PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Karmic installation does not detect HDD

khadland
December 9th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Been running 9.10 for a little while installed within windows. Have decided to step things up and have cleared a hard drive to dedicate to Ubuntu. Its an 80gb Seagate sata.

When I try and install it detects my other 3 drives but not this one. I've tried disconnecting the other drives, swapping sata ports, formatting it and nothing makes a difference.

If I boot off the livecd or liveusb the drive appears just fine. I've searched the net and can't find any solutions.

Appreciate any ideas....

Kyle

raymondh
December 9th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Been running 9.10 for a little while installed within windows. Have decided to step things up and have cleared a hard drive to dedicate to Ubuntu. Its an 80gb Seagate sata.

When I try and install it detects my other 3 drives but not this one. I've tried disconnecting the other drives, swapping sata ports, formatting it and nothing makes a difference.

If I boot off the livecd or liveusb the drive appears just fine. I've searched the net and can't find any solutions.

Appreciate any ideas....

Kyle

Kyle,

Try :

1. Boot into the liveCD and go live session (try ubuntu ...). Access a terminal and type

sudo apt-get remove dmraid

Close terminal and proceed to install.

2. Another tip provided by presence1960 is to make sure in step 4 of the install process that the proper HD is selected in the upper right Box.

Regards and good luck.

khadland
December 9th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Thanks Raymond!

I'll give it a go this evening.

raymondh
December 9th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Thanks Raymond!

I'll give it a go this evening.

Like always, have a working/tested back-up of your files. Working on the HD and partitioning always has inherent risks.

Regards,

khadland
December 9th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Removing dmraid did the trick. Thanks heaps!

raymondh
December 10th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Removing dmraid did the trick. Thanks heaps!

You're welcome.

Happy ubuntu-ing :)

Hugolp
December 26th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Kyle,

Try :

1. Boot into the liveCD and go live session (try ubuntu ...). Access a terminal and type

Close terminal and proceed to install.

2. Another tip provided by presence1960 is to make sure in step 4 of the install process that the proper HD is selected in the upper right Box.

Regards and good luck.

Just want to say thanks. This thread and specially this answer saved me from going nuts installing my new Ubuntu. I usually dont say anything and but, seriously, thanks for taking the time of answering.

raymondh
December 26th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Just want to say thanks. This thread and specially this answer saved me from going nuts installing my new Ubuntu. I usually dont say anything and but, seriously, thanks for taking the time of answering.

You're welcome. Happy holidays :)

Skipper'
January 5th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Kyle,

Try :

sudo apt-get remove dmraidClose terminal and proceed to install.

Regards and good luck.

Hello, I have this same problem.
Only I'm triying to install the OS from a usb stick.
and it won't detect my hard drive.
80GB HD

I'm a noob at installing OS so mind explaining this where I can understand it?:KS

raymondh
January 5th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Hello, I have this same problem.
Only I'm triying to install the OS from a usb stick.
and it won't detect my hard drive.
80GB HD

I'm a noob at installing OS so mind explaining this where I can understand it?:KS

Similar to above ...

- Boot into the USB stick (that is, plug the USB then make the USB stick first to boot in BIOS ).
- Select 'TRY UBUNTU WITHOUT ANY CHANGES'. That is called a live session
- When the live session desktop loads, navigate to applications > accessories > terminal
- In the terminal, type (or copy-and-paste this command) :

- Let it do it's thing. Once done, close the terminal. In the desktop, you'll see an INSTALL icon. Click on it to instal and see if your HD is detected in step 4.

If not, post back any error message.

Skipper'
January 10th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Well I figured and did that but still won't work.