PDA

View Full Version : Free OS emulation (Help me find free one)

TechSonic
February 23rd, 2006, 08:32 AM
I'm off to search for an alternitive to VMWare, my subscription has expired.

Any of you recommend a free alternitive?

I'm still an MSDN beta tester for another year. I want to load up XP pro for something I've been asked to do.

DrFunkenstein
February 23rd, 2006, 08:42 AM
I'm off to search for an alternitive to VMWare, my subscription has expired.

Any of you recommend a free alternitive?

I'm still an MSDN beta tester for another year. I want to load up XP pro for something I've been asked to do.
You could give qemu a try:
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

I'm not an expert, but I think trying to also get the accelerator to run would probably make sense:
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-accel.html

Hope this helps.

wmcbrine
February 23rd, 2006, 08:56 AM
If gratis and not libre will do, VMWare is now available free, as "VMWare Player". The only limitation is that you can't create new virtual machines. I assume you still have your old one, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Come to think of it, accelerated QEMU isn't libre either.

TechSonic
February 24th, 2006, 09:32 AM
If gratis and not libre will do, VMWare is now available free, as "VMWare Player". The only limitation is that you can't create new virtual machines. I assume you still have your old one, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Come to think of it, accelerated QEMU isn't libre either.

I tried to install the newest version of vmware and it wouldn't go. My old 4.1 works perfect though. VMware player doesn't install right. I think the new versions are a bit buggy.

geearf
February 24th, 2006, 12:26 PM
you also have bochs that works.

andrewsawyer
February 24th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Also, give VMware Server Beta a try. Seems pretty good. Kinda like Workstation, only free and with extras.

The license expires at the end of the beta to get everyone to upgrade to the new/non-beta version. Not sure if it'll still be free then, however if you have been using Workstation, you will find Server much easier to use than finding a completely new prog.