PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Printer All-In-One - It ALL Works Over The Wireless Network!

Psumi
December 8th, 2009, 11:37 PM
OMGBBQWTF!!!one

It all works out-of-the box!

It's an officejet 6500 Wireless! Scans, prints over the network!

It takes the 920 cartridges too!

For pete's sake, I never thought I'd see the day when a printer I buy would work WITHOUT SETTING IT UP IN WINDOWS!!!

No CD Needed, no drivers except hplip needed, prints fast, etc. It all works.

You can setup this printer from the printer itself, it allows you to enter the WEP key through the printer/etc. No need to configure much on the computer itself.

SQUEE! I'm so happy! All praise to linux (so far)! Wheee!

Techsnap
December 8th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Whats the configuration options like though, don't you need the drivers to set advanced feature such as print quality, paper type etc?

Psumi
December 8th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Whats the configuration options like though, don't you need the drivers to set advanced feature such as print quality, paper type etc?

That also works with the default drivers. I set it to grayscale 300 dpi.

With Ubuntu 9.10 at least.

SLEEPER_V
December 9th, 2009, 12:01 AM
sweet. my 6480 worked wirelessly out of the box as well

Techsnap
December 9th, 2009, 12:02 AM
HPs are usually great with Linux.

Psumi
December 9th, 2009, 12:06 AM
HPs are usually great with Linux.

Laser printers are, sadly, a different story for some of the cheap ones.

Techsnap
December 9th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Really? I've always had their Deskjet series in particular working great on Linux since about 2005/06.

blur xc
December 9th, 2009, 12:27 AM
A good hp printer is way up on my next to get list.

We have a Canon MP980 wifi printer, and the stupid software couldn't be any stupider. You NEED it install the Canon software on a windows pc, w/ the printer attached w/ a usb cable to get it on your wifi network. Only then can you yank the cord, and w/ Turbo Print (~$40 usd) will ubuntu find it and be able to use it, but not for scanning. And (get this) we changed routers so we had a new SSID and encryption key, so guess what? there was no way to make hte printer reconnect ot our network w/o painstakingly uninstalling all of the canon software on the first windows pc, and reinstall it all from scratch. How idiotic. How horribly difficult would it be for canon to have a simple screen that lets you select a wifi network to connect to, and enter the encryption key???

So yeah- congrats. I hope to join you soon.

BM

Psumi
December 9th, 2009, 12:31 AM
A good hp printer is way up on my next to get list.

We have a Canon MP980 wifi printer, and the stupid software couldn't be any stupider. You NEED it install the Canon software on a windows pc, w/ the printer attached w/ a usb cable to get it on your wifi network. Only then can you yank the cord, and w/ Turbo Print (~$40 usd) will ubuntu find it and be able to use it, but not for scanning. And (get this) we changed routers so we had a new SSID and encryption key, so guess what? there was no way to make hte printer reconnect ot our network w/o painstakingly uninstalling all of the canon software on the first windows pc, and reinstall it all from scratch. How idiotic. How horribly difficult would it be for canon to have a simple screen that lets you select a wifi network to connect to, and enter the encryption key???

So yeah- congrats. I hope to join you soon.

BM

Ah, I see. Well, this particular printer is on sale at OfficeMax for 149.99 USD, it normally is 199.99 USD. I got it on sale of course.

The person at the store said this: The USB Cord doesn't come with it. However, this one DID come with one. It may have slipped through, who knows.

Also, be wary, the CD that came with it was slid under one of the flaps, so it could have easily fell out if pushed. Make sure everything is inside it.

dmizer
December 9th, 2009, 01:51 AM
About a year ago, we got a Epson Artisan 700. Set up from the printer. Everything works via wireless. Had to do a bit of digging for the right driver, but linuxprinting.org had it.

Psumi
December 9th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Oh, yes. You need at least hplip version 3.9.4, so people in ubuntu 8.04 have to install the updated version manually (though according to hplipopensource, the new hplip may not work on 8.04.3 and 8.04.4)