PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome (Linux) now available to the public in Beta!!!

altonbr
December 8th, 2009, 06:55 PM
http://www.google.com/chrome

It's free and installs in seconds
New! For Linux
(Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/openSUSE)

Please select your download package:
32 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu)
64 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu)
32 bit .rpm (For Fedora/openSUSE)
64 bit .rpm (For Fedora/openSUSE)

Comic: http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/w00t.html

LinuxFanBoi
December 8th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks

NoaHall
December 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Chromium is better anyway.

jpeddicord
December 8th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Chromium is better anyway.

They're the same browser...

NoaHall
December 8th, 2009, 07:31 PM
They're the same browser...

Not quite ;)

NormanFLinux
December 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
They call it a "beta" but it installed and ran with no problems in Kubuntu. Now Chrome runs natively in Linux!

LMP900
December 8th, 2009, 08:09 PM
They call it a "beta" but it installed and ran with no problems in Kubuntu. Now Chrome runs natively in Linux!

Yep, it seems very usable. Even the unstable pre-beta ran without issue for me (well, perhaps I didn't run it long enough to discover the issues).

Dragonbite
December 8th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Is Chrome open source, or for open source you have to continue with Chromium?

infestor
December 8th, 2009, 08:10 PM
chromium ppa updates daily with huge amount of data...which is annoying...so i switched to chrome.
(or i could have switched its update off, but hey it is me :) )

liferules
December 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Love it but I will have to wait before I make a permanent switch. The browsing experience is better than FF but the deal breaker for me has always been extensions. Chrome is almost there for me because there are literally only three extensions that I cannot live with out.

1. Lastpass -- my password manager of choice now it works with Chrome. One down.

2. Xmarks -- bookmark sync and now it works with Chrome. Two down.

3. Wisestamp -- Multiple Gmail signatures. This extension still is not available for Chrome but is in the works. When it is or a better alternative is I will make the permanent switch.

NoaHall
December 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM
chromium ppa updates daily with huge amount of data...which is annoying...so i switched to chrome.
(or i could have switched its update off, but hey it is me :) )

Huge updates? 9.8MB?

alphaniner
December 8th, 2009, 08:13 PM
chromium ppa updates daily with huge amount of data...

Ditto. I had also forgotten that Chromium lacked smooth-scrolling support, which also seems to be the case for Linux Chrome.

sdowney717
December 8th, 2009, 08:15 PM
yes, i like smooth scrolling. How can we tell them to add it as a feature?

jpeddicord
December 8th, 2009, 08:15 PM

Chromium is the open-source build. Chrome is not open-soruce, but there are no functional differences between the two. If Google makes a change to Chrome, it will show up in Chromium first.

alphaniner
December 8th, 2009, 08:17 PM
yes, i like smooth scrolling. How can we tell them to add it as a feature?

I remember when I tried Chromium I looked into it quite a bit. The one reference to smooth-scrolling I found in the development lists was rather derogatory.

Ric_NYC
December 8th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Extensions now available too.

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/

Dragonbite
December 8th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Chromium is the open-source build. Chrome is not open-soruce, but there are no functional differences between the two. If Google makes a change to Chrome, it will show up in Chromium first.

Thanks.

infestor
December 8th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Huge updates? 9.8MB?

well chromium setup was ~15 mb. updates are 65% of its size. ratios matter (for me)

StOoZ
December 8th, 2009, 08:40 PM
any idea how to import all the chromium bookmarks into the new beta one?

NormanFLinux
December 8th, 2009, 08:55 PM
It is open source. The only browsers I run under WINE are Internet Explorer and Safari. The rest have Linux versions and are true cross-platform browsers.

NormanFLinux
December 8th, 2009, 08:56 PM
It only allows you to import Firefox bookmarks.

oedipuss
December 8th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hm, some themes appear to be tinted purple :/
Tried both gtk (I use dust, so no purple there) theme, and some custom ones from the default themes gallery (such as puk-puk)and they look more purple than they should , or perhaps magenta .
Anyone else seeing this?

Chromium looks normal, btw.

P1umb3r
December 8th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Love it but I will have to wait before I make a permanent switch. The browsing experience is better than FF but the deal breaker for me has always been extensions. Chrome is almost there for me because there are literally only three extensions that I cannot live with out.

1. Lastpass -- my password manager of choice now it works with Chrome. One down.

2. Xmarks -- bookmark sync and now it works with Chrome. Two down.

3. Wisestamp -- Multiple Gmail signatures. This extension still is not available for Chrome but is in the works. When it is or a better alternative is I will make the permanent switch.

There is an Xmarks beta for Chrome, I am using it right now. :p

StOoZ
December 8th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Ok, Installed it, and removed chrmoium.
one thing I have to say:
Native linux browsers HATE FLASH!
while I could easily run HD Videos from youtube using chromium, using the beta (native linux browser), it lags as hell. :(

Dragonbite
December 8th, 2009, 09:27 PM
It is open source. The only browsers I run under WINE are Internet Explorer and Safari. The rest have Linux versions and are true cross-platform browsers.

Just because it is cross-platform and runs on Linux doesn't mean it is open source. Opera isn't and it doesn't run in Wine either.

And Open Source does not equal FOSS.

FootySr
December 9th, 2009, 12:21 AM
one thing I have to say:
while I could easily run HD Videos from youtube using chromium, using the beta (native linux browser), it lags as hell. :(

That's disappointing! I was hoping for better flash than what Firefox is providing me here. Flash is nice and fast in Midori but the lack of good bookmark manager was a deal breaker.

At any rate I'll have to install Chrome and check it out. :)

Shpongle
December 9th, 2009, 12:26 AM
im just gonna stick with chromium , that way google cant sneak in any code without us knowing , and it works fine for me so why switch. and its open source :-)

themusicalduck
December 9th, 2009, 12:33 AM
one thing I have to say:

Is chromium not native? I thought they were identical? In fact I think someone said that they are further up the thread.

julianb
December 9th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I've been using chrome-for-linux for months (i installed the developer version). It has been working just fine for the entire time.

Chrome-for-windows is more refined. but I like chrome-for-linux because it's so much less bloated than Opera/Firefox.

Tibuda
December 9th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Just because it is cross-platform and runs on Linux doesn't mean it is open source. Opera isn't and it doesn't run in Wine either.

FOSS = Free or open-source software

I think what you mean is:

Open-source does not equal Linux-native.

doorknob60
December 9th, 2009, 12:54 AM

The way I see it, it's kinda like a Firefox type deal (but not quite). Chromium is the main browser, and Chrome essentially is Chromium. If you compile Firefox, it's not called Firefox, it's called Shiretoko (depends on the version), but if you get the Mozilla binary, it's Firefox. If you get the binary compiled by Google, it's Chrome. It's essentially the same browser, just the name (and possibly a few other minor things) are different. Chromium is still maintained by Google and will remain the same browser, and will just be rebranded Chrome for official release. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

user1397
December 9th, 2009, 12:59 AM
I personally see Google's naming conventions to be kinda dumb...

they should've named their browser and their OS something different as to not confuse users...yup I know they put the letters 'OS' after the word chrome, but seriously, they could've called it something more unique.

hoppipolla
December 9th, 2009, 01:16 AM
so... I'm currently using the "google-chrome-unstable" package and I have the proper repo (the version is 4.0.249.30 )...

is that the latest version / correct repo or should I switch over to the beta package? o.O

billybowden
December 9th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Google's browsers suck I don't know what the fuss is about. Internet explorer 6 beats it hands down. It does not work in a multi user environment i.e. doesn't install in program files for windows so I can't see the Linux version being much chop.

ubudog
December 9th, 2009, 01:25 AM
This is the easiest browser to use. So fast.

jrusso2
December 9th, 2009, 01:26 AM
In a lot of ways its the best browser evah. Very fast, simple to use. Bit more of a resource hog then I like, once they get the all the extensions done it will replace firefox for me.

ubudog
December 9th, 2009, 01:26 AM
I personally see Google's naming conventions to be kinda dumb...

they should've named their browser and their OS something different as to not confuse users...yup I know they put the letters 'OS' after the word chrome, but seriously, they could've called it something more unique.

Yes, true

aktiwers
December 9th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Its actually a lot faster than FF here..

pwnst*r
December 9th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Google's browsers suck I don't know what the fuss is about. Internet explorer 6 beats it hands down. It does not work in a multi user environment i.e. doesn't install in program files for windows so I can't see the Linux version being much chop.

exaggerate much?

Mr. Picklesworth
December 9th, 2009, 01:33 AM

In this case, Chromium is Free (because it's open source; anyone can download / edit / fork the source code and distribute that stuff on their own) and it is open source software. Sounds like FOSS to me.

Granted, software may not be Free until it has been blessed by High Priest Stallman :b

5BallJuggler
December 9th, 2009, 01:40 AM
My god this is quick,

I'd not noticed that FF had got a fat ***!!!

Eclipse.
December 9th, 2009, 01:43 AM
so... I'm currently using the "google-chrome-unstable" package and I have the proper repo (the version is 4.0.249.30 )...

is that the latest version / correct repo or should I switch over to the beta package? o.O

Theres three diffrent "channels":

Unstable (dev) - More than likely has bugs but its cutting edge
Beta - Bit more stable, still contains some bugs.
Stable - There hasnt been a stable release yet.It will come some time between now and ChromeOS's release.

BlazeFire247
December 9th, 2009, 01:55 AM
If only I knew how to install this in Kubuntu. Well, it's just plain old Firefox and me.

ubudog
December 9th, 2009, 01:59 AM
If only I knew how to install this in Kubuntu. Well, it's just plain old Firefox and me.

Same as in ubuntu. Download the .deb, open it with gdebi.

werecatomega
December 9th, 2009, 02:00 AM
what are the improvements to the beta compared to the dev? i want to know so i can chose whether to switch to the beta or wait for the stable/stick with dev.

the only problem i have had with the dev is that there is no scroll bar buttons and thats not a big deal, so what are the improvements?

NormanFLinux
December 9th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Just download the deb. file and run it with Gdebi installer. You'll have it up and running on Kubuntu in a few minutes.

NormanFLinux
December 9th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Its stable. There shouldn't be a problem with it - in fact its not identified as a "beta"! Just Google Chrome. :-D

murderslastcrow
December 9th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Ever since they fixed the flash integration issues with clicking not working, I've been considering uninstalling Firefox. But there are some things it's still very useful for, and it uses my fonts in the browser's text boxes unlike Chromium/Chrome.

*contemplates* Is that a good thing, I wonder?

hoppipolla
December 9th, 2009, 02:31 AM
exaggerate much?

hehe for once me and you agree :)

Chrome is awesome.

However, I miss the great address bar of Firefox (the "awesome bar"!) and a few other small bits and pieces where Firefox seemed to allow more customizability and flexibility.

Overall though, I love Chrome :)

toupeiro
December 9th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Meh... I've taken a really hard look at chromium under the hood and the marginal increase in speed I've recorded is not worth the overhead in resource cost due to the way they've chosen to thread their application which is costing me more memory usage and higher CPU utilization to do the exact same things in firefox. Firefox is fast enough for me, I want something lean in memory usage that provides a robust browsing environment and neither of these browsers deliver that, at least on the side of being efficiently lean. 6 tabs of various website data in a web browser should never get into the 100's of megabytes of ram. its ridiculous. Not when the base package for something like chromium is less than 10MB.

I'm sure I will get flamed for saying all this, but I don't care about buzzwords, and the system tests I've done and that I've seen other people do aren't anything to get to excited about. I just think chrome/chromium is yet another buzzword. It's the new kid on the block, same as the old kid on the block...

Bumper44
December 9th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I'll stick with the developer build, I like to be on the cutting edge.

hoppipolla
December 9th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Theres three diffrent "channels":

Unstable (dev) - More than likely has bugs but its cutting edge
Beta - Bit more stable, still contains some bugs.
Stable - There hasnt been a stable release yet.It will come some time between now and ChromeOS's release.

ah awesome :)

I think I'm quite happy on unstable for now, it's actually fairly sturdy I find :)

If I have big probs I'll flick over to beta or stable when it's out! Thanks for the clarification :)

Chimmer
December 9th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Extensions now available too.

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/

Has anyone gotten any of the mouse gestures to work? That's the #1 extension I use for Firefox, mainly to go back and forward.

Right click drag to left goes back. Right click drag to right goes forward in browser history.

I tried a few of the available chrome extensions but none of them work. Using Ubuntu 9.10 here.

galotzas
December 9th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Quick but no flash????
:?

Dr Belka
December 9th, 2009, 03:07 AM

/me heartily laughs like a pirate

Confuzius
December 9th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Quick but no flash????
:?
Enable Flash on Google Chrome Beta in karmic (probably very similar to others too)
http://www.jordanconway.com/blog/enable-flash-on-google-chrome-in-ubuntu/

RATM_Owns
December 9th, 2009, 03:35 AM
I'll use the Iron version of this when it comes out (Chrome without Google's tracking "features").

djchandler
December 9th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Running the beta on 64-bit Karmic right now. Passes Acid 3 and it's fast. Still not perfect though. Looks like it can get flummoxed by heavily scripted IE 8 compatible sites. But that IE 8 junk messes with FF too (IMO).

Anybody use the "incognito" mode yet? Does that keep even Google from tracking you?

BTW, Flash works very well too. I've already watched streaming video on Hulu with it. If you have Flash installed in FF and import your settings from FF on set-up, it's good to go. Same goes for Java apps. Haven't tried Moonlight yet (that I know of).

beloved88
December 9th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Got the email from google a few hours and have been taking it for a spin. It is running pretty good, the flash performance is identical to firefox (for me this means youtube works just fine, but hulu lags a little bit, although the pop0out function improves that drastically.) The biggest 2 things for me is 2) how quick it starts up, a lot faster than ff, and 1) the amount of screen space it gives me. ff takes up a lot of the screen, even on a mini theme, because it takes up 6 lines of "stuff" (Title bar, menu bar, url+search bar, favorites bar, tabs, and status bar at bottom,) while chrome does the same with just 3 (tabs, url/search/options, and favs, with a disappearing status bubbles at the bottom) With a 10.1" widescreen LCD and fixed 1024x600, it makes a huge difference, enough to completely ditch ff except for sites that absolutely require it. And there's also a cool porsche theme that blends in with Ubuntu's New Wave pretty well. I have had a few more instances where i had to click a link a second time to get it to go than i normally have to do in ff, but it's happens in both, but i'm sure given more time non-beta releases won't have the issue. I've also had a few weird error messages that didn't seem to make sense, nor did it seem to affect performances. Otherwise, it's nice. Not willing to claim that Chrome > *, but its good.

digitalpbk
December 9th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Hurray finally chrome on linux

Install Google Chrome on linux screenshots (http://digitalpbk.com/2009/12/install-google-chrome-linux-ubuntu-910)

kaibob
December 9th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I just downloaded the beta. The number one thing I missed from Firefox was the ability to set a MINIMUM font size. I searched and found the following post, which provided a fix that works for me:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=389f306a52817110&hl=en

The linux Chrome configuration file is located in

~/.config/google-chrome/Default

BTW, I tried the zoom feature, but it doesn't stick from session to session.

treesurf
December 9th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Finally, extensions that WORK. AdThwart works great, as opposed the the AdBlock extension. Extensions for better pdf/docs handling, default mailto links to gmail, all kinds of good stuff. There's also FlashBlock and other common ones for you folks that need that stuff.

Excellent. Now they just need to get Google Gears working!

toupeiro
December 9th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Finally, extensions that WORK. AdThwart works great, as opposed the the AdBlock extension. Extensions for better pdf/docs handling, default mailto links to gmail, all kinds of good stuff. There's also FlashBlock and other common ones for you folks that need that stuff.

Excellent. Now they just need to get Google Gears working!

I've actually heard they are considering abandoning gears because much of what gears was intended for is being addressed in HTML5, so its sort of a redundant project.

beloved88
December 9th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Correction of Flash performance, youtube videos with annotations and adds are super choppy compared to ff, and the browser just feels likes it's beta, not as well developed,certain features not up. I'm gonna keep using it though.

toupeiro
December 9th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Correction of Flash performance, youtube videos with annotations and adds are super choppy compared to ff, and the browser just feels likes it's beta, not as well developed,certain features not up. I'm gonna keep using it though.

yeah.... that makes .... sense......

jpeddicord
December 9th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I've actually heard they are considering abandoning gears because much of what gears was intended for is being addressed in HTML5, so its sort of a redundant project.

Yep:

Gears overlaps with a lot of HTML5 (since many HTML5 features are derived from Gears).
Current plan is to skip Gears and go directly to HTML5 implementations within Chrome.

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=17443&can=1&q=gears%20type%3DFeature&colspec=ID%20Stars%20Pri%20Area%20Type%20Status%20 Summary%20Modified%20Owner%20Mstone%20OS#c4

treesurf
December 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Well shucks. I hope they get HTML5 sorted for gmail offline quickly. Gmail Offline is most excellent.

HomoGleek
December 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM
google-chrome seems too have sorted the few errors I got with Chromium lately, I can now click on thumbnails here and they will be enlarged fine.

Is there anyway I can add it too my source.list so it will be kept upto date?

Tibuda
December 9th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Is there anyway I can add it too my source.list so it will be kept upto date?

I think the chorme deb already adds the google repository for you.

Rave Gloves
December 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
This looks sweet! (:

Duncan J Murray
December 9th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I used the pre-beta (alpha?) version for a while alongside firefox.

I liked:

The speed it started up
The way the tabs work separately and can be moved about
The screen space

I went back to firefox though. Not completely sure why - I think I liked the searchbar, where you can type in 'ubuntu forums' and it takes you straight to the web page.

But there's a lot of wasted space on firefox - if they could trim it down a bit, I'll probably stick with firefox and be quite happy.

Duncan

Johnsie
December 9th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Chrome looks like an open source spyware program that helps Google collect even more data about people's Internet usage.

Google may appear friendly to the open source community, but thats only so they can collect information about people and get people to do their programming for free ;-)

madnessjack
December 9th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Paranoia - gotta love it

I don't care if Google could see me take a ****! They've made a good browser. Take my pron searching habits and sell them on. Just keep up the good search index and bullet fast browser.

Moan moan moan...

Johnsie
December 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM
It's not about paranoia, it's about privacy. You wouldn't tell someone you knew those things, so why would you tell some company of people you don't know?

I'm a programmer and I work for company that facilitates advertising. I know companies collect as much information as they can about the people who use the services because I get paid to do it.

abhilashm86
December 9th, 2009, 01:59 PM
what about add-ons?? when will chrome support all firefox addons? i can't live without add-ons!!

clevin
December 9th, 2009, 02:04 PM
is that window native?

anyway, good luck google, im not switching, try not to let every bit of my life getting controlled by google. Jee, feel like a even bigger brother than MS. but still, good luck.:popcorn:

pwnst*r
December 9th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Chrome looks like an open source spyware program that helps Google collect even more data about people's Internet usage.

Google may appear friendly to the open source community, but thats only so they can collect information about people and get people to do their programming for free ;-)

blah blah blah

madnessjack
December 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
You wouldn't tell someone you knew those things, so why would you tell some company of people you don't know?
Honestly I may well do. I work in internet marketing* and we vigorously collect and action data we pick up off our users. It's life. Credit cards, CCTV, bills, licenses, etc. As long as it isn't intrusive I'm not bothered.

anyway, good luck google, im not switching, try not to let every bit of my life getting controlled by google. Jee, feel like a even bigger brother than MS. but still, good luck.

Really? Google could really ever control your life?

Oh dear

*(Side note: We had our first ever booking on Chrome on Linux the other day! Couldn't believe it :) )

renkinjutsu
December 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Anyone using 64bit notice that the google-chrome beta (v 4.0.249.30) is much more capable than chromium (v 4.0.267.0)?
in chromium, changing svg's won't render properly, peacekeeper benchmark stops at javascript (Really? .. Javascript?)

google-chrome finishes the benchmarks and basically does the things that chromium can't, at the moment... but i thought google-chrome
and chromium were essentially the same project, so it maybe the way the chromium ppa bot is building chromium and packaging things.

Those who built chromium from source, themselves: Do you have anything to say about this? are there specific flags needed that the PPA is lacking?

RiceMonster
December 9th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Installed the rpm last night. I'm really liking this. Pretty sure I'm switching over from firefox for good. The extensions filled in the last gap for me :).

I really don't care what the tinfoil hat brigade has to say about it.

samjh
December 9th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Your internet service provider knows more about your browsing habits (and not just browsing, but everything that you do on the Internet) than Google ever will.

Anyone using 64bit notice that the google-chrome beta (v 4.0.249.30) is much more capable than chromium (v 4.0.267.0)?
in chromium, changing svg's won't render properly, peacekeeper benchmark stops at javascript (Really? .. Javascript?)

google-chrome finishes the benchmarks and basically does the things that chromium can't, at the moment... but i thought google-chrome
and chromium were essentially the same project, so it maybe the way the chromium ppa bot is building chromium and packaging things.I don't know about the PPA, but I build Chromium from source, and as far as I'm aware, there are no flags to make chromium "better" than what it really is.

Keep in mind that Chrome is not identical to Chromium. I haven't had a chance to try the official beta yet, so can't compare. But I believe there are steps taken to stabilise the code and smooth the rough edges for a release to go from the Chromium tree to Chrome.

clevin
December 9th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Really? Google could really ever control your life?

Oh dear

yeah, it gives me search results, it has my emails, thats pretty much all I can give google, im gradually switching over from gmail at this time. and using Bing and yahoo more often now.

yeah, search is good, email is fine, maps is okay, browser is usable, OS sucks, I don't know how thin google want to spread this thing, but its getting dangerously close to apple's harmonious system asking its users to pretty much wear a apple uniform from top to bottom. I am done with that for sure. people switch from big brother MS for a reason, right?

as the browser itself. yeah its fast for 1 second, that is not what I really care anyway, I dont close and reopen browser every minutes, I don't loading webpages every minutes neither. whats the rush?

ukripper
December 9th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I need no-script extension in chrome/chromium before i could even think about the switch. Meanwhile, i will keep using chromium daily build for normal surfing but not for online banking/shopping/login.

renkinjutsu
December 9th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Keep in mind that Chrome is not identical to Chromium. I haven't had a chance to try the official beta yet, so can't compare. But I believe there are steps taken to stabilise the code and smooth the rough edges for a release to go from the Chromium tree to Chrome.

strange.. i just downloaded chromium from here (http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-linux-64/) and everything works like a charm! I still prefer having a PPA though, and there's no plugin folder, so i have no idea how to get flash to work

98cwitr
December 9th, 2009, 06:56 PM
installed on Ubuntu 9.10 using .deb package...took 2 minutes and it rocks as usual. Flash plugins no longer half functional and everything seems to be working nicely, especially cookie handling on forums, which i had a minor problem with using Chromium.

superlgn
December 9th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I don't care if Google could see me take a ****! They've made a good browser. Take my pron searching habits and sell them on. Just keep up the good search index and bullet fast browser.

Google chief: Only miscreants worry about net privacy (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/07/schmidt_on_privacy/)

Good. Good. (http://obsidianx.deviantart.com/art/Evil-Fire-Bug-17935388)

sports fan Matt
December 9th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Is there anything like nosquint?

renkinjutsu
December 9th, 2009, 10:10 PM
installed on Ubuntu 9.10 using .deb package...took 2 minutes and it rocks as usual. Flash plugins no longer half functional and everything seems to be working nicely, especially cookie handling on forums, which i had a minor problem with using Chromium.

where is your libflashplayer.so located? Flash isn't working for me on the Chome build

Izobalax
December 10th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I love Google Chrome, I've been using Chromium for time.

However, it doesn't seem to like KDE4.3.x.

I installed it today and on Java intensive sites like Facebook or Brizzly, Chrome seems to hang mid-way through loading the pages. Other sites without Java are fine.

Yet, in GNOME, Chrome works absolutely fine.

Konqueror, with WebKit, also has the same problem.

Any thoughts as to why this would be the case?

/izo\

samjh
December 10th, 2009, 01:48 PM
where is your libflashplayer.so located? Flash isn't working for me on the Chome build

Mine is at ~/.mozilla/plugins, and Chrome seems to detect it automatically without configuring anything.

northwestuntu
December 10th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Mine is at ~/.mozilla/plugins, and Chrome seems to detect it automatically without configuring anything.

yep same for me

purgatori
December 10th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Meh. Until it has Vimperator, it's a no-go for me.

Grifulkin
December 10th, 2009, 07:54 PM
This might just be own person problem, but Chromium doesn't play very nice with Xcompmgr+openbox for somereason. It does weird things when I try to maximize and downsize it. So I went back to Firefox.

juliobahar
December 10th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I guess both Chrome and Chromium are the same browser. OR father and son at least.

madnessjack
December 10th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I guess both Chrome and Chromium are the same browser. OR father and son at least.

This has been said many times, but Chrome is Chromium with Google branding.

Here's a Debian analogy: Chromium is to Chrome like what Iceweasel is to Firefox.

julianb
December 10th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Your internet service provider knows more about your browsing habits (and not just browsing, but everything that you do on the Internet) than Google ever will.

For the most part, neither Google nor your ISP cares what kind of fun, clever, disgusting, or bizarre things you might do with your internet connection.

Google is partly a marketing and market-research company though, and they'll do what they can to make money using that model.

samjh
December 11th, 2009, 12:19 AM
This might just be own person problem, but Chromium doesn't play very nice with Xcompmgr+openbox for somereason. It does weird things when I try to maximize and downsize it. So I went back to Firefox.

It might be their custom title bar and borders. Try going to Options -> Personal Stuff -> Appearance, then select "Use system title bar and borders". See if the problem persists.

whiskeylover
December 11th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Can someone tell me how the hell do I enable middle button scrolling in Chrome?

Grifulkin
December 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM
It might be their custom title bar and borders. Try going to Options -> Personal Stuff -> Appearance, then select "Use system title bar and borders". See if the problem persists.

I have tried that I think it makes the Title bar look very weird. And doesn't work, but thank you for the suggestion.

EDIT: Nevermind I just lose the Minimize Maximize and Close buttons in the top right corner. Other than that it works like a charm.

slugicide
December 11th, 2009, 09:00 PM
When I choose the native GTK theme on Chrome it gives me a purple browser, not my system theme. Does anyone know how to get the themes? They said this was possible on their blog and posted this pic. (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7ZYqYi4xigk/Sx5-nMxTcfI/AAAAAAAAFMc/vdZ2rd3_4WU/s1600-h/cm1.png)

renkinjutsu
December 11th, 2009, 10:02 PM
it emulates my gtk theme pretty well, but the thing is, when the chrome window isn't in focus, it decides to change its color to something hideous

edit: Latest build of chromium changes the scrollbar colors according to your GTK theme!

cdwillis
December 11th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Meh... I've taken a really hard look at chromium under the hood and the marginal increase in speed I've recorded is not worth the overhead in resource cost due to the way they've chosen to thread their application which is costing me more memory usage and higher CPU utilization to do the exact same things in firefox. Firefox is fast enough for me, I want something lean in memory usage that provides a robust browsing environment and neither of these browsers deliver that, at least on the side of being efficiently lean. 6 tabs of various website data in a web browser should never get into the 100's of megabytes of ram. its ridiculous. Not when the base package for something like chromium is less than 10MB.

To each his own. I personally don't mind giving up more RAM to have the browser start up and render pages faster. I could see it being a problem on an older computer or one with less RAM, but on my netbook it's a welcome replacement for firefox.

I knew this thread was going to contain posts filled with paranoia over Google and their personal information. Good grief.

:popcorn:

kagashe
December 12th, 2009, 01:04 PM
It is a great browser and some people don't like it just because it comes from Google.

kagashe

madnessjack
December 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM
It is a great browser and some people don't like it just because it comes from Google.

Well said

Digikid
December 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM

kagashe

Because it is spyware. I will stick to Firefox thank you very much. I will not be a fool and allow some company to record my history.

Mr. Picklesworth
December 12th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Lots of people preach about how everything being open source equates to impenetrable security since open source code can be checked for malice.

If you're one of those people who also thinks Chromium is an evil attack on your security (and I won't name names): what's with the double standard here?

dmn_clown
December 12th, 2009, 05:38 PM

kagashe

Actually, I don't like it because it makes my computer look like it is mooning me. The fact that google isn't paying artists to make it look less like it is mooning me, just adds to my dislike: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/15/business/media/15illo.html?_r=3

Dragonbite
December 12th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Articles like this probably don't help with Google's Privacy reputation:

Google's Schmidt Roasted for Privacy Comments (http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20091211/tc_pcworld/googlesschmidtroastedforprivacycomments/)

Lest anything be taken out of context, here's the full quote from Schmidt, uttered in an interview with CNBC:

"If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place, but if you really need that kind of privacy, the reality is that search engines including Google do retain this information for some time, and it's important, for example that we are all subject in the United States to the Patriot Act. It is possible that that information could be made available to the authorities."

Keyper7
December 12th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Because it is spyware. I will stick to Firefox thank you very much. I will not be a fool and allow some company to record my history.

By "some company" you mean the company that donates massive amounts of money to Mozilla in exchange for having its search engine integrated into Firefox by default?

The lines where your trust begins and ends are very blurry.

Digikid
December 14th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Okay then....I also do not like Spyware companies that bribe as well.

Happy now? I could go on forever here just so that you know.

Elderlygent
December 14th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Google Chrome is fan...bloody..tastic!!!

Keyper7
December 14th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Oh, I see. Your bad feelings about Google are strong enough to call Google's donations to Mozilla a bribe.

Thus, since you "stick to Firefox", you have no problem in blindly trusting the company that is bribed, according to your own terms.

Okay, then. Whatever makes you happy. Regardless of how completely incoherent it is.

rasmus91
December 14th, 2009, 09:37 AM

your ignorance, and feeling for conspiracy theories annoys the hell out of me.

I like both chrome and firefox. I prefer firefox, because i find it best... And just like it the most.

But that doesn't Make me want to be paranoid about other browsers.

btw chrome for Linux has been available for a while by now.

Chimmer
December 14th, 2009, 12:55 PM

Here is some more fuel for your paranoia:

Your ISP is already recording everything you do on the internet, doesn't matter which browser you use!

HappinessNow
December 14th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Here is some more fuel for your paranoia:

Your ISP is already recording everything you do on the internet, doesn't matter which browser you use!Thank you for a voice of reason to dispel all the FUD.

sports fan Matt
December 15th, 2009, 09:30 PM
What is the difference between chromium and Google Chrome? Besides the PPA updates with chronium, and which do more use?

supermelon928
December 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Comic: http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/w00t.html

HAHAHAAHHAHA

I read through that whole thing thinking "man, this reminds me of xkcd, I think I'll go over and talk about it on the xkcd forums"

then I get to the bottom and it says "Inspired by xkcd". This made my day. :lolflag:

(ETA) Also, reading that comic and hearing the actual process they've gone through helped cool all the anger I'd been building up while waiting for Chrome on Linux, so thanks for posting it :)

Tibuda
December 15th, 2009, 10:12 PM
What is the difference between chromium and Google Chrome? Besides the PPA updates with chronium, and which do more use?

Very little.

As an end-user, the only diff I see is Chromium icon is blue, Google Chrome icon is multi-colored.

djchandler
December 16th, 2009, 09:00 AM

So what search engine are you using? That's what Schmidt is really talking about, not the browser. And his motives are questionable, considering the revenue stream from Google will slow down once Chrome and the OS built around it become viable and true challengers in both the OS and browser wars.

Started using Bing yet?

Take this one step further.

Anything you do (in the U.S. anyway) over the internet is probably stored away somewhere just in case the FBI or Homeland Security decides they want to investigate you. Your ISP keeps records too, not just search engines and portals.

Don't you remember the Sara Palin emails posted to Wikileaks during the 2008 U.S. election campaign? The password crack was done by David Kernell, posted on 4chan's /b/, and then records of his activity were handed over to the FBI by rapidshare.com, who at the time supposedly provided anonymous proxy internet access.

Yeah, there's some privacy for you. There is no privacy.

If I thought I could use the internet and maintain privacy, I would suspect in what lucid moments remained that I was suffering from dementia or some other form of mental impairment.

You may as well stand in the middle of your hometown's busiest street and yell out everything sent and received over your internet connection. What browser you use makes little difference. But you may still be able to keep criminals in the dark if you keep your system as secure as possible, browser choice having little if anything to do with that.

So that begs the last question. Do you consider Google to be a criminal enterprise?

supermelon928
December 16th, 2009, 06:16 PM

you are so full of fail.

sports fan Matt
December 17th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Is there any way any of the stylish addons (to darken text, etc) work with google chrome..mainly these forums and night shift or something similar. ?

supermelon928
December 17th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Is there any way any of the stylish addons (to darken text, etc) work with google chrome..mainly these forums and night shift or something similar. ?

Are you referring to the add-on themes from Firefox? As far as I know none of the add-ons for Firefox apply to Chrome.

Tibuda
December 17th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Are you referring to the add-on themes from Firefox? As far as I know none of the add-ons for Firefox apply to Chrome.

no, sox fan Matt is talking about this: http://userstyles.org/

slugicide
December 17th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Has anyone figured out how to get Chrome to use native themes? I can switch it to GTK, but it only lets me use some ugly purble color. As I mentioned earlier: they say I can use native themes and even offer this (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7ZYqYi4xigk/Sx5-nMxTcfI/AAAAAAAAFMc/vdZ2rd3_4WU/s1600-h/cm1.png) as evidence, but I don't see how.

sports fan Matt
December 17th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Daniel was right. :)

user11
December 18th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Google's browsers suck

They ALL do??!?

ubudog
December 18th, 2009, 12:37 AM
:lolflag:

KEE
February 6th, 2010, 02:34 AM
not sure if google is a good idea... i had issues with chrome with ufw and firewalls. i've denied ip address and now since i restarted 9.10, chrome has removed itself from my laptop. anyone experiencing this ?????

pwnst*r
February 6th, 2010, 02:42 AM
no.

KEE
February 6th, 2010, 02:46 AM
no.

oh, i can't keep chrome installed! its like its being removed remotely ....pretty weird. any way can I post a history of installed apps? or history of events?

VRsuper6
February 14th, 2010, 07:52 PM
so, i dont know if this has come along yet. i have to keep restarting the browser. when i type into the address bar, the drop down comes down with recent searches, relative BS, what have you. when i move my pointer over it the drop down disappears... as well as auto-complete boxes elsewhere too. like i said i have to restart the browser and they all work again, for a little while (maybe a few hours) and that gets really annoying since i usually running ~5+ tabs at any given time. anyone find a cure for this?

Nathan_M
February 15th, 2010, 11:55 PM
VRsuper6, don't know how to fix the problem, but on the new tab page, at the bottom, it says "Recently closed tabs". Click "5 tabs" or whatever, and it'll reopen them all for you.

Has anyone else noticed that the most recent update keeps crashing some pages? I keep getting the "Aw, snap" page.

VRsuper6
February 16th, 2010, 12:04 AM
yeah ive been getting pages that need to be killed a lot more often since the new update

Rayve
March 30th, 2010, 12:24 AM
I get Aw, Snap on almost *every* new tab I pull up. I can always reload it, and it usually works, but it doesn't load completely. If it's a news page and I need to scroll down, I usually have to be quick about the "Kill pages", Ctrl + R, and Scroll activities.

Pita. Coming back to Firefox for non-Flash things, I suppose, in the meantime.

KEE
March 30th, 2010, 01:59 PM
whats up with this thing anything anyway? ive been trying to uninstall it through terminal and i had to use shell permission codes so i can get rid of it. however, now firefox and pidgin are broke because something google-chrome changed in pidgin i think ,but when ever i try to open email through pidgin its hangs and never opens anything?!?! another reason why I removed it is I was getting error messages saying my emails was already signed in so i had to constantly change email passwords so i can sign in to my emails. anyone experiencing this?

MaxIBoy
March 30th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Old thread is old...

Nisal
March 30th, 2010, 05:00 PM
using chrome as default browser so far no crash

madnessjack
March 30th, 2010, 05:01 PM
using chrome as default browser so far no crash
+1

JD82
December 10th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I've been using Chrome for a few months and everything has always worked perfectly.
Today I upgraded to version 9.0.597.15dev and the mouse scroll up stopped working.
Initially I thought I had broken the mouse, then I found it to work in all programs, except in Chrome.

Searching on Google seems to be a bug already present in older versions of software, but fixes are all for Windows.

Someone else has encountered this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

PS
I think the a downgrade is not a good solution :P

madhi19
December 10th, 2010, 01:04 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/picture.php?albumid=1351&pictureid=7113

laithbsoul
December 10th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I've been using Chrome for a few months and everything has always worked perfectly.
Today I upgraded to version 9.0.597.15dev and the mouse scroll up stopped working.
Initially I thought I had broken the mouse, then I found it to work in all programs, except in Chrome.

Searching on Google seems to be a bug already present in older versions of software, but fixes are all for Windows.

Someone else has encountered this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

PS
I think the a downgrade is not a good solution :P

yes I've encountered this problem I restarted the program has worked fine since and might I suggest running the chromium daily builds it's currently at chromium 10

JD82
December 10th, 2010, 01:18 PM
yes I've encountered this problem I restarted the program has worked fine since and might I suggest running the chromium daily builds it's currently at chromium 10

Thanks, meanwhile I saw that the bug has been richly reported in the Issues Tracker: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=66071

Will be fixed in 24 hours.

ki4jgt
December 10th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Hate google chrome they've been in Beta for way too long! They link your entire browsing history to your account and they automatically assume that you're ok with it!

JD82
December 10th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Hate google chrome they've been in Beta for way too long!

Actually, there are stable releases for quite some time. Recently has been upgraded to stable also the version 8 (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Google-Chrome-8-Stable-Lands-Chrome-9-Beta-Next-Chromium-10-Already-Here-170472.shtml).

tjeremiah
December 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM
just to clarify for others:

"Google Chrome" is Google's rebranded version of the Chromium Projects open source browser "Chromium."
"Google Chrome" adds very few additions such as usage tracking, and an auto-updater system.