PDA

View Full Version : what is the point of getting Linux instead of Windows?

jaiaucuneide
February 23rd, 2006, 02:08 AM
what is the point of getting Linux instead of Windows? (Besides $ reasons):twisted:

alfonz
February 23rd, 2006, 02:13 AM
personal choice/preference
freedom
no anoying daily security updates
apps seem to work faster in Linux for me at least
something new/different to try

and the list goes on....."beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Robgould
February 23rd, 2006, 02:16 AM
If the idea of playing with a new os and learning more about your compute and computers in general does not appeal to you, there is no point whatsoever. The dollar reasons will not get it done for you here. If it is just about the money you will be frustrated and leave soon.

ronmarley1
February 23rd, 2006, 02:17 AM
Where do I start...? The community of users is pretty much reason enough for me. You could list tons of specific things ($, like you said; software choices; security; lack of viruses; lack of spyware; stability; and on and on). But, really, when it comes down to it, the community is the best!

darkmaze
February 23rd, 2006, 02:20 AM
do you want to own your computer or just rent it? with windows i got the feelin Gates was just renting it to me until it was time for an upgrade.

az
February 23rd, 2006, 02:23 AM
what is the point of getting Linux instead of Windows? (Besides $ reasons):twisted:

The software is not property. This does not only mean cost, since you can sell free-libre software.

The freedom to know what your computer is doing means that the software has to be available to you in source code form, if you wish to see it. The licencing of the software is such that it belongs to everyone, instead of it belonging to only the author, or the author's employer.

You have the right to take the program, improve it and redistribute it with only the obligation to use the same licencing (meaning that is still remains everybody's property). That's how free-libre software can get better and better really quickly. Zoom!

Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut? Do you think it would be morally correct for a book publisher to get and enforce a patent on "a book about a man and a woman"? Since software is just code that anyone would deduce anyway, a patent on software more closely resembles that than anything else.

There's more but I'll let you chew on that for a while...

simoncoul
February 23rd, 2006, 02:25 AM
The ubuntu community is one of the best compared to the other top rated linux distros(distrowatch will give u info and screen shots of most distrobutions).

jaiaucuneide
February 23rd, 2006, 02:30 AM
u have me convinced...;)

darknightuk
February 23rd, 2006, 02:32 AM
i think the question "what is the point of getting Linux instead of Windows?" is wrong if you mean why as a desktop user should you use linux i can think of very few reason other than a perverse likeing of constantly solveing over complex problems to things that should be simple, stability is NOT an issue in windows xp i can count the number of crashes on 1 hand on xp in the years i have used it and while the linux kernel may be stable the a lot of distros and apps are far from stable even if you are lucky enougth to get something working 100%.
so unless you have lots and LOTS of time on your hand linux is damm hard work as desktop O's and for the life of me i can't figure why the hell i use it:-k

darknightuk
February 23rd, 2006, 02:34 AM
The software is not property. This does not only mean cost, since you can sell free-libre software.

The freedom to know what your computer is doing means that the software has to be available to you in source code form, if you wish to see it. The licencing of the software is such that it belongs to everyone, instead of it belonging to only the author, or the author's employer.

You have the right to take the program, improve it and redistribute it with only the obligation to use the same licencing (meaning that is still remains everybody's property). That's how free-libre software can get better and better really quickly. Zoom!

Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut? Do you think it would be morally correct for a book publisher to get and enforce a patent on "a book about a man and a woman"? Since software is just code that anyone would deduce anyway, a patent on software more closely resembles that than anything else.

There's more but I'll let you chew on that for a while...
but what relevance does this all have to an average desktop user admins programmers maybe but to joe public?

rfruth
February 23rd, 2006, 02:35 AM
No more patch Tuesday ...

Kernel Sanders
February 23rd, 2006, 02:59 AM
As I love windows, I would say, FREEDOM, PRIVACY, IDEOLOGY.

If you value your freedom, your right to privacy, and you support the ideology of Ubuntu, then you should make an effort to learn about Linux in general, not just Ubuntu, no matter how excellent windows becomes (Vista isnt excellent by the way, its a piece of bloated, over-complicated, DRM filled ****)

My 2 cents...

\\:D/

xequence
February 23rd, 2006, 03:03 AM
Why use linux over windows?

Use it over windows if it works better then windows for you. If windows works better, use windows. If OSX works better use OSX.

kelsey23
February 23rd, 2006, 03:08 AM
*nix > Windows. End of discussion. I've probalby used more OSes than you thought exist, and *nix out performs everytime.

xequence
February 23rd, 2006, 03:09 AM
*nix > Windows. End of discussion. I've probalby used more OSes than you thought exist, and *nix out performs everytime.

Thats your opinion... Care to tell us why?

kelsey23
February 23rd, 2006, 03:13 AM
why don't you play around with a host of differnet operating systems (btw, there IS more than Linux, Windows, and Mac OS out there), and see for yourself?

steveneddy
February 23rd, 2006, 03:13 AM
I personally started by wanting to know what all the talk was about, this Linux stuff.....so I started with Knoppix, learned how to install it from the live cd, found Puppy, installed it, found DSL...played with it. Then I stumbled upon Ubuntu, it was a gift from a co-worker's husband.

Linux is exciting, Linux is fun...something new to learn....it is easy to use and manipulate to YOUR liking. I have found Linux more flexable, more stable and faster than Windows. I can customize the look, the options for booting and the programs _I_ choose to install, or _not_ install. I can choose my Mp3 player, my CD burner, my internet browser, my office and word processing program. I am free to give it to my friends without Bill asking me for my license.

I used to think that Linux wasn't for everyone. That was before I "found" Ubuntu. NOW I believe that Linux can be for everyone.

Tell your friends, tell your family. Linux is the wave of the future.

No bugs, no virus, no trojans, no wierdness from the internet. I fell safe and I am in control.

kelsey23
February 23rd, 2006, 03:23 AM
I'm glad your optimistic about GNU/Linux but it *CAN* have viruses, it *CAN* be hacked. Not as frequently as Windows, but it is still possible. No you don't have lisences, but Ubuntu makes you get the newest version just to get the binary of PHP 5 <_<

aysiu
February 23rd, 2006, 03:27 AM
INo you don't have lisences, but Ubuntu makes you get the newest version just to get the binary of PHP 5 <_< Makes you get the newest version? The newest version is free. And the binary is a convenience. If you're opposed to getting the new free version of Ubuntu, you can compile PHP5 from source...

xequence
February 23rd, 2006, 03:32 AM
why don't you play around with a host of differnet operating systems (btw, there IS more than Linux, Windows, and Mac OS out there), and see for yourself?

I know there is more. Ive tried installing FreeBSD and it didnt work.

About my "if ___ works for you, use it", I cant name all the OSes, I am much to lazy for that.

I just like to hear peoples crazy "OMZORZ, U BOOOT UP WINZORZDOSE AN U AUTOMATCLY HV VIRASES!!1!!!" anti windows FUD stuff.

kelsey23
February 23rd, 2006, 03:34 AM
True true true, but it is the principal they make you upgrade. If I want to update my server that has an httpd and an ircd on it..why should I have to cause a netsplit because I have to install a new OS...the binaries are available, why not make them available for everyone? Isn't that the Ubuntu philosophy? oh, and btw I like Gnome 2.10 better anyway

Kvark
February 23rd, 2006, 03:34 AM
The only system maintenance I do on Ubuntu is making backups of my personal files. Once properly set up the system just keeps working without any effort from my part. All the time I used to spend on keeping my Windows system healthy, fast, secure and up to date is worth far more then the $.

But for many others it's the other way around in that they waste a lot of time on trying to solve a lot of problems and get Ubuntu to work like they want it to. It depends on if your hardware works with Ubuntu and on if there are Linux programs that can cover your specific computing needs as well as your old Windows programs do.

Sadie
February 23rd, 2006, 03:40 AM
One day your packages will get old, and you'll need to update them. The best thing isn't always to just install a new version of the OS. Older versions can still be kept up to date. That's the good thing about linux.

briancurtin
February 23rd, 2006, 03:44 AM
you also could just answer the question, instead of acting like an OS snob.

Gijith
February 23rd, 2006, 03:55 AM
I just switched over to Linux a few months ago. Up until then, I did nothing but make fun of Linux people. As a pretty low end user, I didn't understand why someone would want to expend so much time tweaking an OS when Windows works so well (for me at least) out of the box. I still use Windows out of choice sometimes. I have no problems with Microsoft. And there's a decent probability that I'll switch back when Vista comes out (if this is even possible...?). At the moment, (k)ubuntu is simply better.

Main reasons behind this sorta embarrassing conversion:
1) Customization. I can't speak much for Gnome, but KDE offers more ways than I can count to organize every aspect of your PC. I spend a lot of time on my computer for my job. Any way to make my experience easier is very valuable. Not to mention, all this freedom allows you to make your desktop a lot prettier than any Windows desktop.
2) Apt-get. I could hardly believe the ease of this setup when I first encountered it. A+
3) Security. I know this gets tossed around a lot. And yes, Windows can be very secure. I don't think I ever got a major XP bug. But just not having to worry about it, or eat up resources running a bunch of protection, is nice.
4) Performace. Things seem marginally faster on kubuntu than on XP. Really, not much difference. But, in a lot of ways, kubuntu is beyond XP. When Vista comes out, I'm guessing the difference will be staggering.
5) Community! Definitely the best reason to switch. And the most suprising. In real life, I've hated every Linux person I've met. But once I was introduced to this online community, I was taken aback at their helpfulness, enthusiasm and lack of any sign of bitter revenge of the nerds style ego. As someone who never once touched the command line in Windows, switching to ubuntu truly felt like jumping into the ocean without knowing how to swim. I was glad to find thousands of people more than willing to keep me above water until I learned to tread.

Stormy Eyes
February 23rd, 2006, 04:29 AM
I'm glad your optimistic about GNU/Linux but it *CAN* have viruses, it *CAN* be hacked. Not as frequently as Windows, but it is still possible.

If you get pwned while running Linux, it's your fault.

XDevHald
February 23rd, 2006, 04:37 AM
I've been running linux for over a year, and never had a problem of getting owned by a lamer with no life. Administration and Networking skills are deffinently a plus to have while running linux.

If not then please take the time do so, or, like Stormy Eyes said,
If you get pwned while running Linux, it's your fault.

GreyFox503
February 23rd, 2006, 04:54 AM
This is all very true. I feel like I am more in control with my Linux system. Windows in comparison feels more like an amusement park ride where I am told to keep my hands inside the vehicle at all times...

Actually that analogy works well, because of the amusement park prices... :)

Four main categories of reasons:

1) Technical. Some people feel that Unix systems are just plain technically better than Windows. They may not care about the software being free at all, they just think it works better.

2) Moral. Some like Free software and choose to use it over any proprietary software, including Windows/Mac. See gnu.org

3) Anti-Microsoft. Some don't so much like Linux as they dislike Microsoft. Although this usually won't get you very far by itself.

4) Price. Free software for your desktop is widely available for free.

EDIT: That's four.

Iandefor
February 23rd, 2006, 05:48 AM
Political reasons- Freedom and all that jazz
Economic reasons- Cheaper!
Security reasons- Not as much malware
Preference- I rather like Linux!

mstlyevil
February 23rd, 2006, 08:01 AM
XGL/Compiz! Vista is not expected to ship until December so Linux gives us eye candy nuts a fix without having to pay the preminum price for a Mac with OSX.

poofyhairguy
February 23rd, 2006, 08:08 AM
XGL/Compiz! Vista is not expected to ship until December so Linux gives us eye candy nuts a fix without having to pay the preminum price for a Mac with OSX.

Thats a point I can agree with!

But the real big answer is community. The people, the guides, the time spent helping others. All worth a lot to me.

purdy hate machine
February 23rd, 2006, 09:00 AM
What’s the point in drinking coffee instead of tea?
Damn choice, there should be a law against it. :rolleyes:

DrFunkenstein
February 23rd, 2006, 09:07 AM
What’s the point in drinking coffee instead of tea?
Damn choice, there should be a law against it. :rolleyes:
Lol, exactly. Having a choice is terrible I tell you.
And clearly, those who drink tea only do it to spite coffe because of some ideological reasons. Zealots, I tell you, evil zealots...
:-D

GreyFox503
February 23rd, 2006, 09:17 AM
Macintosh must be the frappuccino from Starbucks!

purdy hate machine
February 23rd, 2006, 09:21 AM
Lol, exactly. Having a choice is terrible I tell you.
And clearly, those who drink tea only do it to spite coffe because of some ideological reasons. Zealots, I tell you, evil zealots...
:-D

Just you wait until Nescafe Vista is released.. you will all be drinking tea then mark my words !

sbasak
February 23rd, 2006, 02:52 PM
Why do people drive different brands of cars? Because they like them.
People use Linux because they like it. On the other hand, most people use Windows not just they like it, but since it comes pre-loaded with their computers!

If you like Windows, use it. Else use Linux. Its your computer, so choice is yours.