PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] midi with gui???

shane2peru
December 9th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Ok, I couldn't find any up-to-date info on this topic, so I'm bringing it back. This has been my question for years. :) I can't seem to find ANY GUI for midi files that works. I have timidity installed and it works fine, however honestly, I would love to have a front end for it. This is highly an annoyance, and really should not be so difficult. If you know of a GUI that will actually play midi files, I would love to hear about it. In Koala, fluidsynth is broken, and Muse doesn't seem to work either. I have read that jack has to be connected to something or something, but I don't even know who jack is? :D I did install jack, and can run it, but just really haven't got the hang of that stuff.

Shane

PS - I'm running 64bit, just for your info.

gordintoronto
December 9th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Totem will play MIDI files. Also Pykaraoke.

oldsoundguy
December 9th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Do NOT quote me on this, but I believe if you are using the KDE desktop, that there is a front end for Jack that works with it .. but, again, someone else will have to chime in on this.

I have a friend that runs a software company (been in business for over a couple of decades now) that writes software for composing (using midi) on Apple. Been trying to convince him to port his stuff to Linux as it is the killer composition app on Apple, but he IS in it to feed the wife and kid and keep a roof over their head, so he has to see some means to make a buck.

shane2peru
December 9th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Totem will play MIDI files. Also Pykaraoke.

Well, would you imagine that! Totem plays midi files!!! I never knew that. I don't like Totem, because it is generally slow, and has issues, but I'm impressed it plays midi files. Pykaraoke, well, came up, and didn't play, or no sound at least. Seems like a simple app though.

Do NOT quote me on this, but I believe if you are using the KDE desktop, that there is a front end for Jack that works with it .. but, again, someone else will have to chime in on this.

I have a friend that runs a software company (been in business for over a couple of decades now) that writes software for composing (using midi) on Apple. Been trying to convince him to port his stuff to Linux as it is the killer composition app on Apple, but he IS in it to feed the wife and kid and keep a roof over their head, so he has to see some means to make a buck.

Nope, I'm a gnomer. Yes, that is probably a downside to the open source stuff, it sure is tough to feed a family that way. I'm not against people making money, everyone has to live somehow.

I'm kind of looking for something that can adjust the tempo and volume on the fly? Perhaps I'm looking for too much. I'm still impressed with Totem though.

Shane