PDA

View Full Version : Trying to help people learn foreign languages

killa.fr0gg
December 9th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Hi there, everybody!

I have developed some games in JavaFX to help people learn to read Chinese and Japanese. I want to put these up on the web for people to play for free, but web technology is not my area of expertise. Can someone walk me through the steps necessary to get this thing playable for everyone in the browser?

Furthermore, I and my team from SJC Linguistics have started the Open Language Project for anyone out there who would like to join an open effort to reinvent interpersonal communication. There is a social group for it in these forums if you are interested in bringing language back to the world!

Thanks.

MelDJ
December 9th, 2009, 11:38 AM
launchpad? http://launchpad.net/

Ylon
December 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
You just need some page linked to reach your game, or want a WHOLE web site engine?

If just need some HTML pages (welcome+contact+playthegame+info/gameguide), just use a html editor and put somewhere on free hosters website.
You can find a lot of web editor in: Synaptic > World Wide Web (Universe) section (while this in this selection look after "editor")... they are all free, so you just need to find one that please you.

Or.....

you can find a real hoster (php+mysql services required), and upload a whole Web Engine over it( the most know is Joomla). This allow you to make webpages directly online, and allow you set up webservices as well on it (add forum, chat, social network etc).

The first opiton is the most simple, the secon one is more complex... but way moch more powerfull.

Match your needs. :popcorn:

killa.fr0gg
December 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM
You just need some page linked to reach your game, or want a WHOLE web site engine?

If just need some HTML pages (welcome+contact+playthegame+info/gameguide), just use a html editor and put somewhere on free hosters website.
You can find a lot of web editor in: Synaptic > World Wide Web (Universe) section (while this in this selection look after "editor")... they are all free, so you just need to find one that please you.

Or.....

you can find a real hoster (php+mysql services required), and upload a whole Web Engine over it( the most know is Joomla). This allow you to make webpages directly online, and allow you set up webservices as well on it (add forum, chat, social network etc).

The first opiton is the most simple, the secon one is more complex... but way moch more powerfull.

Match your needs. :popcorn:

Thank you very much for your response.

Actually, I'm quite familiar with HTML, so I have already written up the page with the necessary JavaFX script as generated by NetBeans. As I understand it, the JavaFX application itself needs to sit on a server... I really don't understand how the internet works, if I'm honest. I'm much more versed in the desktop environment (command-line junkie), and while I speak many computer languages (including some for the web), I only know how things on real live computers actually work. I'm sorry if I'm asking people to hold my hand here, but the web is still a new technology to me.

Thanks again

Ylon
December 9th, 2009, 04:07 PM
You just need to be careful on relative to absolute path. Put JavaFx application on webpage work the same way youtube video player does (wich is a simple .swf).

What do you need is .jar file somewhere (better if in your site).

BTW, I did notice that your site is on Blogger platform.. and this platform don't allow upload of .jar (javafx) media.

So, you may need use this trick:
http://eggeral.blogspot.com/2009/05/javafx-on-blogger.html

Anyway, if you have ftp access to your site, you can upload the jar file from nautilus.
put the andress ftp://www.yoursite.com or ftp://ftp.yoursite.com or ftp://yoursite.com
It should ask you for a login/password: try the ones you have.

PS: be very *careful* when manage file from ftp: just upload the file and close if you're unexperienced to it's use.

killa.fr0gg
December 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM
@Ylon:
Thank you very kindly for your replies. I am aware that my website in its current state is unable to utilize this technology. Perhaps a happy customer would care to recommend a good service capable of this kind of thing?

Also, thanks for the link. It shows you put extra effort into giving me good advice, and I very sincerely appreciate that.

koenn
December 9th, 2009, 09:53 PM
isn't it just a matter of putting something like this in your html:

<script>
javafx(
{
archive: "webstart/SimpleVideoPlayer.jar,webstart/lib/mediacomponent.jar,",
width: 700,
height: 400,
code: "simplevideoplayer.Main",

name: "appl"
}
);
</script>

just nicked it from here:http://javafx.com/samples/SimpleVideoPlayer/
look at that page source, there's some extra stuff there (tests to decide the best way to run this, etc)

Then again, I don't even know what javafx is, so I may be way off

killa.fr0gg
December 10th, 2009, 12:24 PM
isn't it just a matter of putting something like this in your html:

<script>
javafx(
{
archive: "webstart/SimpleVideoPlayer.jar,webstart/lib/mediacomponent.jar,",
width: 700,
height: 400,
code: "simplevideoplayer.Main",

name: "appl"
}
);
</script>
just nicked it from here:http://javafx.com/samples/SimpleVideoPlayer/
look at that page source, there's some extra stuff there (tests to decide the best way to run this, etc)

Then again, I don't even know what javafx is, so I may be way off

It is, but that assumes you have a place to host the .jar. My problem is I have no such place, nor am I familiar the way such a thing works. Thank you for your effort.