PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] iso burner like imgburn or better?

mrpervie
December 9th, 2009, 02:17 AM
hello everyone im just wondering if anyone knows of any image burning software that will run on ubuntu 9.10...some thing similar to imgburn if your familiar with win apps....somthing capable of burning wii and 360 images ..i can find a few im just not sure wich ones are actually GOOD...thanks, any help is appreciated...i herd kb3 might be ok...but after readig around some people say no ..i dont know..opinions?

Marvin666
December 9th, 2009, 02:19 AM
If you can see it in the package manager, then it has to be at least half decent.

mrpervie
December 9th, 2009, 02:27 AM
actually thats good info haha!...sorry im new to ubuntu still learning my way around..im just not willing to waist a lot of DLdvds they are still kind of pricey ..ya know?....well can anyone at least verify they have burned wii isos and or 360 isos with k3b

mrpervie
December 9th, 2009, 02:54 AM
well i guess ill just attempt to install imgburn in wine...ill keep an eye out for post if anyone has any suggestions

sandyd
December 9th, 2009, 02:56 AM
nerolinux, braserio, k3b

ramjet_1953
December 9th, 2009, 03:30 AM
If you want to create your own iso's, ISO Master is quite good.

You can install it using Synaptic Package Manager, just search for isomaster.

Or just use the command:

sudo apt-get install isomaster

Regards,
Roger:D

mrpervie
December 9th, 2009, 04:04 AM
thank you both....i was just looking at iso master and k3b. here <http://allmyapps.com/ubuntu-9.10/desktop/video/disc-burning/1>..sure you guys already know about them kind of sites tho...alot of good stuff i seen....i did manage to get imgburn to run on wine...ubuntu is turning out to be A LOT easier to work with than i imagined!!..although ..id rather have a native application for burning my isos just to keep things simple and get the feel for the linux...so im going to check those out..thanks again..oh and..im sorry i just have to say it....i just found out that ...GOOGLE CHrOME IS ON LINUX WOOO!!!!!! why didnt anyone tell me huh! HUH! huh?...just kidding...im a big fan of chrome...going to try it now...see ya!!!

sgosnell
December 9th, 2009, 04:10 AM
k3b is a KDE app, brasero is the gnome equivalent. Both will work fine for burning any disks you want, either .iso or normal CD/DVDs. I use brasero because I use the gnome desktop, and don't want to have to install a ton of kde libraries just to get one program running.

Temposs
December 9th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Yeah, why aren't you just using the default burning software that comes with Ubuntu? No need to hunt around for software when it's already right there. Go to Applications->Sound & Video->Brasero Disc Burner. It works just fine.

LuisGMarine
December 9th, 2009, 04:13 AM
k3b is a KDE app, brasero is the gnome equivalent. Both will work fine for burning any disks you want, either .iso or normal CD/DVDs. I use brasero because I use the gnome desktop, and don't want to have to install a ton of kde libraries just to get one program running.

Agreed, brasero is just right for THE GNOME desktop. :popcorn:

MelDJ
December 9th, 2009, 04:14 AM
gnomebaker. available in the repos

mrpervie
December 9th, 2009, 04:14 AM
thank you!...guess i should have stated im running with gnome..i think you just saved me some hassle....but u guys can stop now..i get it....theres alot of options.haha..thanks again

jeu
December 27th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Yeah, why aren't you just using the default burning software that comes with Ubuntu? No need to hunt around for software when it's already right there. Go to Applications->Sound & Video->Brasero Disc Burner. It works just fine.

Biggest reason I use IMGBurn; Verify.

Pretty standard in most Windows based burners. In IMGBurn, one tick.

None the hailed Ubuntu application has this feature.

Temposs
December 27th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Biggest reason I use IMGBurn; Verify.

Pretty standard in most Windows based burners. In IMGBurn, one tick.

None the hailed Ubuntu application has this feature.

umm, I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

If you go to Tools->Check Integrity in Brasero, you can "Verify" any disc you'd like.

And if you go to Edit->Plugins, you can do "one tick" and Brasero will automatically check the integrity of the individual files or the entire disc(or both) once a burn is completed.

jeu
December 27th, 2009, 03:32 PM
umm, I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

If you go to Tools->Check Integrity in Brasero, you can "Verify" any disc you'd like.

And if you go to Edit->Plugins, you can do "one tick" and Brasero will automatically check the integrity of the individual files or the entire disc(or both) once a burn is completed.

Indeed you are correct, those options are there. Thanks!

Interesting that it use "checksums" to verify.

ImgBurn simply (and reliably) do a byte comparison after open/close cycle of drive.

Why would Brasero use "checksum", I'm curious?

sgosnell
December 27th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Checksum is the standard accepted way to check the integrity of a file or disk, without having to take the time to go byte by byte, which can take a very long time. It gives the same result, but much more efficiently.

Methuselah
December 27th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah, the chance of a random write error producing the same checksum as the original file is very very small indeed.
K3b is a really nice image burner as well and has a verify option too.

K3b is a KDE application but there is nothing stopping you from using it in gnome.
It will introduce the Qt library but if you are using skype and a number of other applications chances are good you already have them.

So see if you like Brasero and if you neeed something else check out K3b.
There's Nero for linux as well but who'd use that :p.

jeu
December 28th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Checksum is the standard accepted way to check the integrity of a file or disk, without having to take the time to go byte by byte, which can take a very long time. It gives the same result, but much more efficiently.

I don't really know much about this stuff so pardon the questions. In order to create the checksum, does the program not read every single byte anyway in order to create the checksum?

sgosnell
December 29th, 2009, 11:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5