PDA

View Full Version : Crashes (bugs) & KDE: What do you think ?

patrick295767
February 23rd, 2006, 10:07 AM
Is KDE under Ubuntu, even more stable than a MACintosh OS X ?,

Too much crashes & bugs ?,

Or, you're fine with it ?

Greetz'

GeneralZod
February 23rd, 2006, 10:10 AM
I don't think I've ever used a DE that wasn't "stable" :confused: . Kubuntu itself has quite a few annoying bugs, though.

aysiu
February 23rd, 2006, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't say Mac OS X is the model of stability. I've seen my fair share of rainbow circles of death. I know some people are going to disagree with me on this, but the most stable OS I've used is Windows XP--no blue screens of death, no deathly lockups... Control-Alt-Delete gets me out of any bind.

That said, KDE is buggy if you play around with it too much. I keep it pretty vanilla of late, and I've yet to see it do anything weird (freeze up, crash). A lot of times, though, it's not KDE itself (as a desktop environment) but KDE applications that have a tendency to crash. I've seen those same KDE applications crash as often in Gnome and XFCE as well.

While the Linux kernel is stable, the desktop has too many variables in play. You have multiple desktop environments, packages that may have been aliened in from an RPM, some packages from source, some packages from DEBs, some commercial software (think Firefox), some written-in-someone's-basement software (think SharpMusique). With all of those elements at play, it's easy to screw up your system if you play around too much.

GoldBuggie
February 23rd, 2006, 11:20 AM
Depends on if it is KDE in itself that is buggy or another softare that is effecting it. With KDE 3.5.1 and some small "bug" fixes I find it to be stable. I do not have that many crashes. I have had some apps crashes(apps quiting on me for doing something to quickly or something) but this is quite rare. But that is most an application fault then a KDE fault.

So the fast answer to is KDE stable is "yes".

Most problems ppl have does not seem to be KDE stability related.

patrick295767
February 23rd, 2006, 12:35 PM
According to me, I find lot of apps of KDE very nice, very beautiful and useful ...

But on the other hand, they are pretty buggy...
My worst and rather complaining point is : kbear & krusader & kaffeine ...
How to do stgh with them.

Kate is working very nicely : not a single crash ...

Is it possible to do sthg, to help the KDE developpers... 'cos this situation will achieve to similar resutls as Windows & its blue screens.

People always say that Linux is very stable ... but KDE is the black sheep of Linux concerning stability (I like the programs a lot but stability ??? [-( ).

I think KDE has to take this problem very very carefully and to do sthg in emergency. The concureence betwween MAC, Windows and Linux is Wild.

Mac, stable OS, is now one of the Best Os, since it's integrating """"Unix"""" ...

So, KDE is kind of buggy, in particular for some specific apps, which can be annoying sometimes ...

According to me ...

Thanks,

Greetz

Pat'