PDA

View Full Version : Need your help

PartisanEntity
December 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Hello all,

As some of you may know, I am a student of web design and development. Currently we are looking at e-commerce and SEO (search engine optimisation).

I have installed a dummy webshop on my server and I need to generate usage statistics. I will be using Google Analytics to monitor traffic and trends on my dummy webshop.

If you have some time, please go to the webshop (link at bottom of post), click around on the shop and perhaps if you like also create an account and pretend to buy something.

Please note:

a) This is a dummy webshop, all content and prices are fictional

b) You will not be billed for anything you pretend to purchase, neither will it be delievered

c) The dummy webshop and all data in the database will be deleted once I am done with this module (2-3 weeks).

I will bump this thread from time to time.

ububtoforums.org management has given me the go ahead to post this as it is purely educational and not economic in any way, shape or form :)

Here is the link (http://alhaffar.com/ecom/catalog/).

Thank you for your help! :)

If you come across any errors please let me know, this is a standard and default installation of OSCommerce v2.2

pwnst*r
December 8th, 2009, 01:20 PM
so i put There's Something About Mary and the Matrox G400 in my cart. lol @ the g400, going old school!

nothingspecial
December 8th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Worked for me.

Very simple, My wife could use this.

nowin4me
December 8th, 2009, 03:57 PM
BUG: Enlarge image doesn't make the image any larger.

PartisanEntity
December 8th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks so much for the support so far everyone, it is really appreciated and much more than I could hope to expect!

Hopefully we can keep it up for a couple days so I can get some nice statistics.

Again thank you!

paultag
December 8th, 2009, 10:56 PM
fake real traffic, HERE YOU COME :)

Hacking away :)

whiskeylover
December 8th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Hehe... stupid websense.

dragos240
December 8th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Hehe... stupid websense.

That's why proxies rock.

koenn
December 8th, 2009, 11:33 PM
while i was creating an account, I changed currency to euro, and consequently all the info i put in disappeared (and the 'back' button didn't bring it back). I think that's a bug.
Since I hate filling out forms (especially twice), that could be enough for me to give up on your shop.

I changed to ordered quantity of an item but missed the 'update" button, and vontinued with "continue". As a result, the order showed quantity=1, so I had to go back and change it.
I didn't see the [edit] marks at first, so I used the browser 'back' button.
If you have any impact on the design and layout of the UI, I'd look in to that, webdesign-wise.
The good thing is that while going back and updating the numbers, all other info was retained so I could just forward to checkout and pay.

And the Microsoft mouse is way overpriced.

Other than that, no comments.

koenn
December 8th, 2009, 11:35 PM
... going old school!
"The HP LaserJet 1100xi supports key operating systems including Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, NT 4.0, OS/2 and DOS. Network compatibility available via the optional HP JetDirect External Print Servers"

PartisanEntity
December 9th, 2009, 08:10 PM
while i was creating an account, I changed currency to euro, and consequently all the info i put in disappeared (and the 'back' button didn't bring it back). I think that's a bug.
Since I hate filling out forms (especially twice), that could be enough for me to give up on your shop.

I changed to ordered quantity of an item but missed the 'update" button, and vontinued with "continue". As a result, the order showed quantity=1, so I had to go back and change it.
I didn't see the [edit] marks at first, so I used the browser 'back' button.
If you have any impact on the design and layout of the UI, I'd look in to that, webdesign-wise.
The good thing is that while going back and updating the numbers, all other info was retained so I could just forward to checkout and pay.

And the Microsoft mouse is way overpriced.

Other than that, no comments.

Thanks for the feedback.

OSCommerce is a widely used, free and open source shop system. However it is quite old, and the developers are working on bringing out version 3 which will be up to date with modern methods and processes.

You will notice that it is quite old when you see that the whole thing was still made with table designs in html, pretty old school.

The reason why it is heavily used is that it's very safe and secure, the developers put more focus on closing security holes than on esthetics.

Concerning the products, these are there by default when you install the system, they are just examples with example prices. I didn't enter them :)

However for our course we are mainly looking at search engine optimisation at the moment and server side optimisation.

koenn
December 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM
However for our course we are mainly looking at search engine optimisation at the moment and server side optimisation.

So where does this thread enter the picture ? How does people going to your site because you asked them to, teach you about SEO ?
(other than the fake SEO trick of link spamming to lead spiders to your side and, perhaps, improve your page rank a bit :) )

wfc2009
December 9th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I think that OS Commerce is one of the best free ecommerce solutions out there. I think your site needs some tweaking in the web design (http://www.webfullcircle.com) portion but other than that, it should be a great project.

PartisanEntity
December 10th, 2009, 03:47 PM
So where does this thread enter the picture ? How does people going to your site because you asked them to, teach you about SEO ?
(other than the fake SEO trick of link spamming to lead spiders to your side and, perhaps, improve your page rank a bit :) )

To be honest I have no idea at this point, we were asked to install OSCommerce on our servers and to ask friends to click around on the site and generate some statistics.

The course is entails php and mysql optimisation, SEO and e-commerce.

So I thought it would be nice to ask people from the Ubuntu community to help me generate some usage statistics so that we/I could have a starting point for the php and mysql optimisation part.