PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will Cable Modem (Times Warner/Road Runner) work out of the box with 9.10?

swarup
December 8th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I am about to get rid of Windows from my friend's computer, and install Ubuntu 9.10 for him. His online connection is via cable modem-- "Road Runner", a subsidiary of Times Warner. They provide a special software made for use in Windows, via which the computer connects to the cable modem and goes online. Of course, they provide no such software for Linux. In my experience with other hard-wire broadband connections, Ubuntu connects out-of-the box and goes online no problem, without needing additional software. Can I expect the same to be the case with the cable modem? My friend's computer is an older desktop, a Dell Dimension 2350.

vigalance
December 8th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I use roadrunner without any special software in both windows and ubuntu

RedRat
December 9th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Well try the LiveCD, you get FireFox and see if it connects when you reboot with the CD in place. A cable modem merely connects your computer to online. I don't see why it should have a problem, probably fewer problems than Windows.

swarup
December 9th, 2009, 12:09 AM
@vigalance: great news. Then I'm sure it'll be no problem. Thank you. :)

@RedRat: Perfect suggestion-- yes, this is the acid test. I'll surely try it. Thanks. :)

RabidJawaMan
December 9th, 2009, 12:26 AM
The "special software" isn't required to be able to use their service, but there isn't any harm popping in a live cd first to ensure everything will work!

Marvin666
December 9th, 2009, 02:22 AM
If you use the lan connection (you should since it's higher speed), then no drivers or software needed. If you use usb (slow) then you might need a driver.

Bartender
December 9th, 2009, 03:25 AM
I know the Comcast cable modem won't discuss the internet directly with an Ubuntu machine, but put a router in between and you're good to go...

RedRat
December 9th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I know the Comcast cable modem won't discuss the internet directly with an Ubuntu machine, but put a router in between and you're good to go...
I was not aware that Comcast supplied a cable modem. I have both internet and phone through them and they do have a commercial modem but I have not tried the RJ45 out put from it since it is located in my garage near a power source. I was wondering how I should connect it to my internal network. Glad I didn't try to just plug into it.