PDA

View Full Version : The Ubuntu Software Stack

aikiwolfie
December 8th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Apparently Canonical has plans to ditch the Gimp. Which is pretty sad news for me since it's my graphics/photo editing application of choice and has been since before I moved to Linux permanently. I would hate to see the Gimp go from the default software stack.

Are there any applications that are essential to Ubuntu?

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/12/04/new-application-stack-in-ubuntu-10-04/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WorksWithU+%28Works+With+U%29

alphaniner
December 8th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Referring to the GIMP:

Moreover, it’s one of the more unfortunately named applications of the free-software world that Ubuntu would do well to disassociate itself from.

I really hope this kind of thinking didn't factor into the decision.

Me, I'm glad I discovered the GIMP and I may not have if it weren't in the default install. But I don't think it's a bad idea to replace it with something a bit less complex.

llelectronics
December 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Its strange how fast the ubuntu guys decided to switch from gimp to f-spot for photo editing.
f-spot has no real(or good) photo editing tools implemented so far.
So the ubuntu devs are pretty confidential that the f-spot app will add those missing features(that are essential) for the next ubuntu version.

I like the Gimp also very much. But the Ubuntu devs are right that it isn't an app for the normal pc noob. Its a special software (a good one) and should be treated as such.

If you are asking about some other software essential for Ubuntu, here is a small list
Rhythmbox and Totem
Firefox
Evolution
OpenOffice.org
Terminal (a.k.a Gnome-Terminal)

phrostbyte
December 8th, 2009, 06:11 PM
It's a goal that Ubuntu fits on a CD. So they have to constantly remove things if they want to add new things.

NoaHall
December 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I know how to fix this problem!

sudo apt-get install gimp
Panic over. I thank you. I'm here all day, if you need me to calm the world again.

aikiwolfie
December 8th, 2009, 06:32 PM
It's a goal that Ubuntu fits on a CD. So they have to constantly remove things if they want to add new things.

The why not remove all the pants games that never ever got above 1 or 2 stars in the old Add/Remove popularity ratings? In fact why not remove all the games from the CD. They aren't essential. They could also ditch all the parts of gnome that aren't installed by default. Like Gnomes own office suit. Since Firefox is the default there's also no need to duplicate that function with Galeon. I also wish they'd ditch Evolution. I don't use it. Thunderbird, in my opinion, is much better.

Canonical could trim a lot from the CD without touching important applications like the Gimp. The Gimp is important not just because it's popular. But because it's an excellent example of open source software designed for desktop users. It's also a cross-platform application. Popularising the Gimp makes it that bit easier for people to move from Windows or the Mac to Ubuntu.

The Gimp is also highly customisable. If it's really too hard for people to get to grips with. Perhaps Canonical should write up some scripts to help people do the common tasks they do with photos rather than just ditch it.

speedwell68
December 8th, 2009, 06:57 PM

Panic over. I thank you. I'm here all day, if you need me to calm the world again.

QFT.

I'd rather see more OS functionality on the CD than the GIMP. If anyone wants to add it after the initial install it is very easy to do.

cariboo
December 8th, 2009, 07:21 PM
The plans are to make Gimp a featured application in The Software Center, so you don't even have to use the command line to install it.

As far as removing apps from the Live CD, remember the it is setup for new users, we experienced users customize things to the way we like them, A new user has no idea what they need, so as many apps as possible are included so they don't have to go looking on random web sites for the things they need. The Gimp is one of those things, like photoshop, that very few of us use day to day, and we can install it if needed.

RiceMonster
December 8th, 2009, 07:28 PM

You mean I have to install software after I installed my operating system!? This is an outrage! Why can't they include exactly what I want in the default install!?

speedwell68
December 8th, 2009, 07:31 PM
You mean I have to install software after I installed my operating system!? This is an outrage! Why can't they include exactly what I want in the default install!?

I know it is disgraceful isn't it. I am considering asking for a refund.

NoaHall
December 8th, 2009, 07:32 PM

It's the last straw! I'm going back to Windows! At least they have Paint!

flukeairwalker
December 8th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Something must be said about Paint remaining popular and relatively unchanged since Win95 (AFAIK) and still be one of the most popular and functional Windows programs in existence.

I wish Linux had a program similar to Paint. Is there a way to install it through Wine?

NoaHall
December 8th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Something must be said about Paint remaining popular and relatively unchanged since Win95 (AFAIK) and still be one of the most popular and functional Windows programs in existence.

I wish Linux had a program similar to Paint. Is there a way to install it through Wine?

Urm....

Simon17
December 8th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Paint.net is much less bloated than GIMP, is easier to use and still has all of the functionality that 95% of people need.

However, it's written in .NET, which makes it completely worthless and unusable for a person with any sense of decency.

whiskeylover
December 8th, 2009, 09:04 PM
However, it's written in .NET, which makes it completely worthless and unusable for a person with any sense of decency.

*sigh*

phrostbyte
December 8th, 2009, 09:23 PM

Yes. GNU Paint (apt:gpaint).

If you want to run MS Paint on Wine:

Download Paint here:
download.microsoft.com/download/winntwks40/paint/1/nt4/en-us/paintnt.exe

And double click it.
:)

jwbrase
December 8th, 2009, 09:24 PM

Yeah. Paint is one of the only comes-with-Windows programs that I actually miss.

NoaHall
December 8th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Yeah. Paint is one of the only comes-with-Windows programs that I actually miss.

I was being sarcastic...

RTrev
December 8th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I think you could make a good case for making much of the software which is now included by default optional and chosen during install.

I like the Google tools, so all I really need is a web browser.. and it would be nice if I could choose the one I wanted.

I don't network with Windows machines, so have no need for Samba. I don't need Bluetooth, and I don't even own a printer. I don't require accessibility software, and I don't play computer games.

Aside from the browser, for which I currently choose Google Chrome, I need a text editor and an FTP client for working on web pages. A notifier for updates and for new Gmail messages would be nice. The ability to play back DVDs and CDs, and to create voice audio files to converse with a blind friend pretty much rounds out my list. Oh, I use VirtualBox to run an XP install for the sole purpose of updating my Garmin GPS.

Most of the work in doing a clean install is in waiting for all the junk I don't want to be downloaded so that I can then install it -- so that I can then tediously remove it. <g>

I'd love to see an installer which offered a choice of "Default Applications" versus "Choose what you want later". I certainly have no need for 99% of the stuff, and the new "Software Center" should make it easy for people to experiment and find the applications they like.

But I'm weird, I guess. :D

sudoer541
December 9th, 2009, 03:59 AM

simply L0L @ that I mean OMG!!! seriously L0L!!!!