PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

..::| Dave89 |::..
December 8th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I've been using Ubuntu 9.04 on and off over the past few months, and was thinking of switching over to Kubuntu 9.10, since I used KDE years ago in Xandros, and really liked it. What are the advantages (besides more eye candy) of KDE over GNOME? I seem to remember it being more customizable than GNOME.

kellemes
December 8th, 2009, 11:29 AM
For me KDE is more customizable indeed, it gives me (the user) all the power. Also, when setup right, it's faster and more responsive then Gnome.

It doesn't matter what *buntu you install on your system, you can install KDE and Gnome side by side and choose what to use at login.

saltmore
December 8th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Kubuntu is not on par atm. It has some nice features but not quite there.

Gen2ly
December 8th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Having more options and since KDE 4 was done alot from the ground up, it's gonna have more bugs then the default gnome you are used to. The new Kubuntu has come along what from previous versions, but is you want kde, you should probably think about another distro that specializes in it, at least until the next release if good progress is made.

MelDJ
December 8th, 2009, 12:02 PM
see:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_Window_System_desktop_environments

December 8th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I download Kubuntu 9.10, I like what I see so far, but I have a couple questions: I can't seem to get VirtualBox Guest Additions installed, in Ubuntu 9.04 this was easy. Also the Firfox Installer I found in Applications will ask me if I want to install when I click it but when I try to install, it goes back to the desktop.

lovinglinux
December 8th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Kubuntu is not on par atm. It has some nice features but not quite there.

Perhaps not for you, but IMO is better than Gnome. I have used Gnome for more than a year and switched to KDE since Karmic Beta, because of the upcoming Gnome-Shell. I couldn't be happier with my DE.

Having more options and since KDE 4 was done alot from the ground up, it's gonna have more bugs then the default gnome you are used to. The new Kubuntu has come along what from previous versions, but is you want kde, you should probably think about another distro that specializes in it, at least until the next release if good progress is made.

I'm not actually using Kubuntu, but kde-minimal installed over a command-line only Ubuntu. It works great and is beautiful. I don't see any reason not use the Ubuntu implementation of KDE. There are some bugs indeed, but most of them are not exclusive to KDE. The ones that are KDE related are not deal brakers IMO.

I download Kubuntu 9.10, I like what I see so far, but I have a couple questions: I can't seem to get VirtualBox Guest Additions installed, in Ubuntu 9.04 this was easy. Also the Firfox Installer I found in Applications will ask me if I want to install when I click it but when I try to install, it goes back to the desktop.

Install Firefox from command-line.

sudo apt-get install firefox

December 8th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Tried that, got this: http://yfrog.com/3ukubuntu910terminalp

MelDJ
December 8th, 2009, 02:33 PM
there are broken packages. to repair in terminal type sudo apt-get -f

December 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I got something about no such command. I ended up downloading firefox from the mozilla website.

I've been playing around with Kubuntu a bit more, While I like it, it seems somewhat more complicated to use than the regular Ubuntu version. I like the simplicity of GNOME, and thus will probably stick to that instead.