PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Input/output error during read on /dev/sda

sseng_123
December 8th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Hullo,

I totally new to Ubuntu ie desktop Linux. I wanted a change from Windows.
However I have met the following challenges.

- When installing Ubuntu 9.10, I saw the an error when the installation process was detecting file systems. The error is Input/Output error during read on /dev/sda.

If any buddy has solved a challenge like this, I will be glad to wait for his/her assistance.

HarshReality
January 12th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Guestimation would be bad drive. I had this on a Dell mini and it was due to a defective SSD

smithers3628
February 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I am having the same issue and i am running an Acer Extensa 4420 laptop. Just ran Killdisk and got rid of everything, yet the install still will not finish. I get to about 15% of files transferred and I get the same eror message.

I am able to instal Windows XP and Vista with no problems what so ever, but ubuntu will not allow it.

Does anyone have a fix for this problem? i know the hardware is plugged in and working.

Dimensions: 13.2 x 9.8 x 1.62 inches
Weight: 5.4 lbs
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-57
Memory: 2 GB DDR2 RAM 667 MHz
Optical Drive: 8X DVD ± RW / CD-RW DL
Display: 14.1 inch WXGA TFT-LCD CrystalBrite Display, 1280 x 800 pixels
Hard drive: Hitachi 160 GB SATA HDD, 5400 RPM
Graphics: ATI Radeon Xpress X1250 graphics with 256 MB VRAM
Speakers: 3D Sonic stereo speakers with HD audio support
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Wireless: Acer InviLink wireless LAN (802.11b/g)
Ports: 4 USB 2.0 ports, VGA out, S-Video out, Ethernet Port, Microphone and Headphone jack, Modem, 5 in 1 card reader, Kensington Lock slot, Optical Drive

any help would be much appreciated.

dabl
February 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM
That's probably a bad burn of the CD. Burn it at your slowest speed, DAO mode.

smithers3628
February 4th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Nah i have 2 copies of 9.10 that both work as well as an older version which i have tried to install, all of which failed.

To prove they work, my friend installed ubuntu 9.10 with the same disc last night, and i am typing on another computer freshly formatted with the same disc.

alexeix
February 17th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I have the same problem when attempting to install 9.10.

Whether I choose to automatically or manually set up the partitions, the following error is reported:

"Input/output error during read on /dev/sda"

Then..."failed to create a swap space...the creation of swap space in partition 5 of SCSI2 (0,0,0) (sda) failed".

As per the previous poster, I can install Windows on the same HDD without any issues.

Also, my Ubuntu install CD was burnt at slow speed.

The reason I'm doing a fresh install, is that I upgraded from Jaunty to Koala previously and have had many problems with hanging, crashing, etc.

I also had some issues with Jaunty and ran a diagnostic tool from my hard disk manufacturer (Samsung), which said the disk was fine, but I got it swapped out for a new one regardless.
However, I still had issues with Jaunty though, so I wonder if there may be a problem with some hard drives???

alexeix
February 17th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Okay, on the 5th or 6th try, the install worked.

I really don't want to struggle like this before even running it, so I'll just see how it works and hope I don't have any further issues.

It <may> be an over-heating problem, since I'm using a Shuttle SFF PC and on this last attempt, I left the PC off for a while, then removed the case cover when doing the install.