PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with 9.04 to 9.10 upgrade

abhatt
December 8th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I had Ubuntu 9.04 (w/ Gnome) installed on my laptop. This evening, I decided to upgrade the distribution to 9.10 using the "Update Manager". I did not have all the latest packages (and in particular, not the latest kernel) when I started the upgrade. Everything was going fine with the upgrade, until the very end, when it said that there was an error with the installation of the linux-restricted-module-* package. I didn't quite know what to do. I hit "OK", finished the update, and then the system restarted.

After the restart, there was the shiny new startup screen, but my mouse wasn't working. Also, no sound. After I logged in, and went to the Synaptic package manager, I saw there was an error. It wanted to remove the linux-restricted-modules-2.6.28-15-generic package but could not. One of the error messages was: "FATAL: Could not open '/boot/System.map-2.6.28-15-generic': No such file or directory". Using the advice from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=831658 , I managed to address this problem, and the "sudo dpkg --purge linux-restricted-modules-2.6.28-15-generic" command finished successfully.

After this, I restarted my system and, as expected, the mouse and sound were still not working. Running 'uname -r' gives "2.6.28-16-generic". So, I now went ahead with the command "sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-$(uname -r)". Now, I get the following error:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package linux-restricted-modules-2.6.28-16-generic is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package linux-restricted-modules-2.6.28-16-generic has no installation candidate

I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks in advance! If it makes any difference, I'm on a 64-bit machine.

zkriesse
December 8th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hmmm it SOUNDS like your Packages or Repositories are screwed up...have to fix that won't we? :)

abhatt
December 8th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Hmmm it SOUNDS like your Packages or Repositories are screwed up...have to fix that won't we? :)

Yes, we would :) But how do I go about reinstalling the restricted modules package?

zkriesse
December 9th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Not sure...research this I shall.

abhatt
December 9th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Not sure...research this I shall.

Thanks! Any help will be really appreciated.