PDA

View Full Version : Kernel Panics

Marvin666
December 9th, 2009, 05:26 AM
How many of you have experienced a kernel panic under ubuntu yet?
-edit: I haven't had one so far, even in an extremely buggy wubi, running on top of an even buggier vista.

Psumi
December 9th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I may have had one, but only through a virtual machine, Vbox would crash, causing a kernel panic ONLY for it. The rest of the desktop would be fine.

FuturePilot
December 9th, 2009, 05:28 AM
In the 3½ years I've been using Ubuntu I've only had 2 kernel panics.

Simon17
December 9th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Wubi does not "run on top of" Vista.

cariboo
December 9th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I haven't seen a kernel panic since I stopped compiling my own kernels back in the 2.4 version.

user1397
December 9th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I only had one, and it was under Arch

Frak
December 9th, 2009, 07:53 AM
-edit: I haven't had one so far, even in an extremely buggy wubi, running on top of an even buggier vista.

Great, considering it doesn't run "on top of" Vista.

hoppipolla
December 9th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Under Ubuntu, never, not as far as I remember :)

I think I used to get them on Slackware but I was compiling my own kernels back then and all that jazz, so I probably just made mistakes! :)

iponeverything
December 9th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I have had lots.

But then again, I have admin'ed at least a few hundred Linux machines since '95.

SunnyRabbiera
December 9th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Just twice, however both were caused by Dreamlinux when I gave it a spin

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 9th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Never.

Marvin666
December 10th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Whatever the correct term for a wubi install is.

Simon17
December 10th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Wubi doesn't give a rat's *** what other OS you're using. All it does is loop mount the file system.

You could even completely delete Vista completely and it would still run fine as long as you left the Wubi dir, bootloader and boot.ini alone.

l-x-l
December 10th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Ummm... how can I tell when a kernel panic occurs??? (serious question)

Simon17
December 10th, 2009, 01:11 AM
You'll know.

Zoot7
December 10th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I got a few with Jaunty after a kernel patch broke my sound among other things. Upgraded to 2.6.30 and that solved that.

I also got one using a custom kernel I compiled myself under Slackware a few years back.

t0p
December 10th, 2009, 01:39 AM

It starts to sweat, fidget, its heartrate increases... (serious answer :p )

FuturePilot
December 10th, 2009, 01:40 AM

The lights on your keyboard will blink. (Capslock, numlock, scroll lock) And most likely it will freeze up at the same time.

dragos240
December 10th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Many times. I have been trying to configure my own kernel, with all the hardware on my computer, it's really hard to find the right box to tic. Genkernel works okay, but my wireless is not detected.

sandyd
December 10th, 2009, 01:41 AM
about 6-7 for karmic
but i guess i deserve it cause i used the beta as soon as it got out.
now, ive only had one....

Isengrin
December 10th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Just one, because I had an error in my custom kernel. Got fixed quicky. \o/

Never with Arch's stock kernel, BTW.

RiceMonster
December 10th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Been using Linux for 2 years and haven't had one yet.

I've also only gotten a blue screen once.

Marvin666
December 10th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Too many blue screens to count...

Frak
December 10th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Too many blue screens to count...
I sense humor on your breath. I've had a bluescreen maybe twice in eight years. I've had around ten kernel panics in the same eight years.

hoppipolla
December 10th, 2009, 04:32 AM
about 6-7 for karmic
but i guess i deserve it cause i used the beta as soon as it got out.
now, ive only had one....

Yeah maybe it's the beta thing, but that's still quite a few ._. I mean I never saw one on Jaunty or on Karmic, to be honest I don't know if I've seen one since I started running Ubuntu a couple of years ago, and I do sometimes use betas.

Do you have any very unusual drivers running in the kernel or anything that might cause it to fall over? Do you use the standard builds?

hoppipolla
December 10th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I sense humor on your breath. I've had a bluescreen maybe twice in eight years. I've had around ten kernel panics in the same eight years.

Maybe this proves everyone has different experiences, as I side with Marvin.

Weird kernel builds or weird drivers can theoretically cause problems although again it has been years and years since I have seen a real kernel panic as far as I can remember.

Chame_Wizard
December 10th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Only 1 so far: October 2007.

:guitar:

LinuxFanBoi
December 10th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I've had many, but only because I tried an experimental driver for my wifi adapter on my laptop. Got a stable driver now.

duesergirl
January 9th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I hadn't had any before, and didn't know what it was when it happened. I started searching and that's when I found this thread.

Mine happened after I had installed my new printer (HP Deskjet D1660) and printed a couple of pages to make sure it was working. Everything printed fine. I walked away for a moment to make some coffee and my boyfriend was going to get online while I did that. When he walked over to the computer he saw that everything was locked up and the Caps and Scroll Lock lights were flashing.

On some of the other threads I looked at, they said hardware changes and overheating can cause the kernel panic. I guessing it was installing the printer that did it, since it has never happened before. The only thing I've ever changed in my kernel is to add "mem=512m" to get the darn thing to boot up in the first place. But I've had to do that since I switched to Ubuntu last fall and it never panicked on it before.

If anyone else has this printer or has any tips that I should try to prevent it from locking up every time I use the printer, I would appreciate it. Sorry I don't have any other info posted about the computer; I'm not very technically minded. #-o

NCLI
January 9th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I've had quite a few, usually due to either bad hardware or a mistake on my part, though I have had a few I still don't understand to this day.

SuperSonic4
January 9th, 2010, 11:58 PM
One which was traced to a stick of poorly installed stick of RAM (which is now working)

squilookle
January 10th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I had one under Arch in a Virtual machine. Otherwise, not that I know of or can remember.

k64
January 10th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I have, personally, had 1 kernel panic in Mint, but that's about it. Oh, and the kernel panic involved upgrading "linux-image" without updating the modules. Bad move all along, now that I know how the kernel works.

magmon
January 10th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I caused one in mint by installing drivers unsupported by the kernel. Freaking developers... Why'd they give us freedom?

/sarcasm

k64
January 10th, 2010, 03:53 AM
I caused one in mint by installing drivers unsupported by the kernel. Freaking developers... Why'd they give us freedom?

/sarcasm

The reason why I got a kernel panic in Mint is because I updated the kernel image - and the image only.

Now that I read kernel build instructions out of an old book that I have, I know that the kernel image and the modules have to be updated in sync - or they will be incompatible and cause a kernel panic. ('http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8638549&postcount=33')

Redundant Username
January 10th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Note to everyone: A BSOD is a kernel panic.

magmon
January 10th, 2010, 05:05 AM
The reason why I got a kernel panic in Mint is because I updated the kernel image - and the image only.

Now that I read kernel build instructions out of an old book that I have, I know that the kernel image and the modules have to be updated in sync - or they will be incompatible and cause a kernel panic. ('http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8638549&postcount=33')

The sarcasm I was referring to was about the developers =P.

Eisenwinter
January 10th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I have never had a kernel panic in any Linux distro that I've used.

CharlesA
January 10th, 2010, 11:35 AM
On my "production" server, I haven't had any problems.

Altho, I did get dumped into a maintenance shell a couple times when I was testing a script in VirtualBox, I still haven't figured out what caused that, but it didn't happen on the live machine. *shrugs*

The Toxic Mite
January 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I haven't had any kernel panics ever.

That's all. :p

Marvin666
January 11th, 2010, 10:42 AM
My first kernel panic(s)!!!
I was attempting a dual boot with karmic, and it locked up. This force me to do a hard reboot. Karmic seems more unstable, and it looks as if it corrupted it's / partition. It gave me a kernel panic and stated unable to mount root. I tried again and got the same message. Recovery mode also gives a panic, but with different message, but to the same effect.

Vignesh S
January 11th, 2010, 11:36 AM
In my year and a bit of using Ubuntu, I've never had a kernel panic.

madnessjack
January 11th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Got a few in Jaunty Studio when trying to get the RT kernel patched for nVidia binaries but never had any problems with Karmic or Karmic Studio

Exodist
January 11th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I hate these polls!

I had to choose multiple, but I have only had 2 in the past 6 years or longer. They were due to bad ram and one video card.

Hallvor
January 11th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I`ve had several, but always because of failing hardware.