PDA

View Full Version : What KDE apps do you like so much that you choose them over Gnome apps?

JohneG
December 8th, 2009, 09:54 PM
This is a question for Gnome users who generally prefer to use native gnome applications. Are there any KDE applications that you couldn't live without? Or any that you just think are plain good compared to their gnome counterparts? I have come across a few that i think are just so good that i use them. What are your ones?

SunnyRabbiera
December 8th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Well more or less K3B, although recent versions have have not been as good as older ones and brasero improving over time.

spier
December 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM
This is a question for Gnome users who generally prefer to use native gnome applications. Are there any KDE applications that you couldn't live without?

Kshowmail

There is nothing like to monitor e-mail accounts!

Tipped OuT
December 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
K3B and Amarok.

SuperSonic4
December 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Well more or less K3B, although recent versions have have not been as good as older ones and brasero improving over time.

Has ubuntu progressed to the KDE4 version of K3B yet?

When I was using openbox (on a whim) I preferred

K3B
Amarok
Digikam
Gwenview
KMess
Konsole
Shaman
Krusader
Audex
k9copy
Kolourpaint
Ktorrent
Dolphin

Needless to say I'm back on KDE now :popcorn:

slumbergod
December 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM
None.

Though I have to admit that I did use K3B for a while when I first switched to Linux a couple of years ago.

ticopelp
December 8th, 2009, 10:36 PM
K3B and Amarok.

Same here.

I tried switching to Rhythmbox with Karmic, and although it's really improved, it still isn't where I'd like it to be.

speedwell68
December 8th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I have Kolourpaint and Krita installed but I can't say they are essential.

SunnyRabbiera
December 8th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Has ubuntu progressed to the KDE4 version of K3B yet?

Yes, but the KDE4 version (as usual) is underpowered compared to the KDE3 version, same with Konquerors file browser mode, Kaffiene, and Amarok.
For most of the stuff that has not been ported to KDE4 or has a port but have that port suck (kaffeine) I use gnome apps.

BrokenKingpin
December 8th, 2009, 10:47 PM
This ^

Nevon
December 8th, 2009, 11:26 PM
K3B and VLC.

FuturePilot
December 8th, 2009, 11:33 PM
K3B, Ktorrent

K3B and VLC.
VLC is Qt and Qt != KDE

murderslastcrow
December 8th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Kompozer.

kevCast
December 8th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Debian stable has shielded me from the atrocities of KDE4, so I've been with Amarok 1.4 and K3B 1.05 for some time. Both work well. I don't use any gnome applications, though.

Tibuda
December 9th, 2009, 12:05 AM
KDE: none.

Qt: I use VLC and Skype.

XubuRoxMySox
December 9th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Only K3B. Brasero was hit-or-miss for me. And I find Exaile to be comparable to Amarok.

-Robin

lovinglinux
December 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM
ark
k3b
kate
ktorrent
digikam
dolphin
ksysguard

coutts99
December 9th, 2009, 04:56 PM
All of them ;)

gn2
December 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Just digiKam.
Used to be keen on Amarok, but have found Exaile to be a suitable replacement.
If I could find a good replacement for digiKam I would be kliberated kfrom the klutches of KDE.

Kevbert
December 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Amarok.

sonay
December 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I would choose amarok over any player any day. Gwenview is very pretty and useful with all plugins etc. Dolphin is very very nice. But I am a standart gnome-user :)

sonay
December 9th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Oh, I forgot about ktorrent with its built-in search. I don't know why k3b is better than brasero, I had problems with it whereas never with brasero.

liamnixon
December 9th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't say there are any KDE programs I couldn't live without (except KDE itself, which for me is more ballin' than Gnome). I do like K3B and Konqueror (as a file manager), though.

Ghost|BTFH
December 9th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I honestly can't think of one. None of them are worth having to slap unfriendly QT code into the Gnome environment.

Mail-notification works just fine, no need for kmail.
Brasero or Gnome Baker do what K3B does.
Transmission is fine for torrents.

I will admit however that KTorrent's built-in search feature is nice; I've just never needed more than a web browser to find the torrent I need and clicking a link to send it off to Transmission doesn't really seem that difficult to me.

Cheers,
Ghost

RPG Master
December 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I FRIGGIN' LOVE digiKam!!! :D

forrestcupp
December 9th, 2009, 06:08 PM
k3b & kdenlive