PDA

View Full Version : CLEAR WiMAX

Norami
December 8th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Does anyone here have CLEAR WiMAX? I was thinking of getting the Home & Mobile bundle since my ISP now is Charter, and they have got to be the worst I've ever seen.

I was just wondering if anyone here has CLEAR, and had a couple questions.

1. How is it? Fast, bearable, slow?
2. Are you using it with Ubuntu?

I ask the second question because their site says the equipment is "compatible" with Windows and Mac only. I just want to make sure it'll work with both Ubuntu and Xubuntu before I go with them.

SunnyRabbiera
December 8th, 2009, 07:17 AM
From a search it looks like their USB modem does not work with linux.
However if they have a LAN connection it will work probably.

LinuxFanBoi
December 8th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Does anyone here have CLEAR WiMAX? I was thinking of getting the Home & Mobile bundle since my ISP now is Charter, and they have got to be the worst I've ever seen.

I was just wondering if anyone here has CLEAR, and had a couple questions.

1. How is it? Fast, bearable, slow?
2. Are you using it with Ubuntu?

I ask the second question because their site says the equipment is "compatible" with Windows and Mac only. I just want to make sure it'll work with both Ubuntu and Xubuntu before I go with them.

The company I work for allowed Clear to setup a display with a sales rep in our staff dining room. According to the rep, you get 10 days to try it, if you cant make it work, or you're just not happy you can cancel it and return the hardware NQA.

Beware, I saw some of the plans in the handout that I grabbed at work talking about data caps and charges for going over 2gb d/l per day, and $10 per GB over. I would'a been screwed this weekend as many times as I bricked my laptop getting the wifi up and running.

Norami
December 8th, 2009, 07:21 AM
From a search it looks like their USB modem does not work with linux.
However if they have a LAN connection it will work probably.

Yeah, I figured that the USB mobile modem wouldn't work. I guess if I need a Mac or Windows machine to set-up the internet initially, it wouldn't be too hard to get the home modem working. I just need the home modem to go through a wireless router anyways.

Companies these days need to start rolling out Open Source tools for their equipment!

Beware, I saw some of the plans in the handout that I grabbed at work talking about data caps and charges for going over 2gb d/l per day, and $10 per GB over. I would'a been screwed this weekend as many times as I bricked my laptop getting the wifi up and running.

They have plans on their site that have unlimited usage without overage charges. $10 per GB over is ridiculous!

SunnyRabbiera
December 8th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Well you can ask them if you can set up their service with equipment you buy on your own, like linksys hardware or something.
Most linksys routers work with linux.

Norami
December 8th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Yeah, I plan on asking them a lot of questions. I'm just trying to figure out if CLEAR is a good choice or not. Comcast and Verizon FiOS aren't available in my area. Kinda sucks.

LinuxFanBoi
December 8th, 2009, 07:33 AM
They have plans on their site that have unlimited usage without overage charges. $10 per GB over is ridiculous!

Went to take a look to be sure, the plan with the cap is the cheapest mobile package. I suspect people who subscribe to that plan only do so until they get their first bill and realize just how little 1GB of data really is.

Comcast and Verizon FiOS aren't available in my area. Kinda sucks.

Even if you could get Comcast, would you really want it? Verizon is having issues because the people who own local fiber optic networks are not leasing access to them because they want to remain local monopolies.

Norami
December 8th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Haha, yeah. CLEAR probably does that for a reason. When I was searching through their packages I noticed something about overage charges, and just immediately started looking for unlimited usage plans only.

As far as Comcast vs Charter, I would pick Comacst any day of the week.

And I got lucky getting a livechat person that knows Linux:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/Norami/clear.jpg

Anyone out there tried ndiswrapper with CLEAR?

pwnst*r
December 8th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Well you can ask them if you can set up their service with equipment you buy on your own, like linksys hardware or something.
Most linksys routers work with linux.

ermm.. i've never run into any router that didn't work with linux.

dasunst3r
December 8th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I have it here in Marietta, GA (about 15 mi. Northwest of Atlanta), and it works very well -- it's VERY fast for wireless Internet service. My best advice is to get the home service, and hook it up to the router. The sign-up process was very easy -- the agent got my information, she typed in a MAC address of a modem, and it worked as soon as I plugged the Ethernet cord into my machine.

Excedio
December 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I might be able to run a little test for you. My company has provided me with a Sprint U300 to test, but I have not yet attempted to use it on my personal laptop running Karmic.

Is there anything specific you would like for me to try?

Expiercing
December 14th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Im using clear service right now and it works well. My plan has unlimited downloads. I have the usb modem and cant get it to work with ubuntu. the wired connection is good.

newbiefly
December 31st, 2009, 05:49 AM
hey Nora! did you ever try ndiswrapper? how'd it go? inquiring minds want to know!

thanks.

Khakilang
December 31st, 2009, 06:09 AM
Check first if your area is under their coverage and see if they have free trial period. Choose the one with network adapter, USB does not work with Linux. I know I try before.

newbiefly
December 31st, 2009, 08:36 AM
thanks Koh Kook Loon

rvndmnmt
January 26th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Tried the NDISwrapper. Keep on coming up with invalid install.

k64
January 26th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Don't you mean Xohm? For the record: Sprint bought out ClearWire.

That said, doesn't Sprint have cards instead of USB modems?

Uncle Spellbinder
January 26th, 2010, 04:32 PM
As far as Comcast vs Charter, I would pick Comacst any day of the week.

Unfortunately, nearly everyone in the States has no choice on which company to use. Most cities/towns have only one cable company and you're stuck with whomever is in your town.

Having said that, over the past 7 years, I've lived in 2 cities. One with Comcast, one with Charter. And Charter wins by a longshot. Comcast's traffic shaping prohibited the seeding of torrents for one thing and their customer service was lousy. Charter on the other hand has had no issues seeding torrents and has wonderful customer service.

juancarlospaco
January 26th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I dont find Wireless N where i live, and you asking for WiMAX...
:(

david78212
February 6th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I have the Clearwire USB modem, I am using it with the Cradlepoint CTR 500 router?gateway... I picked this one because it has the 12v vehicle adapter that you can get.
I have ZERO windows computers in my house, and was using Cricket before (slow and useless, don't bother) until I got the "Pick Two" plan... My friend has the other one, making our bill ~$33 each...

Is it unlimited? I have yet to "feel" like the bandwidth had been "cut down" and I watch a lot of shows on Hulu and such - 7 year old issue with Time Warner, they want $600 to hook up because they say I owe a converter box from, yup, 7 years ago... Bite me.

The Cradlepoint is a one time expense... and supports a good deal of modems out there, so yes is VERY much worth the $140 extra just so I wouldn't have to revert to winblows for ANYTHING!!! I have been winblows free for over 6 years now and don't intend on going back just so I connect to the Internet. The best thing about the Cradlepoint is you can set it up in another room, like on a window sill so you get the best signal, and just connect to it wirelessly...

At some point you have to make a decision and stick to it... I made mine and don't regret it one bit...

Would I recommend Clear Wire - Yup - and Cradlepoint, is who makes the little "Clear Spot"... It's the PHS300...

jmore9
May 7th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Here in Grand Rapids, mi we have comcast and sometime this summer will also have clear/comcast. I am looking at what hardware will work with clearwire at the moment. Also using 10.04.