PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need procedure to upgrade Desktop to Server

ebayskb
December 9th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Hi!

I installed 8.04 (Hardy Heron) desktop but now I want to upgrade it to the Server version. How do I do that? Is there a tutorial available or can someone post the commands/steps required?

You might ask why I am doing this....I actually wanted to install Server - long story short - the Dell (Dimension E520) I attempted to install on causes some conflict with the Server CD (the E520 only has USB ports and the installation freezes at the 'Language Choice' screen/prompt).

However, the desktop version of the software was able to be installed off of the CD. So, that's how I landed up having a desktop install instead of the Server that I really wanted.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

munky99999
December 9th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I dont think there is a procedure really.

You can simply install everything you want on the desktop version. Removing the gui or removing non-essential things will be a little annoying and slow going.

Sadly afaik there is no. Sudo apt-get covert-to-server

holastickboy
December 10th, 2009, 02:08 AM
yeah, it's true. You just install the server components on their own. Samba, nfs, apache, mysql, php, etc. An easy way is to download and install Lampp, which is a good web all-in-one package. The other stuff is just apt-get

HighCommander540
December 10th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Then un-install GNOME and all of the desktop applications like pidgin and Firefox.

Although, you don't need samba if you just want a web site server.