PDA

View Full Version : How well are VIA graphics supported in linux?

valkro
December 9th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Im looking into a netbook that has a VIA IGP, would it be a mistake?

FuturePilot
December 9th, 2009, 08:32 PM
From what I've gathered, terribly.

valkro
December 9th, 2009, 08:34 PM
From what I've gathered, terribly.

What are the problems?

Diluted
December 9th, 2009, 08:35 PM
If you're going to stick with the distributions which are supported by VIA (http://linux.via.com.tw/support/downloadFiles.action), then you'll be fine. I had a HP 2133 and I could not get graphics to work with openchrome in various distributions and with different BIOS versions.

valkro
December 9th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Oh they actually have drivers?

SunnyRabbiera
December 9th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Oh they actually have drivers?

Maybe but its reported its all on the poor side

valkro
December 9th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Maybe but its reported its all on the poor side

I guess I will just keep the xp that comes with it.

starcannon
December 9th, 2009, 08:55 PM
VIA drivers generally have to be compiled from source, and even then, they suck; that is an improvement though, not very long ago VIA modules for Linux were non-existent. Be sure to let VIA know that we appreciate effort, and encourage them to continue. I used to buy their products in preference back in my Win98 days. Good gear, **** poor Linux support.

valkro
December 9th, 2009, 09:28 PM
VIA drivers generally have to be compiled from source, and even then, they suck; that is an improvement though, not very long ago VIA modules for Linux were non-existent. Be sure to let VIA know that we appreciate effort, and encourage them to continue. I used to by their products in preference back in my Win98 days. Good gear, **** poor Linux support.

Do they at least support compiz?

Diluted
December 9th, 2009, 09:36 PM
If you use the drivers on their website, then yes. The last time I ran compiz on HP 2133 was on Ubuntu 8.04.

If you do have a HP 2133, then I'd suggest heading over to this place (http://www.hpminiguide.com/forum/other-linux-distributions/). There are various guides to get 3D running on various distributions.

starcannon
December 9th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Do they at least support compiz?

It depends on the chipset, and even then, on the system its integrated with.
I have a cloudbook with a "supported" chipset. It has issues. Direct rendering works from a liveCD, but not after installation. Direct Rendering works after compiling and installing the module, but I was never able to find a combination of xorg.conf settings that would render the display useful, just a garbled mess(but hey, that garbled mess could do compiz lol).

If you want a good Linux netbook with the least amount of headache, I'd say stick with Intel based systems for the time being.

GL&HF