PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Audio and Video Freezes for a few seconds every time I change the volume level

gmjs
December 9th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Hello,

I tested the latest Ubuntu Desktop edition (9.10) on my main PC and thought nothing of this problem (I'm still happily using Ubuntu 8.04) but I'm surprised I haven't seen more posts about it, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Every time I change the volume (either with the slider or the volume wheel that is part of the keyboard) when sound is playing (rhythmbox) or a video is running (totem), sound and video playback stops for 4-5 seconds. The application then will not close until sound/video playback is restored.

I've got Windows XP Home running on the same machine and audio playback is fine. From memory (I didn't use it long) the card was detected and worked well in Ubuntu 9.04 too.

I've never taken time to learn more about the Linux sound system (it never feels like anyone really understands it when I try!) but I understand there have been some big changes this time around (?PulseAudio).

My sound card is an Asus Xonar DX PCI-E and it uses the Oxygen HD Audio driver.

Any ideas greatly appreciated, although I'll probably be skipping the Karmic release.

Many thanks,

Graham

Fittersman
December 18th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I also seem to be experiencing this problem.. If you find a solution, please post it.

It's not *that* bad, but it is annoying if you ever want to change the volume.

Same sound card, Asus Xonar DX.

EDIT:

Solution found, the problem is still there if you change the volume really rapidly, but it's not near as bad. See this site:
http://heratech.net/blog/sham/asus-xonar-dx-ubuntu-better-fix