PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 errm i down loaded the updates yesterday

blake7
December 8th, 2009, 06:55 PM
and now my perfectly perfect battery has stoped working.
coincidence, if so is thier any way of working out what the fluff happened to my battery

i have i ibm x60s
the battery just will take no charge what so ever so, yester day i was getting 4.30hours of laptime now i get 0hour, mins or even secs.
thats odd no.....

i hope you can shed so light that you

ps it can still read the batterys id

fl_rider
December 8th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Start your system off of a live CD to see if your battery will charge then.

blake7
December 8th, 2009, 07:25 PM
cool im not at home so if that does not work any other iders

thank you

blake7
December 9th, 2009, 07:33 PM
yea i have done the live disk test and it still does not work
so i assume that ubuntu is in the clear

is their anything else i can do

is thier a battery diagnostic test or helper thing

thank you

CaptainMark
December 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM
100% foolproof way of telling, does it charge when its off, if not, its not ubuntu, i dont think it is anyway, an operating system doesnt stop electricity coming out of the power cable into the battery. New charger maybe

lotharmat
December 9th, 2009, 07:45 PM
An application *can* stop electrons getting into the battery. My other Laptop with Windows 7 on it has got a battery app from Samsung that prevents the battery charging past 80%. The physical battery tester on the back confirms that it never charges past 80%

Definitely turn off the Laptop and see if it charges then.

blake7
December 9th, 2009, 08:18 PM
dam no it does not work is thier any way of knowing for sure because the battery was fine just 2 days ago

it does seem to be a software thing

any iders

???????????????how i can maybe reboot a battery ????????????

cheersw

ps two days ago i was getting 4.5 hours battery. it must be a battery software problem

lotharmat
December 9th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Do you know anyone with the same Laptop as you? Swapping batteries may tell you either way

Is the Battery actually flat? what happens when you take out the power cord?

I've got a Fujitsu Siemens with 2 batteries - Ubuntu has the devil of a job trying to work out what I've got left juice wise!

blake7
December 9th, 2009, 08:52 PM
the batterys not flat unless it going from great battery to dead in less than 1 hour

ia thier no reboot of a battery

a
or a system test

thank you

CaptainMark
December 9th, 2009, 08:54 PM
An application *can* stop electrons getting into the battery. My other Laptop with Windows 7 on it has got a battery app from Samsung that prevents the battery charging past 80%. The physical battery tester on the back confirms that it never charges past 80%

Definitely turn off the Laptop and see if it charges then.
did not know this, learn something new everyday,

Ps. Its highly probaly your charger, the transformer can burn out on those often. When batteries die they more commonly have significantly reduced peformance rather than stopping completely, if your chargers not charging then this could explain the sudden stop. My advice try another charger if you can find one to fit

blake7
December 9th, 2009, 08:57 PM
yes thank you

but is their anything thats abit more cleaver ???/
thank you

CaptainMark
December 9th, 2009, 09:00 PM
yes thank you

but is their anything thats abit more cleaver ???/
thank you
Why over complicate it, if its something simple it doesnt need a clever answer, oh and clever has no A in it.

blake7
December 9th, 2009, 09:04 PM
because i did that all ready

and now im asking is thier something else that can be done that would test the battery
something a bit more clevdsgafdaeavereadfddsagfgsafr (did i spell that wrong???)

cheers and i hope their is something out their that can be done

the environment has anoth rubbish in it with out my battery adding to it all (if it can be saved)

CaptainMark
December 9th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Try taking it to your local college electronics department, thell have loads of stuff for testing batteries and wont cost you anything. Dont know if your in america, i think college is high school over there???

blake7
December 9th, 2009, 09:15 PM
cheers that soulds like a good ider

later

lotharmat
December 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Don't, whatever you do, get some bare wire and press each end against each battery terminal and put your tongue on the wire to test it! That is definitely not the way to go!

Well.. unless you are after a Darwin award!:popcorn:

running_rabbit07
December 9th, 2009, 09:24 PM
The most clever thing I have seen done with a dead battery was when I dropped it into a battery recycle center and bought a new one. Albeit, they cost almost as much as the lappy itself. You can always hit it with a voltmeter.

tacantara
December 9th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I ran into a problem with battery charging (or, not charging as it was) a couple of months ago. I replaced the OEM A/C adaptor with a Targus A/C adaptor that happens to be compatible with my laptop (as well as many other makes/models), and my battery started taking on a charge again. Try swapping out the A/C adaptor, if you haven't already.

blake7
December 10th, 2009, 07:29 PM
cheers

please dont stop if you have any other iders

has any one taken one apart and have a look inside????

chheeerssss

running_rabbit07
December 10th, 2009, 10:19 PM
cheers

please dont stop if you have any other iders

has any one taken one apart and have a look inside????

chheeerssss

Acid in the face may be hazardous to your health. Do not open the battery.