PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updating Ubuntu and Grub

b1lancer
December 8th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I decided to install the updates for ubuntu 9.10 (update manager) and it asked me if I wanted to keep the current installed version of GRUB. Didn't know what it was and searched it.

GRUB apparently is that boot menu that appears (i have dual with xp). But I had decided to just keep the current version as that was the default option.

Question: Should I have upgraded to GRUB 2? If I wanted to activate that how would I?

outerspacerace
December 8th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Something to consider;

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8460333#post8460333

b1lancer
December 8th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks.

Fortunately I can still get into Windows. It runs XP so don't know if it works differently with 7.

darkod
December 8th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I decided to install the updates for ubuntu 9.10 (update manager) and it asked me if I wanted to keep the current installed version of GRUB. Didn't know what it was and searched it.

GRUB apparently is that boot menu that appears (i have dual with xp). But I had decided to just keep the current version as that was the default option.

Question: Should I have upgraded to GRUB 2? If I wanted to activate that how would I?

First of all, was the 9.10 clean install or upgraded from 9.04? With a clean install you would already have grub2 so it wouldn't be related to upgrading from grub1 to grub2.

In terminal do:
sudo grub-install -v

that will give you your version.

b1lancer
December 9th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I updated my laptop just fine and Grub wasn't an issue (it only has ubuntu).

On my netbook, I had XP already on it, and did a side-by-side with Ubuntu 9.10 and then ran update and that's when the Grub question arrived.

Thanks for the reply.