PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't find the CD player drive

javierdl
December 8th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Hi all!

Waning: I'm so very new to Ubuntu (and any other Linux package for that matter) http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/blush.gif

Last night I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on an older AMD K6-2 machine (see specs at end of post), and although everything went fine, and the pc did use the CD player drive to install Ubuntu, the same CD player drive is no where in sight! I did mount the rest of the HD partitions, but I don't see the CD player around.

Any info will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance guys :smile:

JDL

Compaq Compaq PC
381 megahertz AMD K6-2
316 Megabytes Installed Memory
Windows 2000 Professional (build 2195)

darkod
December 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM
It doesn't show in Places - Computer?

javierdl
December 8th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Would that be Windows Explorer in a ******* box?
Unfortunately my installation was done in French (not that I meant to), and so I can only tell you that this application showing the files is called "Navigateur de fichiers" (Files navigator).
If that's what you meant, then the answer is "NO".

JDL

darkod
December 8th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Would that be Windows Explorer in a ******* box?
Unfortunately my installation was done in French (not that I meant to), and so I can only tell you that this application showing the files is called "Navigateur de fichiers" (Files navigator).
If that's what you meant, then the answer is "NO".

JDL

I'm quite new to ubuntu too so I'm not used to the terminology but the files navigator should show the optical drive as device in its list on the left of the window. The files and folders from the current selected folder are shown in the right, bigger space of the window, and other drives are in smaller space on the left.

javierdl
December 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Yeap! That's the same application we're talking about then.
Unfortunately it doesn't show me the optical drive :(
Had this be ******* I'd guess I need to install drivers for it. But in Linux I just don't know http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/shrug.gif

JDL

javierdl
December 9th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Mmm, I suppose this one is harder than I thought :(

Anyone? Please?

JDL

darkod
December 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Sorry, I don't have any ideas. On that machine I guess both the hdd and cd-rom are IDE. You might double check master/slave settings not to have conflict, or if using cable select try using jumpers to force the units to be master/slave as you want. Also try having them on separate IDE cables/channels.
All of this are just ideas, if there was a problem it wouldn't let you use it during install. I'm puzzled.