PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] White screen of death after Upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10

fuwkej
December 9th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Title says it all. System worked great with Jaunty. Upgraded to Karma (9.10) and after the splash screen & login, even the desktop loads with conky but then the entire screen goes white. I've upgraded distro's several times on this computer an never had this problem before. Attempted all the steps suggested in similiar threads, but I could not get a functional desktop. Played around with xorg.conf, and deleted it since many folks suggested it was not needed with the new versions (auto generates one).

I type <startx> on the command line in safe mode and it starts the desktop up, loads everything like a normal boot but freezes the same way. It's as if a process is killing the display and whiting it out. CTRL&ALT F1-F6 work fine even with the white screen for command line functions.

Video card is Intel Integrated Graphics (on-board graphics) and I'm using xserver-xorg-video-intel.

Any suggestions are much appreciated, as I'm at a loss for fixes at this point. Next time I get this system working I'm not upgrading until 15.10! Upgrades bring nothing but pain.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 9th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Q1. Is Ubuntu 9.10 your current installed version?

Q2. Does the file xorg.conf exist at the location /etc/X11 ?

15.10 is quite a ways away. I am sure that this issue will be resolved well before then.

jaylsi
December 9th, 2009, 03:50 AM
If you are only using on-board graphics, I think your problem is most likely in gdm configuration. (since you have tried removing /etc/X11/xorg.conf and didn't help). Were you able to login successfully with 'failsafe gnome' mode? To do that:

1) On login screen, click user and type password, but don't hit enter yet
2) Select 'failsafe gnome' on session list at the bottom of screen
3) Now click login

fuwkej
December 9th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Right, but 20 more will come up! :P

I had 9.04 installed and upgraded to 9.10. It started up fine, with the "fancy" new graphics, and then died and the screen went white. Xorg.conf did exist, I tried xorg.conf backups as well as X -configure copy as well as deleting it entirely.

I think I'm somehow still using the Jaunty kernel as it is the older numbers. I noticed when I was looking here: http://brandon-harris.com/2009/11/01/dell-studio-15-white-screen-of-death-karmic-koala-workaround

I'm going to try to figure out how to use the newer kernel..

(Ah I love "upgrading" completing wasting 6 hours of my life, when all I want is a functional computer. "Upgrades" like this should stay in beta for a little bit longer where people with actual programming knowledge can deal with the minor issues that are major to me.)

Now I can't even get to the command line, lovely.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 9th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I noticed when I was looking here: http://brandon-harris.com/2009/11/01/dell-studio-15-white-screen-of-death-karmic-koala-workaround

I'm going to try to figure out how to use the newer kernel.

Please keep us updated. As for the kernel, I would think that the latest may not be the best where a GPU and drivers are concerned.

fuwkej
December 11th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the help. I wasn't able to fix the problem (white screen, touchpad not working, and so on), but I was able to log in with gnome failsafe as jaysli suggested. That gave me enough access to back up everything and just do a fresh install. Everything worked on fresh install.. I think they should just disable the "upgrade" feature since it never works. I'll keep home on a seperate partition this time, so next time I "upgrade" I can just do a fresh install after it doesn't work.

Karmic Koala does look a little nicer.. we'll see.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 11th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Well it is good that you have your system up and running again!