PDA

View Full Version : Good email provider???

Barriehie
December 9th, 2009, 01:38 AM
So I've been using bluebottle but lately the site is very slow, folders aren't there anymore and am having login issues. Can anyone recommend a good email provider? I don't mind paying a MINIMAL fee, bluebottle is like $12/year, if the service is as advertised.

TIA,
Barrie

user1397
December 9th, 2009, 01:55 AM
So I've been using bluebottle but lately the site is very slow, folders aren't there anymore and am having login issues. Can anyone recommend a good email provider? I don't mind paying a MINIMAL fee, bluebottle is like $12/year, if the service is as advertised.

TIA,
Barrie
Are you against web-based email providers such as Gmail, Yahoo mail, etc. ?

Just wonderin.

ratcheer
December 9th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I have been using 1&1 for the past few years, with no problems at all.

Tim

undecim
December 9th, 2009, 02:00 AM
What's wrong with gMail?

Xbehave
December 9th, 2009, 02:01 AM

Just wonderin.
Google supports imap/pop/smtp
Yahoo supports pop/smtp

I've had no problems with using free googlemail, I'd give that a shot if you don't like it you've not lost anything.

lisati
December 9th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Yahoo supports pop/smtp

+1, but I've heard that depending on where you live you might have to pay.

Gmail/googlemail is good too & supports POP access.

Old Marcus
December 9th, 2009, 02:03 AM
In before "Google spies on you like an omnipresent dirty old man!" posts.

Marvin666
December 9th, 2009, 02:09 AM
You can't get pop for free on yahoo.
I've always used them, but can't say I'm pleased with their service. They keep changing their homepage, and there was a 2 week period in which I couldn't check my email because they removed the link from their page, and I still like the "classic" mail better, even though they stopped offering it. At least it isn't gmail, or hotmail, and I like my email address (it's @rocketmail.com).

tacantara
December 9th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I also use GMail and Yahoo. Both are quite good. Yahoo's interface is more like the Windows Outlook (or Evolution Mail) program, with drop-and-drag filing of messages, provided you are using a compatible browser (Firefox and Chromium work well with the service). Yahoo Mail also automatically refreshes, so you don't have to F5 the page to look for new mail. GMail's interface doesn't offer drop-and-drag and doesn't automatically refresh, but "everyone" makes gadgets, widgets, applets, etc. so you can check your mail easily without opening the webpage.

Xbehave
December 9th, 2009, 02:22 AM
I can
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=139132&stc=1&d=1260321664

I've always used them, but can't say I'm pleased with their service.
Using them over pop, I don't have any problems, while the homepage may change the email interface has only really changed once, old-style to new-style neither was as nice as gmails, but neither was terrible.

At least it isn't gmail, or hotmail, and I like my email address (it's @rocketmail.com).
What's wrong with gmail they offer a clean web interface, imap/pop/smtp client interfaces, a gears program too, their Spam filtering is next to perfect and the storage limit is pretty generous.

BuffaloX
December 9th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I use http://www.one.com.

They are awesome. :D
Never had a problem in three years!

lisati
December 9th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Don't tell yahoo! I get free pop with them, but I don't use a yahoo.com email address.

edit: I think it can depend on your location. If you try to sign up as if you're in the US you might need to pay. I have generally told the signup page that I'm in New Zealand by changing the "intl=us" in the URL to "intl=nz" and refreshing the page.

PhoHammer
December 9th, 2009, 02:52 AM
In before "Google spies on you like an omnipresent dirty old man!" posts.

lolz

Edit: I also can't believe people pay (money) for email services...

Barriehie
December 9th, 2009, 03:27 AM

Just wonderin.

No, my last experience with yahoo ended up being a spamming nightmare, same with my provider, COX, and google anything is loaded with spyware. Bluebottle has been virtually, maybe 5, spam free for 9 months. They've yet to ever respond to either of my emails regarding lapses in service and currently when I log in all of my folders are gone, except for inbox; not to terribly bad because I dl' the ones worth saving locally.

Barrie

Barriehie
December 9th, 2009, 03:28 AM
lolz

$1/month is worth my time to not have the hassle of dealing with spam...

Barrie

EnGorDiaz
December 9th, 2009, 03:29 AM
anything but google

BuffaloX
December 9th, 2009, 03:30 AM
lolz

Independence.
If I get dissatisfied with one.com, I can move to another host, without changing my mail address.
I can choose any free domain name I want, my sister has her actual name as her mail address. Of course not everybody can do that, but you can probably get pretty close.

I am never bothered with commercials.

Once I have a domain name that pleases me, I can use any name I want in front of that. This way it's easy to have good names for work, friends and family and one for online activities.

If I need a temporary mail account, (to avoid spamming), I can make one in seconds.

no spam in 3 years!
3GB available (total)
unlimited accounts.
control of the level of filtering.
forward and aliases.

Free mail accounts are often not highly regarded.
I know some that even filters some of them out completely to avoid spam.
It is usually recommended not to use free mail services for job applications.

Some simply don't trust the companies offering free mail accounts.

Barriehie
December 9th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Independence.
... muted ...
If I need a temporary mail account, (to avoid spamming), I can make one in seconds.
... muted ...

trashmail.net is good for a temp. that will last a week before it self destructs!

Barrie

Barriehie
December 9th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I've found this link (http://www.iopus.com/guides/bestpopsmtp.htm) and the one in Germany, www.gmx.com looks pretty good. It does display in english unlike the prior links indication.

Barrie

zerubbabel
December 9th, 2009, 04:01 AM
www.gmx.com is very good. I use it as a pop3/smtp service, but their webmail interface is fine also. Free, fast, and so far SPAM-free.

Marvin666
December 9th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Changed location to uk. I'll try pop when I get my new laptop.

Xbehave
December 9th, 2009, 06:04 AM
No, my last experience with yahoo ended up being a spamming nightmare, same with my provider, COX
Google is pretty good at filtering spam, it has a reputation of being better than most.

and google anything is loaded with spyware
What? If you use IMAP/POP you don't get any advertising and the TOS

Information sharing and onward transfer
* When you send email, Google includes information such as your email address and the email itself as part of that email.
* We do not sell, rent or otherwise share your personal information with any third parties except in the limited circumstances described in the Google Privacy Policy, such as when we believe we are required to do so by law.
* We provide advertisers only aggregated non-personal information such as the number of times one of their ads was clicked. [DOES NOT APPLY TO IMAP/POP]
is as good as/better than most ISP/Email providers

zerubbabel
December 10th, 2009, 07:58 PM
By the way:

smtp is mail.gmx.com

Also, your username should include "@gmx.com"

AldenIsZen
December 11th, 2009, 03:31 PM
...GMail's interface doesn't offer drop-and-drag and doesn't automatically refresh, but "everyone" makes gadgets, widgets, applets, etc. so you can check your mail easily without opening the webpage.
Gmail does offer drag and drop, at least for sections; check out the labs. It has hotkeys and other nice features such as send and archive, again in labs.

And it auto-updates.
Updates (http://http://stackoverflow.com/questions/988082/how-does-incoming-mail-notification-on-gmail-works)

sdowney717
December 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM
gmail and hotmail, i use both.
my hotmail account gets the most use. You can set filters up to deal with trash.

tacantara
December 12th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Gmail does offer drag and drop, at least for sections; check out the labs. It has hotkeys and other nice features such as send and archive, again in labs.

And it auto-updates.
Updates (http://http://stackoverflow.com/questions/988082/how-does-incoming-mail-notification-on-gmail-works)

Thanks for the tip, AldenIsZen. I realized that the functionality I was lacking was because I didn't enable Standard mode (I was running in HTML mode). A simple, yet crucial oversight :oops:

AldenIsZen
December 12th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the tip, AldenIsZen....

No prob, Bob. I read it and said, now I could have sworn that I saw one pop-in one time. ;) (Kinda weirded me out, but this was before a lot of the recent ajax and web 2.0 stuff. But still cool.) I like to get facts straight, and realize that even I get them wrong at times. :D

Like I said, the labs has grown tremendously from the last time I was in it. I found I like several new things, such as send and archive, show labels that have new mail only, etc.

I was worried as someone else said, about Google looking at data, but really, I trust them more than others and unwanted "breaches" can happen with any company in theory. We know many have. But in the end, anything over the Internet is wide open unless you use encryption, and if that is the case then you would either run your own mail server or stick with a trusted and solid well known brand.