PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] mouse acts erratic stuff pops up all over can't control pc.. have to shut down

MeTylerDurden
December 8th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Hi, just started having this issue with pointer moving all by itself and boxes opening all by themselves like gnome panel. I have some new panel bars at top and side I didnt put there. . and don't know if it's a virus, or I have to reinstall something or how to do some kind of a test at boot..

macklenc
December 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
This sounds like a GUI problem, if possible the easy way to correct this is to go into synaptic package manager and find the GNOME metapackage and re-install that package.

MeTylerDurden
December 8th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Reinstalled all the gnome packages in synaptic package manager one by one as there was no metapackage.. also reinstalled gnome terminal in the terminal.. mouse was still periodically going all over the place really fast making changes and opening stuff all by itself so am now in process of reinstalling everything in Synaptic package manager that has to do with mouse. hope this works.

MeTylerDurden
December 8th, 2009, 09:20 PM
now cursor is frozen.. seemed to freeze before but not on startup.. will try a reboot with my other mouse

LowSky
December 8th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Is this a laptiop pointer stick or trakpad causing all these problems. It could be hardware related.

MeTylerDurden
December 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM
My other mouse when swapped with erratic acting one works fine so have pinpointed the problem lies with the mouse itself..