PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How would I write a bash script to check for duplicate entries in a HOSTS file?

k3lt01
December 8th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I am playing around with my HOSTS file so that when my server is fully functioning I can put it on the server and let the server do the work leaving my laptop and desktop computers to be as basic as possible.

What I have done is added a couple of freely available HOSTS files together and put them on the end of the standard Ubuntu HOSTS file. In the interests of a clean file I would like to check it easily for duplicate entries whenever I add more to it. Is there a way to write a bash script that will do this for me? or is this something beyond the capabilities of a bash script?

falconindy
December 8th, 2009, 05:29 AM
You can blindly do a once over on the file to make sure that no IPs are repeated.

sudo cp /etc/hosts{,.backup}
cat /etc/hosts.backup | grep ^# | sort -u | sudo tee /etc/hosts

k3lt01
December 8th, 2009, 05:43 AM
You can blindly do a once over on the file to make sure that no IPs are repeated.

sudo cp /etc/hosts{,.backup}
cat /etc/hosts.backup | grep ^# | sort -u | sudo tee /etc/hosts Thanks for that. I just tried it and because the file is so large it listed it in the terminal but as it kept listing the lower alphabetical order was not viewable anymore. It seems the terminal wont keep it all available for viewing. I should have known that would happen ;)

Many are repeated, just as I though, but there are still quite a few single entries.

Any other ideas? all help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Just went and checked the HOSTS file itself, because my browser started acting strange. This action totally re-wrote the original file, including the section at the beginning which Linux needs to be at the beginning.

falconindy
December 9th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks for that. I just tried it and because the file is so large it listed it in the terminal but as it kept listing the lower alphabetical order was not viewable anymore. It seems the terminal wont keep it all available for viewing. I should have known that would happen ;)

Many are repeated, just as I though, but there are still quite a few single entries.

Any other ideas? all help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Just went and checked the HOSTS file itself, because my browser started acting strange. This action totally re-wrote the original file, including the section at the beginning which Linux needs to be at the beginning.
1) The file was listed in the terminal because that's a side effect of the 'tee' command -- output is still sent to stdout but it's T'ed off to a file as well.

2) If you weren't getting the results you expected, its because your duplicate entries are only duplicates on a semantic level. There must be differences (likely white space) between the "duplicate" lines of data. The file likely requires a pass with sed to unify the lines.

3) Comments are comments. It is extremely rare that any OS program reads them. The hosts file is no special case. Likely, something was changed (incorrectly) when it was parsed. This is why you have a backup ;)

k3lt01
December 9th, 2009, 01:51 AM
The file likely requires a pass with sed to unify the lines. Can you explain this a little bit more please?

falconindy
December 9th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Can you explain this a little bit more please?
Consider the following two lines:

1.2.3.4 hostname.domain
1.2.3.4 hostname.domain
As far as you and I are concerned, these lines are equivalent. They convey the same information. As far as a program such as 'sort' is concerned, they're completely different. That may be the cause of some duplicates still in the file. Also, I realized there's another way (easier for me) to "unify" this structure:

cat /etc/hosts | grep -v # | awk '{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) printf "%s ", $i; print ""}' | sort -u > ~/hosts

This will print each field separated by a single space. Unless there's other anomalies that you haven't mentioned, this should clean things up a bit.

bodhi.zazen
December 9th, 2009, 02:02 AM
How about a one-liner ?

#!/bin/bash

#backup
cp -i /etc/hosts /root/hosts.bak

cat /etc/hosts | sort | uniq >| /etc/hosts

For details, see man uniq

The sort is helpful to sort the chaos of hundreds or thousands of hosts, but is not necessary.

falconindy
December 9th, 2009, 02:18 AM
How about a one-liner ?

#!/bin/bash

#backup

The sort is helpful to sort the chaos of hundreds or thousands of hosts, but is not necessary.
Except that 'uniq' and 'sort -u' behave very similarly. Neither one will account for differences in whitespace.

k3lt01
December 9th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I understand what you mean so far the bit below didn't seem to work though

Also, I realized there's another way (easier for me) to "unify" this structure:

cat /etc/hosts | grep -v # | awk '{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) printf "%s ", $i; print ""}' | sort -u > ~/hosts

This will print each field separated by a single space. Unless there's other anomalies that you haven't mentioned, this should clean things up a bit.

michael@michael-laptop:~$ cat /etc/hosts | grep -v # | awk '{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) printf "%s ", $i; print ""}' | sort -u > ~/hosts
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try `grep --help' for more information.
michael@michael-laptop:~$

k3lt01
December 9th, 2009, 02:38 AM
How about a one-liner ?

#!/bin/bash

#backup

The sort is helpful to sort the chaos of hundreds or thousands of hosts, but is not necessary.copy and pasting this as one copy/paste action into terminal just produces this

michael@michael-laptop:~$ #!/bin/bash
michael@michael-laptop:~$ #backup
michael@michael-laptop:~$ cp -i /etc/hosts /root/hosts.bak
cp: accessing `/root/hosts.bak': Permission denied
michael@michael-laptop:~$ cat /etc/hosts | sort | uniq >| /etc/hosts
bash: /etc/hosts: Permission denied
michael@michael-laptop:~$ Scripting is something I haven't got a clue about so please treat me like a student and give me an explanation.

I will check the man page to.

falconindy
December 9th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Oh. My bad. Change grep's options to:

-v "^#"

-v means ignore lines with the pattern given. The pattern given matches lines starting with a #.

k3lt01
December 9th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Oh. My bad. Change grep's options to:

-v "^#"

-v means ignore lines with the pattern given. The pattern given matches lines starting with a #.

So it should now read like

cat /etc/hosts | grep -v "^#" | awk '{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) printf "%s ", $i; print ""}' | sort -u > ~/hosts

Edit: That worked a treat thanks, there are just under 20000 lines in my HOSTS file, now I need to somehow easily delete duplicates without having to manually read each line.

bodhi.zazen
December 9th, 2009, 02:51 AM
You will have to run the script as root

sudo ./script

to remove white space, I suggest tr

# This command will both make a backup and remove white space and remove dups
sudo bash -c "sort /etc/hosts | tr '\t' ' ' | tr -s ' ' | uniq > /root/hosts.bak"If you are happy with the looks of /root/hosts.bak

sudo cp /root/hosts.bak /etc/hostsScript :

#!/bin/bash
sort /etc/hosts | tr '\t' ' ' | tr -s ' ' | uniq >| /root/hosts.new
mv /root/hosts.new /etc/hosts

slakkie
December 9th, 2009, 02:59 AM
hosts=$(sed -r 's#\s+# #g' /etc/hosts | grep -v "^#" | sort -u)
echo -e "$hosts" | sudo tee /etc/hosts

k3lt01
December 9th, 2009, 03:10 AM
You will have to run the script as root

sudo ./script

to remove white space, I suggest tr

# This command will both make a backup and remove white space and remove dups
sudo bash -c "sort /etc/hosts | tr '\t' ' ' | tr -s ' ' | uniq > /root/hosts.bak"If you are happy with the looks of /root/hosts.bak The resulting file is empty for some reason.

bodhi.zazen
December 9th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Not empty here, even with a direct cut and paste

Note: /etc/hosts is simplified here, just a mix of tabs and spaces + localhost

formatting was lost , so I added tabs and spaces

sudo cat /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 <tab> localhost
127.0.0.1 <tab>localhost
127.0.0.1 <sp><sp>localhost
127.0.0.1 <sp>localhost

sudo rm /root/hosts.bak

sudo cat /root/hosts.bak
cat: /root/hosts.bak: No such file or directory

sudo bash -c "sort /etc/hosts | tr '\t' ' ' | tr -s ' ' | uniq > /root/hosts.bak"

sudo cat /root/hosts.bak

127.0.0.1 localhost

k3lt01
December 9th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Thanks for your patience, like I said scripting is something I haven't got a clue about, I have no doubt I have missed something along the way here.

Would you step by step that process for me, I think its the only way I'll get it working correctly and learn from the process. Sorry to be a pain in the proverbial.

k3lt01
December 9th, 2009, 03:44 AM
echo -e "$hosts" | sudo tee /etc/hosts
Thanks for this slakkie, I haven't tried it yet as I want to be able to check it before it is copied back into /etc/hosts. Does this remove any duplicates? from the other scripts posted it looks like there are about 3000 duplicate lines between the two HOSTS I have merged.

bodhi.zazen
December 9th, 2009, 03:46 AM
OK

First scripting is nothing more then bash commands in a text file with #!/bin/bash at the top.

You then make the script executable with chmod

chmod a+x ./script

and run it

./script

You can add it to your path by putting it in ~/bin

The command I (and others) gave you nothing more then a series of commands linked together with a pipe, or |

so the output of command 1 is sent to command 2 ;)

the rest is in man
man grep
man awk
man unique
mand sort
man tr

combined with an understanding of regular expressions and what escape sequences are in the bash shell ( \t is a tab , \n is a new line, etc).

So, the command I gave you

1. sort /etc/hosts -> pipe the output to
2. tr '\t' ' ' -> replace tabs with a single space, note syntax '\t'<sp>'<sp>'
3. tr tr -s ' ' -> compress all spaces to a single space
* see man tr for details
4. uniq -> now that we have removed all white space, list all names once.

5. > /root/hosts.bak = redirect output to /root/hosts.bak

If you wish to learn bash scripting, you really need to start with learning to read man pages . They are hard at first, but they tell you all you need to know and serve as a reference.

Then look at this site : http://linuxcommand.org/

Regular expressions are another issue, see

http://www.zytrax.com/tech/web/regex.htm

Again, no one memorized regular expressions, we learn them with use and know where to look for examples (google is your friend).

k3lt01
December 9th, 2009, 04:38 AM
OK

First scripting is nothing more then bash commands in a text file with #!/bin/bash at the top.

You then make the script executable with chmod

chmod a+x ./script

and run it

./script

You can add it to your path by putting it in ~/bin

The command I (and others) gave you nothing more then a series of commands linked together with a pipe, or |

so the output of command 1 is sent to command 2 ;)

the rest is in man
man grep
man awk
man unique
mand sort
man tr

combined with an understanding of regular expressions and what escape sequences are in the bash shell ( \t is a tab , \n is a new line, etc).

So, the command I gave you

1. sort /etc/hosts -> pipe the output to
2. tr '\t' ' ' -> replace tabs with a single space, note syntax '\t'<sp>'<sp>'
3. tr tr -s ' ' -> compress all spaces to a single space
* see man tr for details
4. uniq -> now that we have removed all white space, list all names once.

5. > /root/hosts.bak = redirect output to /root/hosts.bak

If you wish to learn bash scripting, you really need to start with learning to read man pages . They are hard at first, but they tell you all you need to know and serve as a reference.

Then look at this site : http://linuxcommand.org/

Regular expressions are another issue, see

http://www.zytrax.com/tech/web/regex.htm

Again, no one memorized regular expressions, we learn them with use and know where to look for examples (google is your friend).

Thanks Bodhi,zazen. I'll take a look at the links you supplied. I have read through the man pages even before this thread, you're right they are not the easiest to get a grip on.

bodhi.zazen
December 9th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Aye, the man pages are intimidating, but once you get the hang of it you will be glad you did.

Just keep on asking for assistance, asking questions, trying new things, and read.

slakkie
December 9th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks for this slakkie, I haven't tried it yet as I want to be able to check it before it is copied back into /etc/hosts. Does this remove any duplicates? from the other scripts posted it looks like there are about 3000 duplicate lines between the two HOSTS I have merged.

If you want to see the output before you write to the /etc/host file just do:

echo -e "$hosts"

I've captured the output of in a variable which I then echo to the hostfile, if you remove the | sudo tee /etc/hosts from the original code I gave you it will send output to your terminal.

k3lt01
December 10th, 2009, 12:01 AM
@bodhi.zazen - I'm working on it, lol.

@slakkie - Thanks mate, much appreciated.

@falconindy - Thanks for your help, I have gone more in your direction and it is working well now.

@ the 3 of you - I'll work on each one as they are all a bit different, even though they will have the same outcome in the long run. Its just a matter of me getting used to this. cli seems to be the heart of Linux and I really do want to figure out what methods I will be most comfortable with.

slakkie
December 10th, 2009, 12:58 PM
@bodhi.zazen - I'm working on it, lol.

@slakkie - Thanks mate, much appreciated.

@falconindy - Thanks for your help, I have gone more in your direction and it is working well now.

@ the 3 of you - I'll work on each one as they are all a bit different, even though they will have the same outcome in the long run. Its just a matter of me getting used to this. cli seems to be the heart of Linux and I really do want to figure out what methods I will be most comfortable with.

It is like Perl's motto, there is more than one way to do it.