PDA

View Full Version : Why cant we have 'Ubuntu Collectors Edition'?

jeyaganesh
December 8th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Nowadays, all the video games and dvd box sets are come as 'collectors edition' and with some figurines.

Likewise, Why cant we have 'Ubuntu Collectors Edition'?

Canonical can sell Ubuntu DVDs in special tinned box with embossed icon on it or in harddrive/DVD drive like boxes. Or even netbook and desktop cpu like boxes.

What do you think about this idea?

Will you buy such a collectors edition, if they sell?:D

Странник
December 8th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I would buy that, however shipping is expensive :(

Psumi
December 8th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I would buy that, however shipping is expensive :(

Especially when the discs have to go over the ocean.

alphaniner
December 8th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Canonical can sell Ubuntu DVDs in special tinned box with embossed icon on it or in harddrive/DVD drive like boxes. Or even netbook and desktop cpu like boxes.

Or maybe a Shuttleworth bobblehead or pewter figurine?

whiskeylover
December 8th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I have always found collecting figurines to be weird. Grown men don't/shouldn't play with dolls.

alphaniner
December 8th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I have always found collecting figurines to be weird. Grown men don't/shouldn't play with dolls.

I don't see the similarity to dolls. In this context my comment was in jest, but I still have my pewter Ordinator figurine from the Morrowind CE atop my monitor.

MaxIBoy
December 8th, 2009, 05:09 PM
There would be 12 different possible figurines, one for each version's mascot (a warthog, eft, heron, etc.) Collect them all!

wulfgang
December 8th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Or comes with an ubuntu installation disc with shuttleworth's autograph.

Psumi
December 8th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Or comes with an ubuntu installation disc with shuttleworth's autograph.

Or an autograph on the box like Windows 7 Signature Edition.

SLEEPER_V
December 8th, 2009, 05:42 PM
too much overhead. You have to get all of that made, get it shipped to you, find a place to store it, package/box it, ship it and still have to pay several people to man the operation. Silly when all they have to do now is burn a few hundred cds and dvds and drop them in the mail/ups.

alphaniner
December 8th, 2009, 05:44 PM
too much overhead...

Way to ruin the fun with your sound economic analysis. And people wonder why it's called the dismal science. :p

Maheriano
December 8th, 2009, 05:44 PM
....because nobody would buy it? I wouldn't.