PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Karmic - Desktop CD or alternate CD ?

oygle
December 8th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I have all the 9.04 updates applied to date.

I want the option to be able to either (i) do a clean install, or (ii) upgrade from the CD

Do I download the desktop CD, or the alternate CD ?

There is not much info I can find, that spells out, the differences/restrictions on these 2 ISO's

Oygle

plusnplus
December 8th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Hi oygle,
As i know, there is no upgrade from the cd from old version to new version.
desktop cd= normal installation
alternate cd= more option about how/ the way to install it

oygle
December 8th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Okay thanks. So, both the desktop cd and the alternate cd are for new installations only.

I guess I could press 'upgrade' button in the update manager, then press 'cancel', and I should get a list of all the .DEB's to download for an upgrade. It's just that my internet connection is not stable/reliable at present, and I wouldn't like to start an upgrade, and not be able to finish it.

MelDJ
December 8th, 2009, 11:33 AM
hi oygle
the alternate cd uses the text based installer while the live cd uses the gui installer.
i would say get the live cd. you will just have to add the cdrom to your sources list
but i would really recommend you to do a clean install after seeing many people face problems after an update

oygle
December 8th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks MelDJ. By 'live CD', I assume you mean the 'Desktop CD' ?

Yes, I'd prefer a clean install. Just need to find out how to reformat the HDD, or possibly that is an option on the Dektop CD.

MelDJ
December 8th, 2009, 11:51 AM
yes i meant it as the desktop cd (sorry if i caused a misunderstanding)
to format the whole drive, just tell the installer to use the whole disk. and yes you can do it with the desktop/live cd

oygle
December 8th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks MelDJ :p