PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Open Request to Ubuntu

shaunmenzies
December 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Hello Ubuntu,

Could you provide documentation that clearly shows users how to cross-compile a Karmic Ubuntu kernel ?

Netbook users can't really be expected to compile kernels on their netbooks. Given hardware limitations the compile process is horrendously slow on such platforms. Therefore it would be beneficial if you provide them with a guide to cross-compile on their desktops. My argument for this request is as follows:

Most samsung users are currently experiencing function key issues running Ubuntu on their samsung netbooks. This is due to samsung keyboards not functioning correctly in that they don't send a key_release_event when the function key is unpressed. The biggest impact is that screen brightness cannot be controlled by the assigned function key combo, a very necessary utility if one wants to conserve power on netbooks whilst away from power sources.

A patch exists for this problem called the force_release_patch that is scheduled for release in Ubuntu 10.04 (i.e. next April) however this may well be too late for some samsung users who will shy away from Ubuntu until this issue is fixed.

I have personally gone through the pain of recompiling the existing kernel with the force_release_patch applied but, again due to scant documentation, this is not evident for other users.

Therefore, I feel it be beneficial to Ubuntu if they were to provide a cross-compile 'how to' for Karmic so that users may solve their issues now rather than wait till next April.

My fear is that failure to act now will force non-techical Samsung netbook users to stay with Windows....which must surely be detrimental to the goals of Ubuntu as a viable alternative netbook OS.

If Ubuntu does not want to provide clear documentation then could you please leave a simple reply stating why ?

Many thanks.

audiomick
December 9th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hi Shaun,
the bulk of the Documentation is written by volunteers, and you seem to have a fair handle on the problem...;)

shaunmenzies
December 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I can appreciate that if the bulk of documentation is written by volunteers then it goes some way into explaining the state of the documentation.

As you have surely noted from this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1313956), I have been trying to assist Samsung netbook users by providing an ISO image of a patched kernel. Unfortunately, as later posts in the topic highlight, I have so far been unable to cross-compile for a netbook - hence this Open Request.

I would be more than happy to document a 'how to' myself for the community but I imagine it might first be necessary for me to know 'how to'.

Cheers.

audiomick
December 9th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Fair enough.:p
No offense meant.

shaunmenzies
December 10th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hey no offence taken ;) just trying to help the community. But maybe that was my mistake.:D

shaunmenzies
December 14th, 2009, 05:15 PM
This thread can be closed now. I've returned to Windows XP. The Ubuntu 9.10 NBR interface is very nice but what's the point if there are so many underlying netbook hardware issues.

First we have the force_release fiasco and now we have the ATH5K atheros driver fiasco. These issues are purely the fault of the manufacturer, not Ubunto. Yet in order to use the netbook as intended, Windows XP simply works out of the box whereas my Ubuntu experience has been painfull to say the least.

So thanks for all the fish chaps! Maybe i'll be back in a year or so.

phillw
December 14th, 2009, 05:27 PM
This thread can be closed now

+1 next mod passing by ;-)