PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install second Ubuntu system without usb or optical drive

tombaugh
December 8th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what would be the easiest way to install a second Ubuntu system on an empty drive? I don't have a USB stick or optical drive. I do have another Ubuntu system, as well as Windows XP...

Thanks!

phillw
December 8th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what would be the easiest way to install a second Ubuntu system on an empty drive? I don't have a USB stick or optical drive. I do have another Ubuntu system, as well as Windows XP...

Thanks!

Does the computer have internet connection ?

Another option is to put the drive into a different computer with a cd-drive & do the install on it that way.

Phill.

Robertjm
December 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Clarify what you mean by "empty" drive. Do you mean it's not formatted? If so, about the only way I can think of is to clone the drive by sticking it into another computer that already has the O.S. installed and then once it's back in the new case go through an update of the O.S.

What boot options do you have in the bios? Or can you get an external CD-Rom and change a boot option to boot off USB? Just throwing things out since we really don't know enough about your system.

Good luck.

Robert

tombaugh
December 8th, 2009, 10:29 PM
The new drive is not formatted. I don't have an external cd drive or usb stick with me now, so that's not an option. There are three more hard drives in the box: one which has an Ubuntu system, one with an XP system, and one which is used for backups of the Ubuntu home folder. There is no wired network connection, only a PCI wireless card.

The new drive has the same size as the existing Ubuntu drive, so cloning appears to be a possibility...