PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Auto system update just messed up my system (9.04)

tinball66
December 8th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I need some help please.

I just performed an automated update to my system (9.04) and now my screen resolution will not go above 1024x768 and I cannot use my mouse to click on dialog boxes or confirmation buttons. Does anyone have any idea what happened and how I can recover from this? I really do not want to wipe the install and lose everything.

The mouse issue is the most annoying as that I have to navigate by keyboard and makes choosing buttons - especially those things clipped off the bottom of the screen because of the lowered resolution difficult (or even near impossible) to navigate.

Concerning the video resolution... I have attempted to change the hardware driver to roll back to an older version of the nvidia driver v173 but it was even worse and wouldn't go above 640x480 and had to reinstall v180 back to be able to at least use 1024x768. When I attempt to modify the display settings, I get a notification that says "It appears that your graphics driver does not support the necessary extensions to use this tool. Do you want to use your graphics driver vendor's tool instead?" Y/N. It doesn't matter which I chose, I cannot get above 1024x768 at 50Hz.

Thanks in advance for any help.