PDA

View Full Version : don't buy HP!!!

SeePU
December 9th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I need to remove my recommendation of HP printers based on their Linux support, the HPLIP and all that.

Their products are garbage. I have a piece of junk, HP Photosmart C4480 printer that I cannot scan with. At all.

The alignment test repeatedly fails. I am giving up. I am not the type of person to turn around and then try to sell this. I could try to sell it with the report that scanning doesn't work but who would buy a defective printer?

I bought it from someone who claimed to not use it. The person said it was never out of the box as it came with a computer, probably at a big box store. I find it hard to believe. Pretty big coincidence that it doesn't work! I can also assert that I've used another one before, the wireless version, and it was crap, too. It constantly had paper jams. I didn't use the scanning feature, only printing b&w but it would constantly jam.

HP printers are garbage, imho. They are overpriced and the general overall quality of HP products in general are universally poor and they have a poor reputation. The HP printer line is only held in high esteem because of Linux support and it's only from their previous older HP laser models and business hype that they are even used.

I don't care about the Linux support with HP anymore because their products are such garbage.

I think if you are looking for a printer for Ubuntu or any other brand of Linux, consider Canon for inkjet and Samsung for laser printers. I have used Samsung laser printers and they are excellent. I haven't used Canon yet but they are said to be the best for inkjet printing and at least Canon has a line of scanners so their scanning functions in their inkjets probably work half decent.

Yes, Canon doesn't have the greatest Linux support but there are drivers for them; you just have to find them and they are often found at the European and Asian support sites. Also, their ink costs are usually slightly higher but at least the printer and all the functions should work unlike HP.

Okay, I'm done. I have a defective printer to get rid of.

SuperSonic4
December 9th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Speak for yourself, my HP works flawlessly, wireless and all.

Simian Man
December 9th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I have had two HP printers, 2 laptops and a desktop and they all work flawlessly with Linux.

subdivision
December 9th, 2009, 04:32 PM

This. I've used the same HP printer for quite a while now and haven't had any problems with it at all.

SLEEPER_V
December 9th, 2009, 04:33 PM
qft

SeePU
December 9th, 2009, 04:33 PM
You probably have old ones then.

Read the reviews for that series, Photosmart. Over 80% are negative. I didn't realize that before I bought the printer. I bought it based on the Linux support.

jwbrase
December 9th, 2009, 04:36 PM
HP printers are garbage, imho. They are overpriced and the general overall quality of HP products in general are universally poor and they have a poor reputation.

I'll say they're overpriced. There isn't a single company these days that isn't putting out printers that are overpriced and over-featured.

You wouldn't happen to live anywhere near Berlin, would you? I'm actually looking for a printer, and it doesn't matter how broken other features are as long as it prints B&W and is cheap. I went shopping for one a while ago and couldn't find any for under 50€, nor could I find a single one that didn't have color, scan, and copy included. I'd really like to find something that prints B&W only for 20€ or less. I'm an exchange student and don't need any fancy features, nor can I afford to spend 50€ on something that won't fit in my suitcase for the trip back.

Skripka
December 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM

My Photosmart c6280 works great

PmDematagoda
December 9th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I have an HP OfficeJet 4255 which works flawlessly for me as well, I've been using it for more than two years, the driver support is great on Linux too. So I do not agree with the OP's initial post.

Although admittedly, not everything HP makes is so great, I am especially disappointed that HP do not provide proper Linux drivers for their ScanJets, one of which I have lying around that I cannot seem to use on Linux at all.

And I don't think your title is that fair either, because you are only talking about the printers/scanners that HP makes, not everything that HP makes. So with your permission, may I change the title to something a bit more clearer?

SLEEPER_V
December 9th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Read the reviews for that series, Photosmart. Over 80% are negative. I didn't realize that before I bought the printer. I bought it based on the Linux support.
I have an officejet 6480, maybe a year old. In fact after a little checking, I got it cheaper then than I could now. Nothing but good reviews online and from me.

SeePU
December 9th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Nope, not even in Germany, sorry.

I recommend you buy a Canon inkjet. Less headaches. I think you can visit the Canon website and take a look at the ones that have Linux drivers, usually there is one for .deb and one for .rpm.

I think most of the IP2xx, IP3xx and IP4xxx will work. An IP2600 should work fine for you. It is the one I was considering before I bought my junk. :) There are Linux drivers at the Canon sites.

anaconda
December 9th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I wont buy HP:s..

But it has nothing to do with the quality of HP:s products.

I just dont like a comppany, that does cheap tricks against its customers.

FuturePilot
December 9th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I've had at least 6 HP printers come into my possession and they've all worked great. In fact I've always been impressed with HP's higher quality of products than other brands.

I just dont like a comppany, that does cheap tricks against its customers.

[citation needed]

SeePU
December 9th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I have an HP OfficeJet 4255 which works flawlessly for me as well, I've been using it for more than two years, the driver support is great on Linux too. So I do not agree with the OP's initial post.

Although admittedly, not everything HP makes is so great, I am especially disappointed that HP do not provide proper Linux drivers for their ScanJets, one of which I have lying around that I cannot seem to use on Linux at all.

And I don't think your title is that fair either, because you are only talking about the printers/scanners that HP makes, not everything that HP makes. So with your permission, may I change the title to something a bit more clearer?
Well, I prefer you not but it's up to you. The reason why is I think HP used to have good stuff and I think they got greedy and started putting out more inferior hardware.

Not to mention, their software for all their hardware has been notoriously bad down the line. I am not sure why you can't get your scanner working but I had the impression that older HP scanners worked well in Linux. I know of one that someone has that works fine. I am mostly complaining about their more modern and recent hardware so if you wish to modify my title on that, I can agree. ;)

Uncle Spellbinder
December 9th, 2009, 04:46 PM

I'm using a Photosmart C4280 All-In-One printer/scanner/copier. Has worked flawlessly under Jaunty and continues to work flawlessly under Karmic. Never an issue.

SeePU
December 9th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I've had at least 6 HP printers come into my possession and they've all worked great. In fact I've always been impressed with HP's higher quality of products than other brands.
[citation needed]
Not sure where you get that. I read some reviews before I bought the printer so I was concerned. But, I bought it at a discounted price but I'm still frustrated and irritated because the printer function that is included doesn't work at all. The alignment test repeatedly fails and I get the message it will effect the quality of prints for everything. So, the printer is utterly useless.

SeePU
December 9th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I'm using a Photosmart C4280 All-In-One printer/scanner/copier. Has worked flawlessly under Jaunty and continues to work flawlessly under Karmic. Never an issue.
I would give you mine if you were near me. Maybe you could wave your magic wand at it. :rolleyes:

FuturePilot
December 9th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Not sure where you get that.

Where I got what?

Uncle Spellbinder
December 9th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I would give you mine if you were near me. Maybe you could wave your magic wand at it. :rolleyes:
Come to think of it, the same printer has worked well under OpenSUSE 11 and Fedora 12.

Maybe your wand is broke. :)

alphaniner
December 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you said you bought the printer from a individual who claimed he never used it. Are you sure you didn't just get scammed?

pwnst*r
December 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM
my HP and brother printers rock.

OP :(

FuturePilot
December 9th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you said you bought the printer from a individual who claimed he never used it. Are you sure you didn't just get scammed?

That's what I was thinking.

SLEEPER_V
December 9th, 2009, 04:54 PM
How silly. No one ever gets scammed on the world wide interwebz

lykwydchykyn
December 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM
You're not seriously recommending Canon? This has got to be a joke. One of the most Linux-unfriendly printer makers out there. I got one as a Christmas gift last year, took me weeks of hacking around to get it functional.

SeePU
December 9th, 2009, 04:58 PM
So you never buy something on sale?

Anyway, the latest update is that I got it to scan but I have two huge black bars going down the image. I only scanned to PC as I didn't want to waste any more ink or paper.

It's down the right side just off-center.

Considering the reviews for the Photosmart series and the previous Photosmart I've used, I have to conclude they are just a poor design and basically junk. So, no, I don't think it's just this one. Sorry, HP fans.

jwbrase
Nope, not even in Germany, sorry.

I recommend you buy a Canon inkjet. Less headaches. I think you can visit the Canon website and take a look at the ones that have Linux drivers, usually there is one for .deb and one for .rpm.

I think most of the IP2xx, IP3xx and IP4xxx will work. An IP2600 should work fine for you. It is the one I was considering before I bought my junk. :) There are Linux drivers at the Canon sites.

Your English sounded to good for me to have much hope, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

We have a Canon at home. I forget the model number. The 2600 is too expensive for me though...

Cheap is the big thing I'm looking for, but printers nowadays tend to have more features than cell phones...

SeePU
You're not seriously recommending Canon? This has got to be a joke. One of the most Linux-unfriendly printer makers out there. I got one as a Christmas gift last year, took me weeks of hacking around to get it functional.
Canon has the best ink quality. Look it up.

Yes, I am recommending Canon. You took weeks because you didn't know where to look (for drivers).

Странник
December 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I have had trouble with my P1005

SeePU
December 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Your English sounded to good for me to have much hope, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

We have a Canon at home. I forget the model number. The 2600 is too expensive for me though...

Cheap is the big thing I'm looking for, but printers nowadays tend to have more features than cell phones...
The older Canons weren't that good. The newer ones are okay as far as newer inkjets go. They are all pretty awful with trying to jam too many features as you say. That is always the case, trying to have too many features and then they aren't any good at either. I recommend Canon inkjets since they have the best overall functions of the competitors. You have to run through a bit of hoops to get it working in Linux but mostly it is trying to find the instructions for the install and visiting other Canon support sites (not the North American ones for some reason). I researched this before buying the HP so I know.

gn2
December 9th, 2009, 05:08 PM
There are three Hp PSC12XX in my family, they have all given superb service for years.
If I ever have to buy another printer it will be an Hp.

Ylon
December 9th, 2009, 05:15 PM
My experience with:

HP Scanjet 3100C
HP LaserJet M1120 MFP

Smooth on linux.

The Real Dave
December 9th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I love my HP printer, both with Windows and Linux. Its been through a lot, attacked by my little cousin with a screw driver, dropped, kicked, and I'm almost sure I spilled coffee on it. Still works perfectly, prints and scans great. Its a PSC1200 btw :D

SeePU
December 9th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Those are old. They are not in stores anymore. Please pay attention to the complaint. I'm talking about modern, HP products. Within the last few years including the HP Photosmart C4400 series, they have gone to crap.

They outsource to India. To summarize, they don't care about their products nor their customers anymore....at all! Therefore... don't buy and boycott HP! Thanks!

toupeiro
December 9th, 2009, 05:35 PM
speak for yourself, my hp works flawlessly, wireless and all.

+1.

lisati
December 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I've used a couple of HP printers with Windows, with varied results, but haven't tried any with Linux yet. I haven't used the Photosmart one for a few years now, too darned expensive for the cartridge (something like $NZ80 just for one the last time I checked)

The printers I currently have are by Epson: one worked straight out of the box with Ubuntu, the other (a multifunction) needed a bit of "best guess" for which driver to use with Ubuntu but was usable.

pwnst*r
December 9th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Those are old. They are not in stores anymore. Please pay attention to the complaint. I'm talking about modern, HP products. Within the last few years including the HP Photosmart C4400 series, they have gone to crap.

They outsource to India. To summarize, they don't care about their products nor their customers anymore....at all! Therefore... don't buy and boycott HP! Thanks!

rubbish. Thanks!

scottuss
December 9th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I have a Photosmart 2575 and it works OK. Not excellent, but not bad. I don't have driver problems and it's networked via my wireless router so I'd say it's not too bad overall.

FuturePilot
December 9th, 2009, 05:52 PM

One of the HP printers I have is a Photosmart C4380 (not old) and it works great.

SuperSonic4
December 9th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I have a Photosmart C4580 and as mentioned in post 2 it works fine

Uncle Spellbinder
December 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Sounds like to OP has his own problems. As many here have no issues with the Photosmart 'C' series. The issue is NOT HP.

A fine company I've never had issues with in my more than 10 years of using HP products (computers and printers). Performance, service (when needed) and customer service in general have been exemplary.

amazingtaters
December 9th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Jotta jump on the bandwagon and say that my Deskjet F4180 works just fine. Hell, it even scans great, and with the Linux support I wouldn't go any other way, unless I could get a Kodak to work since the ink is super cheap for those.

SeePU
December 9th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Sounds like to OP has his own problems. As many here have no issues with the Photosmart 'C' series. The issue is NOT HP.

A fine company I've never had issues with in my more than 10 years of using HP products (computers and printers). Performance, service (when needed) and customer service in general have been exemplary.
I don't go by people here, no offense.

Check the reviews on newegg, Znet, etc. Many report the jamming problem. I also stated why I think the product has turned to poor quality as well.

Just because some HP employees log in to say it works, doesn't mean anything.

I really don't care about people replying 'it works' as I was just stating my experience and why I thought HP was a bad choice to support.

I'm done. No one suggested anything and I don't think this thread has any more substance to continue.

I won't be replying to any more 'it works for me' posts. Lucky you if your HP works. I don't care. Cheers.

pwnst*r
December 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM
in all fairness you bought it from an unauthorized "dealer" and you're not even sure if it's new or used.

and in regards to your last post, i'm sure most of us DON'T care that yours doesn't work. cheers.

FuturePilot
December 9th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I don't go by people here, no offense.

Check the reviews on newegg, Znet, etc. Many report the jamming problem. I also stated why I think the product has turned to poor quality as well.

I take those kind of reviews with a grain of salt. Why? Because half of them go something like this: "I bought $PRODUCT and I (insert one of the following) [dropped, kicked, smashed, spilled something on it, sat on, dropped it in the toilet] and now it doesn't work right anymore. Don't buy $PRODUCT. WORST $PRODUCT EVAR!!!111"

I'm done. No one suggested anything and I don't think this thread has any more substance to continue.
If you wanted help you should have posted in one of the support forums.

in all fairness you bought it from an unauthorized "dealer" and you're not even sure if it's new or used.

and in regards to your last post, i'm sure most of us DON'T care that yours doesn't work. cheers.
this

Dave67
December 9th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I have two HP printers and the both work out of the box on Ubuntu
HP c3150 Photosmart scanner and all and HP 952C no jamming I also purchased a new model Photosmart C4580 at best buy clearance sale and it is supported as well. still no jamming most of the time you need to update the HPlib for newer models I did on one of my clients systems after that he was happy and he is 80 year old man.

Do not load to much paper into it at one time in a photosmart model that can jam it, I only do half of what the it can hold or this cause it to grab to many sheets at once than jamming happens. I have and always will buy HP.

If you buy used devices you get what you pay for

dave

MooPi
December 9th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I thought modern society was going paperless. Go green and ditch that printer and submit papers, reports and etc... as .pdf

Psumi
December 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM
My HP Officejet 6500 works flawlessly in ubuntu, and I just bought it too.

No need to set it up from the computer (unless I want to print grayscale)

Wireless wizard on the panel does the job, and it all works without much work, if any.

Requires HPLIP 3.9.4 and higher of course, so I'd have to install the new version of HPLIP if I wanted it in hardy. But since 10.04 is so close, I'll wait for it :3

I thought modern society was going paperless. Go green and ditch that printer and submit papers, reports and etc... as .pdf

Oh you.

lisati
December 9th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I thought modern society was going paperless

I've been hearing that one for years. It hasn't happened, has it?

RiceMonster
December 9th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Things aren't always as you'd like them to be.

BuffaloX
December 9th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Buying defect hardware sucks, if it's out of warranty and you can't get your money back from the guy who sold it to you, it really sucks.

If it was never out of the box, it should have the original sealed starter ink cartridges, so how can you be in doubt if it was?
Is it out of warranty? If it is, it seems like you bought a second hand item out of warranty, without checking if it works.

No hardware maker has zero defect, most has a defect ratio of 1-2 in a thousand, maybe a little more for printers, since they have many moving parts.

I agree HP is a bit expensive, but overpriced is a matter of opinion.
Canon printers are good, but their Linux support suck big time.

Personally I'm considering a Samsung color laser ATM for my mother in law.
Samsung even has a guide to Linux driver installation and configuration in the manual. I don't remember seeing that before.

AllRadioisDead
December 9th, 2009, 08:00 PM
tSo OP, let me get this straight.
You bought a printer from some random guy who said he never used it. Sounds like craigslist.
It doesn't work. Your freak out and make a rant on the forums for everyone to drop what they're doing and boycott HP. Funny, because I'm typing this on an HP, and while I did buy it refurbished, I bought it with a warranty, and when I had a problem with the AC adapter last week tech support contacted me the next day after using their online support. I was very impressed.

fatcrab
December 9th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Canon? Fanboy?

EndPerform
December 9th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I bought it from someone who claimed to not use it. The person said it was never out of the box as it came with a computer, probably at a big box store. I find it hard to believe. Pretty big coincidence that it doesn't work!

This piece of your original post is enough to say you've probably got a dud. No need to go on a rant-fest about HP "crap" when you're not even sure the thing worked to begin with. This just tends to lead to misinformation.

starcannon
December 9th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I need to remove my recommendation of HP printers based on their Linux support, the HPLIP and all that.

Their products are garbage. I have a piece of junk, HP Photosmart C4480 printer that I cannot scan with. At all.

The alignment test repeatedly fails. I am giving up. I am not the type of person to turn around and then try to sell this. I could try to sell it with the report that scanning doesn't work but who would buy a defective printer?

I bought it from someone who claimed to not use it. The person said it was never out of the box as it came with a computer, probably at a big box store. I find it hard to believe. Pretty big coincidence that it doesn't work! I can also assert that I've used another one before, the wireless version, and it was crap, too. It constantly had paper jams. I didn't use the scanning feature, only printing b&w but it would constantly jam.

HP printers are garbage, imho. They are overpriced and the general overall quality of HP products in general are universally poor and they have a poor reputation. The HP printer line is only held in high esteem because of Linux support and it's only from their previous older HP laser models and business hype that they are even used.

I don't care about the Linux support with HP anymore because their products are such garbage.

I think if you are looking for a printer for Ubuntu or any other brand of Linux, consider Canon for inkjet and Samsung for laser printers. I have used Samsung laser printers and they are excellent. I haven't used Canon yet but they are said to be the best for inkjet printing and at least Canon has a line of scanners so their scanning functions in their inkjets probably work half decent.

Yes, Canon doesn't have the greatest Linux support but there are drivers for them; you just have to find them and they are often found at the European and Asian support sites. Also, their ink costs are usually slightly higher but at least the printer and all the functions should work unlike HP.

All I use are HP printers, never had a moments problem, not even paper jams. I think the text I emphasized probably explains a lot; I'll leave it up to you and others to do the math.

Georgia boy
December 9th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I have a HP750 all in one that I've been using for years in both Windows and also when I installed Ubuntu. Haven't had a problem yet except of course the cost of ink.;)
Well, soemtimes the last page might stick when printed but that has nothing to do with being able to use the printer/scaner/copier. Would I buy another one? Probably.

Tom

gletob
December 9th, 2009, 09:38 PM

Glad to know about your expierence but I can't say the feeling is mutual. I have two HP printer's one a PSC 1610 and the other a OfficeJet 6310 PSC Fax. The PSC 1610 is connect via USB to my laptop and work's flawlessly. The 6310 is connect to my network via ethernet and everything work flawlessly also.

slumbergod
December 9th, 2009, 10:07 PM
We have an HP netbook and an HP laptop. Both are crap.

The netbook's motherboard died in the first couple of weeks and it took HP 3 months and at least 2 replacement mbs to sort that. The wireless is very flaky too.

Then on the laptop the battery is dead.

Never again for HP laptops!

sudoer541
December 9th, 2009, 11:07 PM
my ubu works with everything I throw at it. except the hammer!

Chilli Bob
December 9th, 2009, 11:26 PM

I bought a C4400 2 months ago. It worked perfectly from the moment I plugged it in. Sure, it does not have quite the print quality of my old Brother, but that is the difference between a $250 printer and a $88 printer. Scans perfectly too. I couldn't be happier with it, and will continue to recommend HP products.

I suspect that the one you bought got dropped by the previous owner or something. That is the risk of buying second hand with no warenty.

lykwydchykyn
December 9th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Canon has the best ink quality. Look it up.

Yes, I am recommending Canon. You took weeks because you didn't know where to look (for drivers).

Uh huh. And you know all about it, because you were right there with me the whole time. Or psychic.

:rolleyes:

Raffles10
December 10th, 2009, 12:04 AM
HP are just about the best printers you can get for Linux, I got rid of a Lexmark because it was a nightmare to get working, never had a problem with HP.

It's best not to post stuff when you're feeling pissed off with something, you're not exactly at your most rational.

Irihapeti
December 10th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I get tired of people giving me orders about what I should and shouldn't do. Especially when they don't know all my circumstances.

If I listened to all the "don't buy...", "don't use...", "boycott..." messages, I'd be unable to do a thing.

speedwell68
December 10th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I have been using HP printers and scanners for over 20 years and I have never had a bad one. I have a ethernet photo printer and scanner, can't be bothered to remember which model as it is in the cupboard under the stairs connected to the router, a DJ D2400 and a 6x4 photo printer all connected to this PC, either wirelessly or by USB and they are all flawless.

Ylon
December 10th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I won't be replying to any more 'it works for me' posts. Lucky you if your HP works. I don't care. Cheers.

I'd say that, until now, everything marked "hp" did work for me. I don't pretend that my experience are a warranty for anyone wanting to buy HP.. but if someone ask about my experience I can:

1. lie
2. ignore him/her
3. tell my experience

So, basically you're asking to both:

1. expose your (bad) experience with HP
2. other propose their (only) bad experience with HP
3. lie (telling the "good" as "bad") or ignore this thread.

Anyway, this is also called "trolling".. and I prefer to :guitar:

BrokenKingpin
December 10th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I have a HP desktop as well as a HP printer, both of which work perfectly in Linux.

pookiebear
December 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM
go on freecycle.org
get signed up with your local area.
here the inkjet printers show up about 4 a day. for free.
scanners show up a few times a month.
or just get a scanner to go along with it.
freecycle is great if you have never used it.
I got 2 hp laserjet 6l printers this year that both work and had extra toner cartridges, free.
1 $5 wireless print server later from ebay and I had a networked laserjet at the house.
Inkjets are not worth repairing or spending more than 5 minutes troubleshooting. Just spend that time finding a replacement for cheap.

And I am a warranty certified HP tech (printers, workstations, and servers), MCSE and CCNA (Been a tech for 17 years now) FYI

And I agree with the poster above that said the printers have all these crap new features that just break and drive the cost up. Just make me a printer that works and the carts are cheap. The digital displays and and extra junk is just.... crap.

Irihapeti
December 10th, 2009, 09:18 PM
This is what I get from the whole exchange. One negative experience should be listened to and acted on by the whole world. It's of the utmost validity.

Yet, a positive experience is irrelevant. It should be ignored. Even several positive experiences are irrelevant.

I'd like to know why I should give far more weight to ONE negative experience than several positive ones.

joes7
December 10th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I have one HP laptop (and a PC running Xubuntu :) )
One HP Printer
/They all work fine.

Zoot7
December 10th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Never again for HP laptops!
Ditto.

I've never bought a HP laptop but I have had a lot of trouble with one of them first hand.
A friend of mine got a virus under XP, which of course would not boot any more, so she brought it to me. I tried a Ubuntu live CD and USB stick to get her files off it. Well the laptop refused to boot from a CD (this wasn't an isolated issue apparently) and wasn't capable to boot from a USB Stick it seemed.
Then I pulled the hard drive out, thinking I'd slap it in an enclosure and I'd get at her files. Sadly though, the hard drive had an usual format of connector and it didn't fit in either my laptop or my enclosure (which was a normal run-of-the-mill enclosure for 2.5' SATA drives). For a finish I had to look up the pin out of the SATA connections and solder a makeshift connector to get the hard drive to work with my enclosure and got her essential files that way. (It was a convoluted way of doing it; maybe a USB CD drive would have worked, but I shouldn't have to go buy one of those).
After that it was enough for me to decide never to buy a HP laptop myself.

As for printers I can't comment, my one is a Samsung which works fine with Windows and Linux.

pwnst*r
December 10th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Ditto.

I've never bought a HP laptop but I have had a lot of trouble with one of them first hand.
A friend of mine got a virus under XP, which of course would not boot any more, so she brought it to me. I tried a Ubuntu live CD and USB stick to get her files off it. Well the laptop refused to boot from a CD (this wasn't an isolated issue apparently) and wasn't capable to boot from a USB Stick it seemed.
Then I pulled the hard drive out, thinking I'd slap it in an enclosure and I'd get at her files. Sadly though, the hard drive had an usual format of connector and it didn't fit in either my laptop or my enclosure (which was a normal run-of-the-mill enclosure for 2.5' SATA drives). For a finish I had to look up the pin out of the SATA connections and solder a makeshift connector to get the hard drive to work with my enclosure and got her essential files that way. (It was a convoluted way of doing it; maybe a USB CD drive would have worked, but I shouldn't have to go buy one of those).
After that it was enough for me to decide never to buy a HP laptop myself.

As for printers I can't comment, my one is a Samsung which works fine with Windows and Linux.

um, that doesn't sound like an HP laptop "issue" at all what you experienced.

SLEEPER_V
December 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I thought this thread was locked down

pricetech
December 10th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Uh huh. And you know all about it, because you were right there with me the whole time. Or psychic.

:rolleyes:

I think the word you're looking for is "psychotic".

If the original poster wanted to start an "I LOVE HP" thread, he couldn't have found a better way to do it.

Add me to the list of folks who are happy with HP. I support several at work and have a Photosmart at home that just plain works with Ubuntu. All the functions, no "hacking" or driver searching necessary.

I'd ask him to send me the printer, but I doubt he would since I didn't side with him.

Zoot7
December 10th, 2009, 09:59 PM
um, that doesn't sound like an HP laptop "issue" at all what you experienced.
The OEM is responsible for the type of hard drive that's in the machine though so technically it is a HP laptop "issue" as you mentioned.

To be fair that's more than likely not the case for all other models, but the non-standard connector format was quite a shock I must say, I was under the impression that Hard Drives were above the proprietary lock down approach (non-standard this, non-standard that to lock you into buying a new PC) some OEMs take with their machines.
Quite a shock, your OS takes a dunk and you can't get at the files on the drive.

Anyway as I said, I've no idea what all HP Laptop models are like in this regard so I can't comment.

SeePU
December 26th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I have this 'TrayApp' program now that refuses to be shut down and it just continues to load and try to install even though I have tried to close it repeatedly. This is in Windows mind you but you would think that HP would at least work on their Windows programs a bit more...

Yep, HP sucks, HP printers blow... it's true... It doesn't matter if your printer works...blah, blah... you don't know what you're talking about... the people who replied just because they need to be argumentative. I kept to facts and illustrated reasons how I reached my assessment. What did other people do? Nothing. They got mad because I blasted some company that they might have bought some hardware of the same brand. HP Software for their products have been abysmal for years. Even in Windows.

dragos240
December 26th, 2009, 11:13 PM

I have that EXACT printer. It can scan, print, and copy just fine! I love HP products!

Exodist
December 26th, 2009, 11:28 PM
My 5850 works flawlessly via USB, Networked or Wireless. HP has the best printer support for Linux hands down. If someone doesnt have their printer working or acting funny. You can easily grab the full HP driver kit from HPs website and its fairly easy to install. No harder then nVidia or ATI drivers.

cariboo
December 27th, 2009, 02:24 AM
This thread has run it's course. SeePU had a bad experience, unlike the rest of us. Closed.