PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Making User and Groups from old system available on new

Ralph L
December 8th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I have used Ubuntu for some time but I have only a limited understanding. So bear with me.

I was running Jaunty and I am moving to Karmic. I have a number of users and groups defined on Jaunty and I would like to move them to Karmic without having to retype them and correct all the mistakes I would make.

I have several OS disk partitions and a Shared_Data partition on which I keep all my files. When I move to a new OS, I don't have to do anything to the files. I just define a new partition for the OS and load it into that partition. That way I still have my old OS in case the new one doesn't work right.

The ideal solution would be to move all the Users and Groups associated files to the Shared_Data partition and install, in place of the original files, symbolic links. These links would point to the files now on the Shared_Data partition. Does anybody know if this would work, and if so, what files I should move?

Another, but less satisfactory solution would be to copy the files from the Jaunty system to the Karmic system, but again I need to know what files.

Are there any other solutions?

Thanks

Ralph