PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] The creation of swap space in partition #5 of SCSI2(0,0,0)(sda) failed

sseng_123
December 8th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I received an error message on my screen during installation. The error was as follows

The creation of swap space in partition #5 of SCSI2(0,0,0)(sda) failed.

Please help me rectify this

raymondh
December 8th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I received an error message on my screen during installation. The error was as follows

The creation of swap space in partition #5 of SCSI2(0,0,0)(sda) failed.

Please help me rectify this

Can you tell us how many partitions you have existing? If in Ubuntu, access gparted (system > admin > partition editor) and take a screenshot (either use prntscrn key or access the camera thru applications > accessories) ... and attach/upload in your next post.

How important is swap for you? Do you hibernate your system as a standard practice? How much RAM do you have? I ask because depending on your habits, you may not need swap at all. Even if you do, you can create a swap file also (instead of a swap partition). Google/search swap file for reference.

Let's see how many partitions you have? Your HD may be full already. Or, your install may have borked.

Regards,

sseng_123
December 9th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Hullo,

Please look at the attached screen print.
I dont need the swap that much.
The laptop im using is a brand new Toshiba Satellite L500- 1EN

raymondh
December 10th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Hullo,

Please look at the attached screen print.
I dont need the swap that much.
The laptop im using is a brand new Toshiba Satellite L500- 1EN

sseng ... you do have swap (5.3GB) which you also wrapped around an extended partition (no problems there).

Regards,

sseng_123
December 11th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Hullo,

Raymond.

I didnt get you. You mean I shouldnt do the swap at all

raymondh
December 11th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Hullo,

Raymond.

I didnt get you. You mean I shouldnt do the swap at all

Sseng,

Sorry for the confusion. You're thread title suggested that you did not have swap. You do have swap as shown by your attachment.

Regards,

sseng_123
December 12th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Hi

My installation still stalls at 15% with an error that reads as follows:
Input/Output error during read on /dev/sda.

Could this be because my CD drive is SATA and not IDE.

Or could be it that the permissions on /dev/sda dont allow read operations.
Im still figuring out the solution to this problem.

Bartender
December 12th, 2009, 02:36 PM
sseng -
I have a question for you. I've looked at dozens of GParted screenshots and home-made pictures such as yours but don't recall ever seeing the Linux OS mounted as "/target". Can you explain that? How come it's not "/"?

I have no idea what target means...:(

Also, that description of the hard drive as SCSI2(0,0,0)(sda) seems odd. Maybe the two are related?

presence1960
December 12th, 2009, 03:17 PM
sseng -
I have a question for you. I've looked at dozens of GParted screenshots and home-made pictures such as yours but don't recall ever seeing the Linux OS mounted as "/target". Can you explain that? How come it's not "/"?

I have no idea what target means...:(

Also, that description of the hard drive as SCSI2(0,0,0)(sda) seems odd. Maybe the two are related?

+1

That is the first thing I noticed.