hi

does anyone know the code for a forum??

briancurtin
February 23rd, 2006, 06:36 AM
could you explain your question please?

amunimanghi
February 23rd, 2006, 06:45 AM
sorry about that. :-p

im trying to make a forum on my website. freewebs has a forum builder but i dont know how to get it to look like a REAL forum. ie: this forum. on freewebs, you can insert html code. so i thought "if they have a code for it, i can just put it in the input box and BAM. have my forum". i used google but all i got was how to make it. im really busy with school and work, so i rarely have time to work on it. does this help?

nsleiman
January 12th, 2007, 02:33 PM
dont know really why nobody answered you :) i use www.simpleserver.org, its kinda ok.

majesticturkey
January 12th, 2007, 05:22 PM
A forum is just a bunch of information stored in a database (usually SQL), with a web frontend (typically PHP-based). You type stuff into this box, hit submit, and the website puts it in the database. Then when you read a thread, it pulls that info back out and puts it on your browser. That's really, really simply discussed, for those who have no idea what is going on.

So you can't just put in HTML code and BANG have a forum.

This forum is based on software called "vBulletin." phpBB is another common forum software. Invision Power Board is a third. I use a very heavily modified phpBB, and it's pretty easy to set up.

But I don't know if freewebs will let you just install your own forums, they probably make you use their own software.

edit: This should be a good FYI for anyone asking the same question. I'm not completely stupid and answering a year-old question :)

Quillz
January 12th, 2007, 05:43 PM
sorry about that. :-p

im trying to make a forum on my website. freewebs has a forum builder but i dont know how to get it to look like a REAL forum. ie: this forum. on freewebs, you can insert html code. so i thought "if they have a code for it, i can just put it in the input box and BAM. have my forum". i used google but all i got was how to make it. im really busy with school and work, so i rarely have time to work on it. does this help?
This board is powered by vBulletin, which is a commercial BBS. You're probably better off using a free, open-source BBS, like phpBB or SimpleMachines.

Johnsie
January 12th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Why does this site use a commerical one? I know it's a decent forum but surely in the spirit of Ubuntu it shoudl be an open source one.