PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot boot from ubuntu 9.10 cd

aspire4720
December 9th, 2009, 12:50 PM
hi,

i just received ubuntu and kubuntu 9.10 cd's but im not able to open the cd or boot from the cd.

im using an Acer Aspire 4720 laptop, which is running on windows 7. also i have set 1st boot option to cd/dvd ROM.

there was no errors when i tried to boot from the windows 7.

[-(

so anyone know whats up????

darkod
December 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM
When you say you can't even open the cd, you mean that even from inside windows you can't open the cd and look at the files?

aspire4720
December 13th, 2009, 01:04 PM
yeah!

i even checked with kubuntu and another ubuntu 9.10 CD but no luck!

but i dont think theres any problem with my cd ROM coz when i tried with windows cd there was no problem.

phillw
December 13th, 2009, 01:15 PM
yeah!

i even checked with kubuntu and another ubuntu 9.10 CD but no luck!

but i dont think theres any problem with my cd ROM coz when i tried with windows cd there was no problem.

Hi,

What happens if you try to boot from a windows install cd ? (For Gods sake - don't proceed with the install - I just want to see if it boots from the cd !!!!)

Phill.

aspire4720
December 13th, 2009, 05:54 PM
i does boot, when i try from windows cd.

darkod
December 13th, 2009, 05:58 PM
You could try with a usb stick if you have one at hand.

sterilegenie
December 29th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Im having the same issue "not being able to boot from the live cd" but its not anything to do with Ubuntu, its something to do with kernel 2.6.31 or possibly udev because I get the same errors trying to boot Sabayon, Kubuntu, and Fedora. It also should be noted that I can boot any prior kernel on this machine. I have been scouring the internet for a solution but have yet to come up with one. I have found several post claiming that if theres a card reader installed in a machine that you might run into the problem we are having but I have doubts about that and no way to decide if its true because I cant disable that feature in my bios. What are the hardware specs of your machine?