I have a 3 year old Vista Ultimate PC.
Stats:
DG965WH motherboard
Intel Core2 Quad, 2.4 GHz
NVIDIA 8600 GT
4 Gigs of Ram
500 gig C drive
1Tb I drive

I have already partitioned 50 Gigs of the I drive off to install Ubuntu 9.10 for a dual boot. I first tried to install using a flash drive, but my BIOS didn't support it, so instead of messing with plop, i burnt a CD. I got the CD to work, but after saying "install ubuntu," the system freezes. I've tried all of the F6 options, and nothing works.
I also tried Plop, but I don't know how to make it actually load/work past the initial phase of creating the boot.ini crap. As in: on startup it stops working after i select it.
PLEASE HELP!

mechashiva119
December 8th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Bump for out of ideas

phillw
December 8th, 2009, 03:31 AM
I have a 3 year old Vista Ultimate PC.
Stats:
DG965WH motherboard
Intel Core2 Quad, 2.4 GHz
NVIDIA 8600 GT
4 Gigs of Ram
500 gig C drive
1Tb I drive

I have already partitioned 50 Gigs of the I drive off to install Ubuntu 9.10 for a dual boot. I first tried to install using a flash drive, but my BIOS didn't support it, so instead of messing with plop, i burnt a CD. I got the CD to work, but after saying "install ubuntu," the system freezes. I've tried all of the F6 options, and nothing works.
I also tried Plop, but I don't know how to make it actually load/work past the initial phase of creating the boot.ini crap. As in: on startup it stops working after i select it.
PLEASE HELP!

My 1st suspicion is your CD is 'bad' - the LiveCD gives you the option to check it - I'd do that 1st. If it fails, then md5 check your iso file --> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

check the CD, then run it in 'trial' mode (Do not alter computer) and ensure it is happy with your system. It's not a 100% guarantee, but should flag up any immediate problems with wireless, audio, video etc.

Remember to burn cd's at 4X speed - any faster and you're cruising for a bruising.

Regards,

Phill.

mechashiva119
December 8th, 2009, 05:19 AM
AH that was excellent advice! Thanks so much! I'm posting this from Ubuntu right now!

Still one problem, when trying to install onto the partition i set up on drive I, I can't seem to find it, and it keeps wanting to install onto drive C. Any takers?