org/main) instead of Kicker.:P

Nah, I actually prefer the layout of the kicker.

hoppipolla
December 12th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Nah, I actually prefer the layout of the kicker.

Yeah I'm a bit torn - Chame_Wizard what is the advantage of Lancelot, I've never really tried it o.O

Tibuda
December 12th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Yeah I'm a bit torn - Chame_Wizard what is the advantage of Lancelot, I've never really tried it o.O

Kicker kicks ***, but Lancelot is a knight of the round table! What an advantage!

SuperSonic4
December 12th, 2009, 12:28 AM

Then run both ;) - I prefer Lancelot mainly due to the fact it seems to fit in better with glassified theme.

edit - see attached

hoppipolla
December 12th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Then run both ;) - I prefer Lancelot mainly due to the fact it seems to fit in better with glassified theme.

edit - see attached

ooo preeeeetty O.O

SuperSonic4
December 12th, 2009, 12:44 AM
ooo preeeeetty O.O

Yeah it also has a rolling scrollbar which can't be shown in a screenie :p

kevCast
December 12th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Yeah it also has a rolling scrollbar which can't be shown in a screenie :p

gtk-qt-engine is messing up your Firefox.

:/

Shpongle
December 12th, 2009, 12:53 AM
I really like it , looks cool

SuperSonic4
December 12th, 2009, 12:54 AM
gtk-qt-engine is messing up your Firefox.

:/

Yeah, KDE 4.4 isn't retaining the settings for whatever reason

hoppipolla
December 12th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Yeah, KDE 4.4 isn't retaining the settings for whatever reason

what's Minefield?

and yeah that's odd, is it just on 4.4 beta?