PDA

View Full Version : My 5 year old uses ubuntu

m.musashi
February 23rd, 2006, 04:47 AM
That's right. She hardly reads yet but she can find frozen bubble and super tux on the games menu. She just asked me to set up her own desktop (i.e. login). To be honest she plays games on windows but being 5 she has no biases. She just wants to play.

Anyway, I thought it was cool and I knew the ubuntu fans would appreciate it more than my "linux? windows? what? can I just check my email now?" wife.

Thanks ubuntu.

Master Shake
February 23rd, 2006, 04:51 AM
Heck, my 4 and 6 year olds know how to run it, and they're always getting into Planet Penguin Racer, Potato Guy, and TuxPaint.

gord
February 23rd, 2006, 04:59 AM
i use ubuntu, my brother uses windows.

my neice has seen both and said that mine was cool -_-

professor_chaos
February 23rd, 2006, 05:04 AM
good idea, start them early. Next year she will be compiling a kernel. :)

Iandefor
February 23rd, 2006, 05:21 AM
Nice :-D. BTW, I like the avatar/screen name.

m.musashi
February 23rd, 2006, 05:23 AM
Great, then she can teach me.

bored2k
February 23rd, 2006, 05:24 AM
And the next she'll get hired by NASA.

m.musashi
February 23rd, 2006, 05:25 AM
Heck, my 4 and 6 year olds know how to run it, and they're always getting into Planet Penguin Racer, Potato Guy, and TuxPaint.
Well, she was handicaped by my not discovering ubuntu until about 2 months ago. She's been using windows a lot longer but she never asked for her own windows desktop. Maybe it's ubuntu or maybe just the right time. I think it's ubuntu.

m.musashi
February 23rd, 2006, 05:29 AM
And the next she'll get hired by NASA.
Actually, she's a consultant already. She is the one who advised them to put hubble between the earth and sun and use the focused energy to pop all the corn in nebraska. It's an upcoming project.

m.musashi
February 23rd, 2006, 05:30 AM
Nice :-D. BTW, I like the avatar/screen name.
Thanks, I stole it myself.

stuporglue
February 23rd, 2006, 05:32 AM
My son's only a week old, and he can...oh wait. He can't.

He's going to grow up knowing that Windows is the not-fun OS daddy has to use for testing software and web-page compatability, and that Linux is the one with the games and fun things to do though.

Mommy currently has a Mac, but by the time he's forming memories and opinions, it'll probably be time to upgrade her computer...if Linux video editing projects can progress a bit in the next two years, that one will be Linux too.

bored2k
February 23rd, 2006, 06:21 AM
Actually, she's a consultant already. She is the one who advised them to put hubble between the earth and sun and use the focused energy to pop all the corn in nebraska. It's an upcoming project.
:shock:

amunimanghi
February 23rd, 2006, 06:33 AM
ive used linux my whole life. well since 10 but that is my whole life. me 14. i just dont get windows. my older bros and younger sister also use ubuntu.

poofyhairguy
February 23rd, 2006, 07:32 AM
Who said Linux is too hard to use?

alfonz
February 23rd, 2006, 07:58 AM
HA that is so cute, I had my 7 year old nephew take a run at it for 10min and he alreay found the "intornet" as he so calls it and all the games in the games menu, he didn't like frozen bubble that much but he had a good run at chromium heh.

stoeptegel
February 23rd, 2006, 08:13 AM
Rock on :)
Starting the learning curve in a good/proper surrounding is the best thing you can do when you want to make progress in a later state.

Leo_01
February 23rd, 2006, 12:36 PM
wow...
kids these days are smart!
they are the real next-gen linux hackers.
Rock on kids!\\:D/

steevc
February 23rd, 2006, 02:26 PM
My 4 and 7 year olds love Planet Penguin Racer. They also play a lot of Flash games. I may introduce the older one to some simple programming soon.

I still maintain an old Win98 PC so they can play some commercial Edutainment titles. I've tried and failed to get these to work with Wine. I know there are a load of educational apps on Linux, but the Windows ones do benefit from good presentation and familiar characters.

I'd like my kids to grow up using Free Software, but eventually there may be peer pressure to have whatever the current trends demand that are only available on other platforms. I will do my best to help them resist.

kanem
February 23rd, 2006, 03:01 PM
To all the parents, I'd also suggest GCompris if you haven't already got it. Lots of educational games. It has stuff for a wide range of ages, from learning the alphabet to division.

Also it's a good idea to just apt-get edubuntu-desktop to get lots of other kids programs you may not have known about. If you already have Ubuntu-desktop the only thing it will do is download more programs and some art/icons.

Leo_01
February 23rd, 2006, 03:12 PM
My 4 and 7 year olds love Planet Penguin Racer. They also play a lot of Flash games. I may introduce the older one to some simple programming soon.

I still maintain an old Win98 PC so they can play some commercial Edutainment titles. I've tried and failed to get these to work with Wine. I know there are a load of educational apps on Linux, but the Windows ones do benefit from good presentation and familiar characters.

I'd like my kids to grow up using Free Software, but eventually there may be peer pressure to have whatever the current trends demand that are only available on other platforms. I will do my best to help them resist.
What are you talking about?!
Linux is the latest trend!!!
\\:D/

Stormy Eyes
February 23rd, 2006, 03:34 PM
Nice work. I got my cat to use Linux a couple of years ago. :)

towsonu2003
February 23rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
don't worry... they'll get peer pressure on two topics (computer-related):
1. pc games (from peers)
2. MS Office (from teachers)

For #1: buy them a cool gaming console and a handful of popular games
For #2: wine / crossover / qemu / vmware (not to **** off teacher)

Perfect Storm
February 23rd, 2006, 03:41 PM
Nice work. I got my cat to use Linux a couple of years ago. :)

ROFL!!!

We want to see a picture of that ^^

m.musashi
February 23rd, 2006, 03:55 PM
Yep, I knew the ubuntu geeks would appreciate this milestone. The first thing she did when she got up this morning was tell mommy she got her own desktop. My wife had no clue what she was talking about.

Maybe we should all get pics of our kids using ubuntu and maybe even using apt-get to add new games and then make it an advertising campaign of some sort. "Ubuntu. So easy a child can use it." Or "you don't have to be 5 to use CLI". Maybe something with Stormy Eyes' cat too.

Stormy Eyes
February 23rd, 2006, 03:56 PM
Ubuntu: Human tested, Kitty approved. >^..^<

bigken
February 23rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
cool my 5 year old daughter also uses ubuntu with her own desktop and loves the games and educational suite gcompris well done ubuntu \\:D/

m.musashi
February 23rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
Can someone explain "gcompris"? One thing linux does not have is package names that make sense (at least to me). At least I'm assuming gcompris is a package. I guess I can just install it and see.

bigken
February 23rd, 2006, 04:48 PM
use synaptic

A collection of educational games for small children. It is meant to
become some sort of unified interface to integrate more educational
games. ;)

bigken
February 23rd, 2006, 04:50 PM
[quote=bigken]use synaptic

A collection of educational games for small children. It is meant to
become some sort of unified interface to integrate more educational
games. ;)

not a clue what gcompris stands for ?

mips
February 23rd, 2006, 05:07 PM
Parlez-vous français ?

Compris = Understood / I Have Understood

The 'G' in compris refers to GNU.

http://www.gcompris.net/-en-
http://www.ofset.org/gcompris/

Brunellus
February 23rd, 2006, 05:26 PM
Parlez-vous français ?

Compris = Understood / I Have Understood

The 'G' in compris refers to GNU.

http://www.gcompris.net/-en-
http://www.ofset.org/gcompris/
cute pun. g-compris. j'ai compris. h'm.

majikstreet
February 23rd, 2006, 10:08 PM
1. pc games (from peers)

For #1: buy them a cool gaming console and a handful of popular games
For #2: wine / crossover / qemu / vmware (not to **** off teacher)

hmhph. who gives a **** what the teachers tell you about... there's not a whole lot of difference between OpenOffice.org Writer, MS Word, and Abiword... I use Abiword.. One cool thing is that Abiword has the margins set at 1inch all around, so I don't have to change it for school work!

My 12 year old self uses linux. He loves it. He's been using it off and on since ~10.. He has been using it full time for hmmm.... six months? I dunno.

Brunellus... hehe... lol

Stormy Eyes
February 23rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
1. pc games (from peers)

Both issues can be solved with the judicious application of high explosives.

nemik
February 24th, 2006, 12:25 AM

then here's what you do: FORBID IT!

you tell them linux is evil, it should NEVER be loaded or tried or anything. it is dangerous...like sex.

they won't be able to resist the temptation. :)

xequence
February 24th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Liking linux will stay with them for the rest of their life ;)

trivialpackets
February 24th, 2006, 02:07 AM
My six year old son is all about Linux. They use Macs in school, and at home, he's got his own profile set up and uses it for his games and the like. If I get him hooked, it's good for linux IMO. Also of not quite the same story, I've got a coworker converted and working on another. He's not using Ubuntu, currently I guess running Linspire, and while I don't prefer the distro, I've given nothing but support as he is learning more and more, and if he doesn't want to know more, he doesn't have to, but if he does, he has options. I love the spread of linux answer any questions I can, even if it means missing my lunch to answer people's questions at work.

Gotta love the kids using linux, something about the penguin is more fun than a window..... :)

xequence
February 24th, 2006, 02:23 AM
My 12 year old brother hates ubuntu though. He says it hates him because he forgot his password to his account on it and blames it on the OS.